User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Nowadays companies do odd things because they can be highly leveraged....

If the company does not have a long term vision they will do rash things as their creditors/economy

pressure them....this is the deal in a lot of cases of strange corporate behavior.

Money makes the decision for them...not they themselves

Its a shell game...

I always liked those nice looking Petes though
Old 12-31-2008, 01:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalregion View Post
Alcoa by chance?? 8>)
Nope...Mountain Country Foods to Delmonte in Bloomsburg, PA
Old 12-31-2008, 02:06 AM
Rookie

i've had some employers put some mis-informed info on my DAC and they know its wrong but theres nothing you can do! i have put rebutals on there and the recruiters can see that.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:37 AM
Board Regular

Dollarshort,
can you elaborate on what you've seen or experienced on what is going on with knight? The decision making or lack there of? I have been thinking of possibly going back OTR next year and left Knight (in SLC)on great terms. I was just wondering if I should be researching other companies instead.

Thx Buddy
Old 12-31-2008, 12:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythe08 View Post
Dollarshort,
can you elaborate on what you've seen or experienced on what is going on with knight? The decision making or lack there of? I have been thinking of possibly going back OTR next year and left Knight (in SLC)on great terms. I was just wondering if I should be researching other companies instead.

Thx Buddy
Knight is still a good place to work, but recently they have taken away our stock options and that sucks. The overthinkers are working overtime. They are cutting back the fleet at every terminal, which is good because that means more freight per truck.

Instead of keeping idle time below 20% they dropped it to 10% which doesn't bother me because I only have about 3% idle time.

I used to be able to fuel where ever I wanted to, but now they route you and tell you where to fuel.

They cut layover pay from $96.00 to $48.00.

I was in SLC last week and there was alot of changes there. Aaron Knight left, Matt in the shop was fired, and dispatch seemed a bit disorganized.

All in all though, I am staying put because I don't see it being better anywhere else right now, and I am still making decent money. I made $58,000 in 2007 and $55,000 this year. and was home most weekends.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarshort View Post

Instead of keeping idle time below 20% they dropped it to 10% which doesn't bother me because I only have about 3% idle time.

3% idle time repesents about the time it takes to properly air up the tanks after doing the 3 part break test during your daily pre-trip ...So what about cab comfort during atleast the 8hr sleeper portion of your break in the summer/winter ...20% does not cover the break let alone 10% ...And I bet Knight still has yet to put APU on the trucks ...A note to rookies ...off a 3000k mi wk you would have 60hrs moving run time at 50mph average and the 10% is 10% of total run time so you have less than 10 available idle hours for the week ...Now think about sitting in your car in the summer/winter with no heat/AC ,and being comfortable ,well now immagine 48hr layovers stuck in truck without heat/ac ...

I spoke to a Knight dedicated driver on the cummins account ,and when he said 10% idle I immediately lost interest in Knight ,as I know how uncomfortable a cab is in 90 degee weather without a/c .
Old 01-01-2009, 04:17 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarshort View Post
Knight is still a good place to work, but recently they have taken away our stock options and that sucks. The overthinkers are working overtime. They are cutting back the fleet at every terminal, which is good because that means more freight per truck.

I used to be able to fuel where ever I wanted to, but now they route you and tell you where to fuel.

They cut layover pay from $96.00 to $48.00.

I was in SLC last week and there was alot of changes there. Aaron Knight left, Matt in the shop was fired, and dispatch seemed a bit disorganized.

All in all though, I am staying put because I don't see it being better anywhere else right now, and I am still making decent money. I made $58,000 in 2007 and $55,000 this year. and was home most weekends.
WOW I am out of the loop. Last time I was there in April of 07, Aaron had left to go do Real estate and Tyler was Terminal Manager and they had just gotten Matt back from Pheonix after begging him for months to come back. Sucks about the pay going down but I was never laid over once in the 2 years I was there. Just got lucky I guess. I'm very surprised they have not gone with APUs yet. I know they had those little heaters under the bunks that would damn near catch the truck on fire. I had one of the little metal fans you plug in to the lighter socket and that little thing was awesome at keeping me cool during the summer. Just crack the windows and turn that thing on high and I would go right to sleep.

Sorry you made less this year than last, but it still sounds like you did ok. I only cleared 50k by a nose hair, but then again I missed about 5k with so many runs being cancelled do to there being low trash(my comany hauls trash from transfer stations to a landfill outside the city)

Happy new year to you Bud and be safe safe.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:26 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

edit....

Last edited by belpre122; 01-01-2009 at 06:49 AM.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythe08 View Post
WOW I am out of the loop. Last time I was there in April of 07, Aaron had left to go do Real estate and Tyler was Terminal Manager and they had just gotten Matt back from Pheonix after begging him for months to come back. Sucks about the pay going down but I was never laid over once in the 2 years I was there. Just got lucky I guess. I'm very surprised they have not gone with APUs yet. I know they had those little heaters under the bunks that would damn near catch the truck on fire. I had one of the little metal fans you plug in to the lighter socket and that little thing was awesome at keeping me cool during the summer. Just crack the windows and turn that thing on high and I would go right to sleep.

Sorry you made less this year than last, but it still sounds like you did ok. I only cleared 50k by a nose hair, but then again I missed about 5k with so many runs being cancelled do to there being low trash(my comany hauls trash from transfer stations to a landfill outside the city)

Happy new year to you Bud and be safe safe.

Only people I know that are comfortable in cab in 90 degree temps with a 12v plug in fan are dispatchers,recruiters and the fuel department . Heck I remember running 3 of those fans parked in the daytime sun and it was only 85 outside, And with both bunk vents and cab windows wide open it was still 94 on my incab thermometer ...So for most cab comfort in the hot summer requiers more than a fan that
only blows hot air around the cab ...my point is a 10% idle rule and no apu is something a potential driver needs to know about , and clearly understand that 10% idle of run time is less than 10hrs on 3k mi wk ,and layovers do happen at Knight and so do 1200-1500 mi wks ,which involve a ton of sitting in that hot cab.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:25 AM
Board Regular

Big Jeep,
I agree 100%. I honestly can't remember my orientation at knight, but I know right up front they said they would never have APU's as they don't keep the trucks long enough. But I'm sure they never mentioned idle time. I thought I heard from someone that they got bitchy at 20% and above but wouldn't say anything unless it was really bad.

I was very lucky when I was with Knight,,,very, very lucky! The last half of my tenure with them was a dedicated account running from SLC to LA twice a week and when I was OTR, I never refused run unless they were runs that another dropped and were now late as from past experience I was hit with the service failure even though I was dispatched on it after it was due.

I have never been bothered by heat. Spent 10 years working and playing outside all the time in tucson. As long as I have a breeze on me I'm ok. Lucky there to I guess. I know some driver that rarely shut off their trucks and I have no problem with thatas long they are doing it for comfort and not laziness. I had a friend that would sweat like a hog in any weather over 75 degrees regarless of what he was doing unless he had fresh air blowing on him,,,weirdess damn thing thing.