User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoCorleone99 View Post
All hypotheticals aside, you don't make any less money in a slightly slower truck. You'll occasionally drive fifteen or twenty minutes longer to cover the same miles in a day, assuming that you spend the whole day on level terrain in good weather with light traffic and no stops. So that fifteen or twenty minutes comes out of your 14 and 70. I can recall exactly zero times that my 70 hour clock has expired on the exact minute that I reached my last customer of an eight day period. Nor do I remember any times that I drove exactly eleven hours for five days in a row, winding up at a customer once the 55 hours were done.

Our trucks went from 70mph to 65mph at the start of '08. I heard all of the fanciful projections about how much money I was going to lose. Of course, in real life, my average weekly miles were better in '08 than in '07, but we truck drivers don't tend to get too hung up on reality. Clearly I took a "pay cut."

At most, it's a minor nuisance if there are a bunch of 65mph trucks running together and I have to slow down a little to let them run away from me.

About the only other time that I notice is when a car comes down the ramp and decides against the quarter mile in front of me or the quarter mile behind me. For some reason the side of my truck usually seems like the best merging point. For an apparently related reason, this is also typically the best time for someone hauling ass in the left lane to slow down next to me. When my truck could go 70mph and I drove around 66 or 67mph, I used to be in the habit of gassing it a little to get out of the way. Now I run at or near my governed speed so I don't have that option. I'm not a big fan of slowing dramatically, since we know how that goes... I slow down, the car slows down, I slow more, the car slows more, I try to speed back up but my momentum is gone, we both end up at 35mph before it's all said and done.

Other than that you just get used to managing whatever the truck gives you. If someone wasn't right in front of me five minutes ago and he's in front of me now, then I suppose I'll pass when the left lane looks empty for a stretch. If someone wasn't behind me five minutes ago and he's behind me now, I'll wait until he gets out to my left and then I'll slow down for ten seconds before I resume my cruising speed. Notwithstanding all of our guys who were so distressed when we got turned down, I really don't usually notice it.

Not true I had a friend who drove for Swift his truck was set at 65mph and money was good ...then they cut him back to 62mph and shortly after he was begging for change at truck stops ,lost his house ,car,dog ,And had to put his best girl to work as a lizard at the commere city,CO Pilot .
Old 03-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Board Regular

I have noticed driving a truck governed at 62, previously, that I would have to constantly slow down to get a way from other governed trucks or pull off somewhere and let them get down the road a bit. Passing was just not an option. That was the most frustrating part, not being able to speed up and get away from some idiot.

Arguing on the C.B. is kinda like running in the Special Olympics, 'cause even if you win your still retarted.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:22 PM

61-62 ugg pure torture. we go 70 and its seems like im always getting passed by like im standing still.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Rookie

i drive for roehl like the company, understand why they turned the trucks down. our trucks where at 65 govern. fuel cost for the company is over a million dollars a year. the only problem i have is when we go west and the speed is 75mph for trucks and where doing 61mph there is a danger. 14mph under the speed limit. or the speed is 70mph and were 61mph, 9mph under the speed limit. so keep your eyes open for all the slow trucks, we should be in the right hand lane (granny lane, turtle lane,) what ever you call it passing no one.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Senior Board Member

I think your estimate for Roehls fuel cost is a bit low. $1,000,000 divided by 1700 trucks (from their website) is an average of $588 dollars per truck per year. I guess driving slow does save money. Besides that, You guys pass me all the time.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's View Post
Not true I had a friend who drove for Swift his truck was set at 65mph and money was good ...then they cut him back to 62mph and shortly after he was begging for change at truck stops ,lost his house ,car,dog ,And had to put his best girl to work as a lizard at the commere city,CO Pilot .
He had his finances pretty tight then I guess.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's View Post
Hey, I've heard about that guy. He was the one who told the DOT cops to kiss his butt when they wanted to give him an inspection and they paid him $1,000 for his trouble, right? Too bad about the dog though.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 03-09-2009, 12:02 AM
Senior Board Member

i would hate to lose my dog
Old 03-09-2009, 12:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdrfd View Post
i would hate to lose my dog
Thats what happens when you dont make the payments on stuff. I lease purchased a Cocker Spaniel. 147 more weekly payments and he is gonna be all mine. Still has that wet dog smell.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:00 AM
Rookie

jumbo the roehl trucks that are passing you are o/op's not company drivers. o/op's arent governed.