User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2008, 05:03 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Is Swift on a hiring freeze???

I'll basically have that "six months of driving with another company" requirement met by the 18th of this month.
When I was terminated from them back in October of '07, they told me I would be able to come back after a year since the accident lapsed and that I got in 6 months of driving with another company.

Aside from the accident I had with them in my 13 months there, I have had no violations or tickets of any, conceivable type.

However, I was called by a recruiter I had spoken to earlier and she told me to check back near the end of December/After the beginning of the year to see if they've been authorized to do rehires.

Only reasons I want to get out of the current company I'm with is due to the fact that they utilize 1099's;
-the trucks don't have Qualcomm;
-if we have a breakdown on the road, we have to pay out of pocket, then receive reimbursement 2 weeks later;
-if we're not driving local and we're out of hours, I have to tell the dispatcher to shove it for the next ten, depending on who it is;
-And I'm the only non-Spanish speaker in the entire yard. Alot of people said Swift had alot of that, but when I was with them, that was hardly the truth.

So, aside from that, has anyone else heard of such a thing?
Old 12-03-2008, 05:35 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
only reasons i want to get out of the current company i'm with is due to the fact that they utilize 1099's;

-the trucks don't have qualcomm;

"this can be a good thing."

-if we have a breakdown on the road, we have to pay out of pocket, then receive reimbursement 2 weeks later;

"that is unacceptable. It is their truck, they are responsible for paying the repair bill."

-if we're not driving local and we're out of hours, i have to tell the dispatcher to shove it for the next ten, depending on who it is;

"you should do this no matter who the dispatcher is. Run legal as much as possible."

-and i'm the only non-spanish speaker in the entire yard. Alot of people said swift had alot of that, but when i was with them, that was hardly the truth

yes, swift is generally thought of as a cdl mill. You will probably encounter the same problems with swift.

GO PACK
Old 12-03-2008, 05:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I'll basically have that "six months of driving with another company" requirement met by the 18th of this month.
When I was terminated from them back in October of '07, they told me I would be able to come back after a year since the accident lapsed and that I got in 6 months of driving with another company.

Aside from the accident I had with them in my 13 months there, I have had no violations or tickets of any, conceivable type.

However, I was called by a recruiter I had spoken to earlier and she told me to check back near the end of December/After the beginning of the year to see if they've been authorized to do rehires.

Only reasons I want to get out of the current company I'm with is due to the fact that they utilize 1099's;
-the trucks don't have Qualcomm;
-if we're not driving local and we're out of hours, I have to tell the dispatcher to shove it for the next ten, depending on who it is;
-And I'm the only non-Spanish speaker in the entire yard. Alot of people said Swift had alot of that, but when I was with them, that was hardly the truth.

I drove for swift about 2.5 years ago and there are some things that have changed but this i can tell you

They do have qualcomm but if you wanna know, keep your logs in order and I've never had a problem

They DO have onroad repair service so you eather pay comcheck or they might even have an account with the place. I will tell you, thier onroad can be a PITA to deal with, long wait and sometimes the person that you talk to is upset you burdened him/her with your call but they will pay for the service.

As long as you have a good reason for not being there ( a traffic accedent, unusualy heavy traffic(Not you normal rush hour), detours due to construction, etc) they are usualy understanding if you run out of hours.

you'll run into many out in loredo, el paso, ccali but since I see you worked for swift you probably already know this.

One other thing I found out recently is they don't hire in some areas now, suposedly they don't hire east of i-95 in NC. Seems to be a dead zone for many companies, lucky for me thats exactly where i live, yayyyy.

BOL
Old 12-03-2008, 06:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingson View Post
yes, swift is generally thought of as a cdl mill. You will probably encounter the same problems with swift.
I was with Swift for 13 months prior to the small-carrier I'm with now.

I'm saying Swift is better than the outfit I'm using to regain experience.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Senior Board Member

bump.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Senior Board Member

maybe, maybe not. it's nice seeing a lesser amount of students in phoenix. perhaps they've become more picky about who's taken in. for re-hiring, not too sure about that one.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Well, driving for anyone that utilizes Qualcomm and doesn't have a joke of a safety department is what I would really like right now.

I'll admit it I didn't enjoy Swift for the first six months, but afterwards, I intended on staying there for at least two years before I got into that accident.

As far as doing something completely different goes, college is something I'd rather save up money for and do a little later.

Right now, I'm remaining focused on this.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:12 PM

Why in the world if you have already worked for swift and they terminated you and have ove 1 year experince would even consider hiring on with them again.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Personal choice.

If not right now, I'll wait until some time passes and see if the economy begins to pick up speed.

Basically, any company that has Qualcomm and W-2's will work for me.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:58 AM
Board Regular

Swift is downsizing it's company fleet and will continue to do so in 2009. Swift is pushing to be 35% or more Owner Operator fleet, while still reducing the company fleet.

They are not doing re-hires because they do not need more drivers, any current drivers that leave they are balancing it out with new trainees to replace them.