LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Star transportation about the rip-off e-mails

Monday, December 22, 2008 12:53 PM
To:XXXXXXXX
I’m sure you are aware the drivers who are running the system are waiting 50 to 65 hours (10 hours before appointment time for break then 48+) for the next load assignment. We all realize times are grave but when drivers are charged $3.00 and hour heating fee there could be blowback, I shutter to think how many gallons of diesel fuel, oil, trailer tires, loadlocks, headlights etc, and most of all shipper’s valuable cargo from other Star trailers could be lost. Some disgruntled drivers, in their eye to offset the heat fee, will make all shipper drop lots and Star drop lots a prime location for acquiring barter items sold to some shady owner operators, flee markets and to mom & pop stores etc. Other excellent Star drivers will just move on with a bad taste in their mouth and a story to tell. That is my fear but what do you think? P.S. COULD YOU PLEASE CC TO ALL OTHER VP’S AND THE COMPANY PRESIDENT. A STAR DRIVER
Old 02-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Rookie
Default Ronnie holland's v.p. Safety reply

Dear Star Driver:

I wasn’t involved in the design of the idle time chargeback program. I do understand we are going through some very difficult times and must watch out cost closely. We understand the extra waiting time caused by the slow freight. The fleet managers will be allowed to explain these exceptions before any charge back is issued.

I did forward your e-mail to XXXXXXXX our President and XXXXXXXX our VP of Operations. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns.

Merry Christmas

XXXXXXXX
Old 02-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Rookie
Default Star about the money

THE RIP OFF COMPANY "STAR TRANSPORTATION" FOLLOWING ORDERS FROM THEIR UNSCRUPULOUS POSSESSOR “COVENANT TRANSPORT” PASSED DOWN THIS MANDATE …………. STAR TRANSPORTATION DECEMBER 19, 2008… Effective January 1, 2009, Star Transportation will implement a new policy to reduce idle time. All tractors will have a standard of 30% idle time or less. Any idle time over 30% will be charged back to the driver at 3.00 per hour...XXXXXXXXv.p operations....... What? Is this just a cruel Christmas gag? It can’t be a Christmas bonus that ended years ago when our small dash stick-on calendar was cut out. So my friend that means if you drive 10 hours you now have been awarded 3 hours for heating your truck! Per day you might ask? No that’s 3 hours for the next 2 or 3 days, when you hopefully will get another load on the way for your impressive 1200 mile payday. Fuel at 2.50 a gallon and our trucks using less than a gallon an hour, this seems to be the best money making plot coming out of the “NASHVILLE BRAIN TRUST” in some time. This is the most arrogant RIPOFF I’ve heard in the trucking industry, charging a driver laid over or a driver on his 10 break 3.00 per hour for heat. We all know the parent company of Star is covenant transport “ripping off their employees must be their true covenant” a company with a reputation of a wet turd. It is whispered in warm halls of Nashville the next scheme is renting the driver the steering wheel. Oh yeah I almost forgot: STAR TRANSPORTATION IS NOW HIRING EXPERENCE DRIVERS AND TRAINEES…1-800-333-XXXX ask for bill…..p.s. please bring loads of blankets and your own dash calendar. GOOD LUCK ALL. YOU WILL NEED IT WITH EITHER THESE SCUMBAGS COMPANYS
Old 02-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Rookie
Default Star Transportation A sucks crooks sux ripoffs cheats rip-off

SAFETY FIRST- NO EXCUSES… STAR TRANSPORTATION
APRIL 2008 SAFETY NEWSLETTER

WAKE UP!
“… IT HAS BEEN PROVEN THAT A SLEEP DEPRIVED DRIVER CAN BE AS DANGEROUS AS A DRUNK DRIVER.”
“… PEOPLE WHO DRIVE WHEN THEY ARE TIRED ARE JUST AS IRRESPONSIBLE AND DANGEROUS AS PEOPLE WHO DRIVE DRUNK.”
“THE ONLY SAFE DRIVER IS AN ALERT DRIVER”
“A DROWSY DRIVER SIMPLY DOES NOT THINK AS FAST OR AS ACCURATELY AS AN ALERT DRIVER AND IS LESS ABLE TO REACT QUICKLY ENOUGH TO AVOID A CRASH.”
“EVEN THE SAFEST DRIVERS BECOME CONFUSED AND USE POOR JUDGEMENT WHEN THEY ARE SLEEPY.”
“IN THE VERY SAFETY-SENSITIVE CAREER YOU HAVE SELECTED, ONE BAD DECISION CAN RESULT IN A TRAGEDY.”

SAFETY FIRST- NO EXCUSES… STAR TRANSPORTATION
DECEMBER 2008 SAFETY NEWSLETTER

PROFESSIONAL PLEDGE
“DID YOU REALIZE THAT YOU TOOK A SILENT PLEDGE WHEN YOU FIRST RECEIVED YOUR COMMERICIAL DRIVERS LICENSE? A PROFESSIONAL IN EVERY TRADE IS WORTHY AND HELD TO HIGHER STANDARDS. AS LONG AS YOU MAINTAIN A CDL YOU WILL BE HELD TO A HIGHER STANDARD THAN THE PEOPLE YOU SHARE THE ROAD WITH. THESE HIGHER STANDARDS INCLUDE THE FEDERAL MOTOR CARRIER SAFETY REGULATIONS, DEFENCIVE DRIVING SKILLS PLUS THE KNOWLEDGE YOU’VE GAINED THROUGH EXPERIENCE. NOT ONLY DO YOU HAVE TO PROTECT YOURSELF, YOU MUST ALSO PROTECT THOSE PEOPLE THAT CANNOT PROTECT THEMSELVES; THE PASSENGERS OFTEN INFAINTS AND CHILDREN WHO HAVE NO CONTROL IN THE SITUATION”.
THE ABOVE EXCERPTS WERE TAKEN FROM STAR TRANSPORTATION’S MONTHLY SAFETY LETTER “SAFETY NEWS”

CAN A DRIVER TAKING A MANDATED 10 HOUR SLEEP BREAK WITHOUT HEAT WITH THE TEMPERATURE AT 15 DEGREES BE READY TO LIVE UP TO THE STAR STANDARDS LISTED ABOVE?

IS THAT “SAFETY FIRST”?
The 911 terrorist held at the Guantanamo Bay prison camp, or murders on death row can’t be held in prison under the conditions you are subjecting to your drivers. Can a human encase in a sleeping bag rating to 25 below zero and 3 quilts his wife gave him live up to those standards? That is how one of my x-trainees told me that’s how he is getting by, he said that night he slept with the truck shut off and it was 10 degrees that night. Is that SAFETY FIRST? Is that an example of a SAFETY FIRST Star driver that anyone would be ok with their family sharing the road with? AT 30% A DRIVER WOULD HAVE TO DRIVE 30 HOURS FOR 10 HOURS OF HEAT. IS THAT SAFETY FIRST? When you follow company policy and arrive at the consignee Sunday night at 2200 for the 0800 Monday delivery appointment, and then maybe layover 2 days you could easily have almost 60 hours of wait time. We all understand freight is slow, that means employees paid by the mile feel the affect first. Is the idle chargeback policy going to produce a driver that Star Transportation can say would be safe, alert, or protect other who cannot protect themselves, or live up to all of the standards the Star I was proud to work for once stood?
The sad fact is this policy will sooner or later be paid for in blood, if not the blood of the hapless driver, it will be paid with the life a child. Is this Safety first?

Ronnie the text on the bottom is the message I wrote to Lance on the Qualcomm Thursday last. Then Friday I cleaned out my truck and left Star without a job. My question to “Safety and Management” is what the value of a human life? The following is the true story of one night in my life I can never forget. A couple of decades ago I was taking a load of glass to New Jersey. In Baltimore Maryland I noticed a car having a hard time holding his lane. The driver swerved onto an exit ramp then he came back across the roadway crossing 2 lanes of traffic. I heard a loud bang then saw the shower of sparks. After stopping I ran back to my trailer and I saw a crushed car, with someone trying to escape out the passenger door. I grabbed the door and pulled, and somehow together we got it open. An uninjured passenger quickly jumped out, and screamed something I can still remember like it was yesterday. “LUIS… LUIS FELL ASLEEP” he said. Looking in on the driver I saw the trailer tires had the back of the driver seat flattened into the back seat. The Budd wheels and tires had made hamburger meat out of him; you could smell the odd odor of blood as it was everywhere. Soon Luis awakened; in the next 45 minutes waiting for help to arrive he never uttered a single word. Instead he shrieked the screams of pain and fear when you thing you are dying. Unlike a John Wayne WW2 movie scene, the sounds of a person dying a violent death sure isn’t, “tell mom I love her” then eyes close. I stood there helplessly; just a person who was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but strangely that didn’t make me any feel better. I found out later he was on a trip back to Massachusetts from visiting a girl in Myrtle Beach SC. Driving In his pride and joy a 1977 Trans Am, Luis died that dark night under my trailer a long way from home. How do I know so much about Luis? Month’s later right before Christmas, my wife said “there’s a guy on the phone for you and he has a funny accent”. On the phone was Luis’s father. The reason Luis’s father called was to ask if Luis had said anything before he died. His grieving parents I guess hoping to hear some last words of love from a dying son. He said Luis was 19 years old and was an only child, born to this older couple after being told they couldn’t have children. With tears running down my face I lied to the man, saying that he was unconscious and didn’t say anything. There was no way I could have told the father the truth. I had a hard time getting those memories, the smells, and sounds out of my head. I played the accident over and over in my head like a movie; think what I could have done to maybe avoid this sad loss. I had no fault in this accident, but I quickly thought “what if” it was me who fell asleep at the wheel, and Luis’s life had ended by my mistake. I made a promise to myself that I would do all I could not be caught up in a situation like this again. I’m proud to say I left Star with a 31 year career of non-preventable accident safety record, with almost 9 at Star. I fear the next horrible tragedy is in Star’s future, and this time it will be the 19 year old boy who makes the mistake of being in the wrong place at the wrong time...

SAFETY FIRST-NO EXCUSES. WHAT VALVE DOES STAR PUT ON A LIFE?

1-22-09 16:25
Message #60

Hey Lance:
Last night when I took my 10 hour break I had racked up less than 2 hours idle time for heat. I don’t feel like a person can be safe and rested trying to follow this new company policy. As you know by law, you must sleep at least 8 hours with 2 more hours off duty or sleeper each break. How can a driver be safe and alert trying to sleep when the temperature is 15 degrees outside? It would take 27 hours of drive time to just cover the 8 hours of heat/AC on each 10 hour break. I am proud of my 31 years of safe driving, achieving almost 9 years here with Star. I don’t feel like I can honestly say I can be a safe and alert driver trying to operate under the strains of this new company policy. I feel like it’s my duty to resign my position rather than risk the health and welfare to myself and the motoring public in general. How much notice do you need. Thanks XXXXX XXXXXXXXX
Old 02-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Rookie
Default Star all star safety V.P. reply

The answer to your question is “Priceless”.

I wish there was something I could say to remove the horrible tragedy from your memory.

I thank you for your years of service with Star and congratulate you for your safety achievements. Sharing your knowledge and experience with students getting started in this demanding industry was much appreciated.

Our commitment to the safety of our drivers and the motoring public has not diminished. We appreciate all the sacrifices our employees have taken to help Star survive these very difficult challenges facing our industry, economy, country and world. The Idle Charge back policy was implemented to address the employees that still do not care about our future...

I’m disappointed you elected to resign but respect your decision. I wish you all the best.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXX
Old 02-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Rookie
Default Star my reply to safety

The letter from XXXXXXXX V.P. placed in our paychecks right before Christmas states: “All tractors without a Tripac unit will have a standard of 30% idle or less. Any idle time over 30% WILL BE charged back to the driver at $3.00 per hour. Fleet managers will review and submit to payroll for deductions.” The letter goes on to say: “We cannot … tolerate excessive idling” which is anything above 30%. This letter seems to be pretty straight forward and the Qcomm message of 12/18/08 said the same thing. Your statement of “The fleet manager has the responsibility and authority to review each driver on their fleet and write off any charge backs that are related to down time, extreme temperatures or other uncontrollable circumstances”. I haven’t read or heard this message anywhere, how was it conveyed to the drivers. One last thing, do you think a driver sleeping in a truck with the temperature well below freezing be safe and alert the next day? I fear the next horrible tragedy is in Star’s future, and it will be a 19 year old boy who makes the mistake of being in the wrong place at the wrong time... X-STAR DRIVER
Old 02-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

The best reply I have heard would be to ask him if the office staff has to pay to heat the building!
Old 02-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Rookie

We will continue to work hard to prevent such a tragedy and improve our communication efforts.

Thanks,
XXXXXXXX
Old 02-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Board Regular

is somebody disgruntled???
Old 02-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Board Regular

Wow, I wouldnt pay 3 bucks an hour to stay warm either especially with the long wait times for whatever reason..... Try leaving a pet in a hot car overnight in the summer or a cold truck in the winter and see where it lands you. Every driver in Nashville tonight should preload with eggs and cabbage for dinner then roll out your sleeping bags in the front lobby and tell the receptionist to hold it down so you all can be alert and well rested.