User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2009, 08:27 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I understand and empathize with company drivers that get their truck speed turned down. With only a set rate per mile and no real incentive to make more by slowing down.

But that being said.... I own my truck, usually drive 62-63 mph, disabled the EGR on my '06 Cummins engine and am averaging well over 7 mpg (even with running on the heavy side most days). Since my fuel surcharge is based on 5.5 mpg, I am pocketing more of the loot in fuel, tire, and maintenance savings. I can increase my net quite a bit doing the slow game. Now... if the companies would provide a monetary incentive to the company drivers, like say all of the savings above a certain level mpg would go to the driver, then they wouldn't have to cut trucks back and you would see all kinds of fuel efficient driving out here. Then when a driver needs to "get into it" to get around a car on the two lane before smacking into that oncoming vehicle, they could punch it, get around, and then go back to tweaking out the fuel mileage to get that added bonus.

But the companies want it all.... the fuel savings and the added life out of the equipment and tires without giving some of the gravy back to the driver who makes it all happen.

I have no problem letting a lot of trucks pass me daily. Since I am increasing my net profits by thousands, I can comfortably let everyone run on by me. And for those that think they will get run over by the faster trucks..... just remember, they have about 60 feet of trailer and sleeper to get to you, but they only have 6-7 foot of hood to get to them. Who do you think will win that confrontation?

Last edited by Copperhead; 05-04-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:40 AM

I'm just a pebble in the stream. Everybody goes around me, except in California. Swift says we're governed at 62, the speedo says 60, those radar signs always tell me I'm too fast. But I don't care. Just pass me will ya? I'm just a pebble in the stream.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:19 AM
Senior Board Member

My truck is governed at 68, I seem to pass more trucks then trucks passing me.

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 05-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Rookie

My brother drives for a mail contractor and their speed has been cut to 68. His company had to repay the post office 1.6 million dollars last year because they went over on their allowed amount of fuel for each run. His truck was not governed and that thing would blast down the highway. I tried to run with him a few times my truck doing 82 and I could not keep up with him. He told me a few months ago that even though their speed was cut they got a 50 cent raise after that so he really doesn't care about the speed.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Ours, IWX, are set at 68mph too. But it sure would be nice to be able to at least drive the speed limit in our home state of Arizona....
Old 05-06-2009, 03:01 AM
Senior Board Member

60 mph... it speaks for itself.. but i wil say this i do feel special when i'm going through richmond all the way to the 85 split outside of petersburg, i just say f-it and put foot in her and careless about overspeed and ride.. i'll pass a few trucks here and there but then when the speed turn back up to 65 mph, i'm pretty much dead meat, not to mention when the speed limit is 70 like in most parts in carolina i fear for my life at times because trucks just come out of no where blowing me off the road (literally)
Old 05-06-2009, 04:15 AM

The two biggest carriers, one mostly out west, the other mostly in the east, both clogging up the nation's interstate arteries.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
My brother drives for a mail contractor and their speed has been cut to 68. His company had to repay the post office 1.6 million dollars last year because they went over on their allowed amount of fuel for each run. His truck was not governed and that thing would blast down the highway. I tried to run with him a few times my truck doing 82 and I could not keep up with him. He told me a few months ago that even though their speed was cut they got a 50 cent raise after that so he really doesn't care about the speed.
i also run for a contractor. my truck used to run 74 all day long. now.. 65.. maybe 66. but they kind of did it not to save fuel but to keep us from messing runs up. a run that used to pay 4.5 hours is only paying 3.75 because we'd blast threw the run. i see it as ok though.. my truck is a cruiser.. not a bruiser
Old 05-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Senior Board Member

I have heard many drivers say the same thing as the OP. They would or could never drive a truck that didn't do at least 65 or 70 or 80...etc. Then for some reason they end up in a slow truck and realize it is not as bad as they thought.

Instead of spending the day fighting temptation to push it to the limit and worrying where that next speed trap is at they turn down the CB, turn up the radio and then sit back and relax and enjoy the day.

You know who really has the slowest truck. The BBR with the triple digit monster who has to stop at every truck stop and every other rest area.

I have worked for companies that governed their trucks anywhere from 60 to 74 mph. The 2nd lowest amount of money I ever made in a year driving was in that 74 mph truck. The most money I ever made was in a 62 mph truck.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:23 AM

I finally pulled out my hand-held GPS and discovered that my max speed is indeed 60. Swift says we're governed at 62, and that may be true. I get passed even by other Swift trucks on a regular basis.