User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
I am in Appleton, Wi.and my brother told me there was a story on the news the other night that Schneider wasnt giving out any raises company wide this year. Hawk Jr. have you gotten a qualcom or anything that says anything like that?
naw i haven't received a message like that and i heard it also.. I heard on the Pumpkin board.. I know they was doing something with IC's and the 401 K plan thats bout it.. But yeah i hope that's not the case.. I'm due an 3 cents raise in the due month... THATS BIG MONEY lol!! but i'm going to ask my DM when i get back to the DC!!
Old 03-23-2009, 06:35 PM
Rookie

Ive been with Schneider for 2 1/2 years out of Fontana doing local. They are a pretty good company, but been pretty slow lately. Theyve laid off around a 100 drivers and they have froze our pay raises till Feb. Theyve shut down all the schools and hire experienced drivers only now.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Senior Board Member

localorange, i take you know jarod and his gaycabbing ways. :rofl:
Old 03-25-2009, 02:19 AM

I am considering Schneider, too. They are ready to set up a date for orientation and all. However, the lady told me OTR van drivers are only getting about 2200 miles/week. You are out for 14 days and only get home for 2 days. Do the math at 36cpm*300ish miles/day and working 320 days per year. It seems like you will be driving 5-6 hours a day and sitting for 18-19 hours/day. Plus, you have to have hazmat and I don't recall them saying they pay more for hazmat loads.

Transport America said they will get back to me tomorrow. According to the lady there, they are averaging 10k miles/month. They pay 4cpm extra for hazmat loads (and they need drivers with hazmat). I will get more hometime with them, too.

Currently, those are the only two prospects I have.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:03 AM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!

I started off with Schneider in mid 2006. I was sent home from training because I couldn't shift to save my life and I couldn't back into the broad side of a barn. I owed them $4,000 for training. I got my CDL through a local school and they told me I could come back with a CDL and work 1 year and they would drop the $4,000 debt. They stuck to their word and I ended up working for them for 15 months.

They treated me decent but OTR did not. I ended up finding a local job but I did gain a lot of experience while I was there. I drove regional on the Walmart account. Ohio and all border states.

They still send postcards trying to get me to come back and even called one time.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:59 PM

ohiomohawk,

So I'm guessing you worked out of Washington Court House? I worked out of Olney, IL. We used to pick up loads of watermelons and cantelopes from Poseyville, IN and bring them to WCH.

The Wal Mart account really wasn't bad. You got where you knew where every store was and every backhaul. Even if it had been a while, you could remember when you got there to make your turns to find the docks. If you hadn't been there, just go to the driver lounge and ask some other drivers. They would always help with directions.

I guess I hired on at a "perfect" time. Schneider was so paranoid about the 07 engines, the went to buying new trucks like crazy. Just about everyone out of our DC had a pretty new truck. The even spec'ed them out better than Heartland or Earl Henderson does. I started solo in August, got my new 06 Freightliner in January of 06. As I said before, it had 24 miles on it when I picked it up out of Indy.

I've thought about checking with them about working out of the Wal Mart in London, KY (like 100 miles away) but when I blow buy some of the Schneider-Mart trucks while I'm going 64, I rethink it. Its a long day in a 64 mph truck, even longer at 60...
Old 03-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A Frederick View Post
ohiomohawk,

So I'm guessing you worked out of Washington Court House? I worked out of Olney, IL. We used to pick up loads of watermelons and cantelopes from Poseyville, IN and bring them to WCH.

The Wal Mart account really wasn't bad. You got where you knew where every store was and every backhaul. Even if it had been a while, you could remember when you got there to make your turns to find the docks. If you hadn't been there, just go to the driver lounge and ask some other drivers. They would always help with directions.

I guess I hired on at a "perfect" time. Schneider was so paranoid about the 07 engines, the went to buying new trucks like crazy. Just about everyone out of our DC had a pretty new truck. The even spec'ed them out better than Heartland or Earl Henderson does. I started solo in August, got my new 06 Freightliner in January of 06. As I said before, it had 24 miles on it when I picked it up out of Indy.

I've thought about checking with them about working out of the Wal Mart in London, KY (like 100 miles away) but when I blow buy some of the Schneider-Mart trucks while I'm going 64, I rethink it. Its a long day in a 64 mph truck, even longer at 60...
Great Choice!!! See where i'm at in Gordonsville this wal mart account wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have dumb ass office people and my dbl is an jerk, and we slip seat these dirty ass trucks!! this account could be one of the best in all of trucking but with Schneider's penny pinching it will never be!! I'm just hoping that they lose this account to someone because at times it's not a bad account and u can make money here IF you work more than 5 days a week.. but as long as their Bright Dirty Oragne pulling Wally Boxes it will always be pitfull.. I'm just waiting until i can jump on that U.S. Xpress Wal Mart Dedicated, or at least try!! lol..

And to the Max fella, Schneider doesn't require you to have a Hazmat!! who ever told you that gave you some BS!! Hell i think Schneider said that less than 5% of their freight is Hazmat...
Old 03-25-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr View Post
Great Choice!!! See where i'm at in Gordonsville this wal mart account wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have dumb ass office people and my dbl is an jerk, and we slip seat these dirty ass trucks!! this account could be one of the best in all of trucking but with Schneider's penny pinching it will never be!! I'm just hoping that they lose this account to someone because at times it's not a bad account and u can make money here IF you work more than 5 days a week.. but as long as their Bright Dirty Oragne pulling Wally Boxes it will always be pitfull.. I'm just waiting until i can jump on that U.S. Xpress Wal Mart Dedicated, or at least try!! lol..

And to the Max fella, Schneider doesn't require you to have a Hazmat!! who ever told you that gave you some BS!! Hell i think Schneider said that less than 5% of their freight is Hazmat...
The recruiter told me they are CURRENTLY only hiring drivers with hazmat (a few days ago). All trucking companies are being very selective right now. It's not a big deal. I already have the background check and fingerprinting. I am just waiting for the approval letter to go take the test. However, according to the info I got from the recruiter, driving only 4400 miles in two weeks (and then get two days off) is not worth it though. 36x44= 1584 / 14 days = $113/day for 19 hrs of babysitting a truck and only driving 5 hrs/day. That comes to $41k/yr working 320 days a year. That's insane! I made that the last job I had...and I had twice as many days off. I never touched a load either. At least for me, it is too much time on the road for too little pay. You can't have any life of your own. By the time you get home, you are burnt out. Then, it's time to go back out again. They are looking for bulk drivers, too...and pay 39cpm. Driving tanker, I would make a few thousand more a year. If they could offer more hometime or more mileage, I would definitely consider it more seriously...like 2200 miles in five days and two days off. Or a regional or dedicated with more hometime and miles...but I don't think they have any regional or dedicated available right now where I live.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:35 PM

Here are some more good things I thought of the Wal Mart accounts that Hawk, Jr. can back up with me.

1. You didn't have to worry about fuel. All Wal Marts have one fuel island where you fueled your truck and trailer before you dropped, or you could fuel your trailer before you pulled it out (if it had a backhaul on it and it was down on fuel). Problem was when you went to a different DC. If it was a Schneider run DC, no problem, use the fuel pumps. But if it was run by Werner or someone (like the one in Tomah, WI where we had a lot of backhauls going in) we had to top off the trailer at a Pilot before we got there.

AND- if you needed fuel on the road, it was easy. When I worked there (don't know how it is now) Schneider would make your fuel card a "dedicated" card. All that meant was the card would work at more places than the OTR card would. As big as SNI is, they used a lot of fuel stops for dedicated trucks, and I got to use them all. When I worked there about every Pilot was a dedicated fuel stop because one or more dedicated accounts needed that particular Pilot. It was handy.

2. You didn't have to worry about weight for the most part. When you left the DC you had to scale out and ensure it wasn't overweight either gross or on any axle. They had a small axle scale to use. When you came with a backhaul in most of the time you could take routes that didn't have scales. Even if you had to scale it, you could use your ComData card to buy a CAT scale. Most of the time you didn't have to scale it out though.

3. You had some nice places to sleep. Some cities wouldn't allow a truck to park at the Wal Mart, but not many in my area. With a Wal-Mart trailer, you could park at any Wal-Mart or Sam's Club for your 10 hour break. Most of these were close enough to somewhere you could get a bite to eat to walk to. That was handy. Of course you knew the closest WM parking lot for every backhaul. Other than that you were running a lot of 2 lane roads with small truck stops where you could always find a spot to camp out for the night.

There were also things I didn't like about it:

1. Trailer maintenance wasn't very good. Wal Mart was buying new trailers, but they didn't get very many new reefers. Most of the tires were questionable as to their road worthiness. This being said, I never had to have a service truck come to put a new tire on a trailer. Most of them we would catch flat when we hooked up the the trailer.

2. Some of the backhauls were great, most were run-of-the-mill, some sucked big time. I hated going into some of those cold storage places in Chicago or Indianapolis to get a load. A lot of time you'd spend all day waiting in a dock at one of those places. I don't remember if we got any detention pay for that or not. Probably not. I really liked picking up watermelons in Poseyville, IN. You'd just park on the side of the farm road and take your break. I liked places you could take a break.

3. My STL was a jerk, too. I hated him. The woman I had when I first went solo was great, but I got a new STL after 90 days or whatever and got this guy. Wasn't a fan of him at all. His son was a driver there (real weird kid). After he drove about 3 months they gave him a job in the office on nights a weekends, cutting the regular night guys' hours down.

Thats about it. Someone should start a Wal-Mart grocery DC thread on here so drivers from all the companies can get together to trade notes. I'd like to know who the best to work for is out of a Wal Mart. I know I've been in DC's run by Schneider, Werner, Crete, Swift, Brisk, and maybe one other, but I can't remember. Crete had one in Sterling, IL. From what I heard, they lost the contract because their on time rate was so bad. I did talk to a driver from up there and they said Crete was having a hard time hiring enough drivers. He said they were running like dogs and he had just had enough time off for a 34 hour restart for the last month, but this was like 3 years ago now.

They are really sweet deals if you live close to the DC. I lived 25 miles, I went home 2-3 or more nights a week. After I worked there 6 months or so I went to a 5 on, 2 off schedule. I was off Tuesdays and Wednesdays, having to go back to work Thurs (usually afternoon/evening). SNI had about a dozen different ways to have time off. 5 and 2's with different days off (they had a Sat/Sun off, but it was like pulling teeth to get on it. They only let a few guys on it.) 6 and 2's. 11 and 3 (yeah, some guys wanted this), 6 and 1, etc. Everyone who came on had to start on 6 and 2 and then you could transfer to what you wanted, they didn't make you get on any one program.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:41 AM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!

I was required to have HAZMAT with Schneider. They told us you have to have it before you come to training even though you don't need it on Walmart.

I wasn't going to post this but I attempted to go back to Walmart in WCH and the head guy up there told me it was fine with him. Green Bay told me that they shrunk their hiring area so I called back to Washington Couthouse to see what was going on.

The head of the Washington Courthouse Schneider fleet got on the phone and talked to me in a very nasty and disrespectfull tone simply because I called to ask what was going on. He seemed so nice for the 15 months I was there but he talked to me like I was a piece of s*** and I still really don't know why. I was there 15 months never called off, no accidents and no incidents. I even talked to the superiors up in Green Bay about it and they don't know why he acted that way.

So as far as I am concerned even though they will let come back to their National Fleet I will never work for them again.