User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

What do the loads pay like at penn tank lines? I also talked to BRT about hauling fuel for them...16.50 on night shift 3pm to 3am....4 days on 2 days off...and a month spent with a trainer. The hourly rate was a little low so I passed on that deal. Oh and all of their trucks are automatics if they didn't tell you that.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:08 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Now...a little secret to getting hired by a "major". You find out which carrier is doing their overflow work...hire on there...whatever the pay is...then introduce yourself to the "major"'s truck boss. Do a good job...stay in the "face" without being intrucive, then when they have an opening, you have the job.

You pay your dues at a "major" by working at their overflow carrier.
Thank ya Dad!

Fuel Hauling 101 for Mackdog and Bandit:

1. Take the lower paying gig like Dad said. If you are dependable and get the job done, it WILL be noticed by the right people at the "major" companies.

2. Get your rookie time in at a smaller company. Concentrate on learning blends, spill avoidance and NO CROSS DROPPING! If fuel hauling is your thing, the right opportunities will be there.

3. What is hard to realize for drivers coming off of the road in to the fuel hauling industry, is that fuel hauling is mostly a pretty tight group of folks. There aren't that many of us, we all know and help each other. We're all running nicer equipment and running legal.

4. If you are a screw up, you will weed yourself out rather quickly. Fuel hauling is an easy and well paying job, but it also requires attention to detail and focus.

5. Get out there and take one of those jobs Mackman or I'll jump aboard OTX's truck on his next PA trip and we'll straighten you out! No need or excuse to be sitting around waiting for the "big boys" to call you. They'll be much happier to have you after you are experienced and have been carded at all of the racks.

6. And that's the way it is, Wednesday January 14, 2009 as I see it. (as you should too!:bow:)

Last edited by belpre122; 01-14-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:06 PM

Sounds like good advice...I will consider that in spring when I might be ready for a new job. They did say they have all the overtime that one can handle. It would be nice to be on a set schedule too...I'm pulling food grade tanks right now and the hours are crazy. I like it and make decent money, but you never know when you're working, where you're going or if you're working local that day.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandits44x View Post
Sounds like good advice...I will consider that in spring when I might be ready for a new job. They did say they have all the overtime that one can handle. It would be nice to be on a set schedule too...I'm pulling food grade tanks right now and the hours are crazy. I like it and make decent money, but you never know when you're working, where you're going or if you're working local that day.
Who you work for now. HR EWELL, PE Kramme??

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 01-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Board Regular

i got carded not too long ago...i think she did it to get a bigger tip though. it made me feel good but it worked for her also!!!
Old 01-17-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
Who you work for now. HR EWELL, PE Kramme??
I'm workin for HR Ewell. They treat me well...i'm in no hurry to leave...but i will if the right opportunity arrises.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Does anyone know anything about M&M Restaurant Supply. I know they are a division of Keystone Foods. All i know is the work is all local and they pay by the hour. They mostly deliver to McDonald's in the PA, NJ and DE area.

Mackman - M+M does not pay by the hour. You get paid a percentage. Not all the drivers are home every night. There are some that lay-over. The pay goes depending on where you are sent, how many cases are on truck, and how many stops you have. I deliver to them all the time in Aston PA / Chester Township (whichever you want to consider it). I talked to the senior driver and he showed me how the pay works. Higher pay runs go to the senior drivers. Also did you know they will be moving out of Aston soon? They are building a new warehouse in the Coatsville area....should be open by May. You might be getting a call from them very soon. Senior driver told me that most of the drivers will not be going with them. Then again with the economy being what it is.....they just might be changing their minds.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxfe_phantoms View Post
Mackman - M+M does not pay by the hour. You get paid a percentage. Not all the drivers are home every night. There are some that lay-over. The pay goes depending on where you are sent, how many cases are on truck, and how many stops you have. I deliver to them all the time in Aston PA / Chester Township (whichever you want to consider it). I talked to the senior driver and he showed me how the pay works. Higher pay runs go to the senior drivers. Also did you know they will be moving out of Aston soon? They are building a new warehouse in the Coatsville area....should be open by May. You might be getting a call from them very soon. Senior driver told me that most of the drivers will not be going with them. Then again with the economy being what it is.....they just might be changing their minds.

Thanks for the info. I was talking to one of their drivers the other day. He told me they were moving to coatsville. That sucks for me i live 5min from aston. Now it will be 45min to coatsville. He also told me they got paid by the hour. SOmeone is telling some BS. They haven't called me yet. But when they do i guess i will get the facts then.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 01-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I was talking to one of their drivers the other day. He told me they were moving to coatsville. That sucks for me i live 5min from aston. Now it will be 45min to coatsville. He also told me they got paid by the hour. SOmeone is telling some BS. They haven't called me yet. But when they do i guess i will get the facts then.
Yeah no problem. I have seen the pay sheets. They set a flat rate for how many cases you have on the truck. Either way the pay looked good. Just don't know about carrying 1000 cases of ketchup LOL
Old 01-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Rookie

I worked for M&M Restaurant Supply out of Springfield, OH in 2003. I was paid by the hour at which time was $19 hour, but you are given a set amount of time to finish the route and paid for that time so if you finish early you make more per hour. I usually worked 55 hours a week and made over $1100 per week. Back then health insurance was at no cost to the driver. They are very strict on apointment times and use the xata key to keep track of your speed and times of delivery. When you start off you get the ghetto routes which means slow workers that back you up. Sometimes I had to go into the store and help them unload off the rollers cause the cases were back up into the truck and they took their sweet old time. You have about 5 stops a trip, you usually don't have two days off in a row, they often call you on your days off, and your start times vary especially after your day off (ie morning start, morning start, day off, evening start, etc).