LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dle View Post
I've only been with Swift since june.

From what I've been told, the hiring freeze only applies to certain terminals. They are pushing the L/O, but I also am not wanting to do this. From the Q/C meessages i've seen they are having trouble finding trucks for drivers (BTW i've heard from some friends that WERNER is also having this problem).

My dispatchers (only 2) have tried their best to walk the fine line of being helpful to the driver and still do what the company wants them to do. So far I have had no complaints about my regular dispatch --- nights and weekends are a different story though -- i've wanted to kill a couple of them.

Hire or re-hire you will have to pass the fitness test.

I've only had to call on-road twice so far (trailer issues) on hold less that 15 minutes for each ( as compared to the 3 hours for werner). Most of the maintenance items i've had with the truck have been minor enough that I could wait till i got back to the home terminal to get it done (home time).

oh man, the day, night, and weekend shifts are all in another dimension. compared to the regular weekday shift, you can get away with a LOT more with the people on overnight and weekends. when it comes to fueling, you'll have to give a reason WHY you need fuel during the weekdays. the night shift and weekend people don't seem to care that much. within minutes of sending out a request for fuel, i get a message back saying that i'm open for 300 gallons.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:19 PM
Senior Board Member

The D/M I had out of the Fontana terminal was an alright guy.

If we needed fuel, we got the fuel, if tolls were needed someplace, then the money was provided.

After those 13 months there, I felt like I was right at home.

Anywho, I recently applied to Roehl, Stevens Transport, GTI, and Knight.
All of them slammed the door in my face due to that sleep-deprivation accident.

I never said that's what it was out loud, but I guess they have their own ways of finding out things.

This basically means I'll have to go through with expensive, college training for a different career path.

Then once enough time passes, hopefully I'll be able to say, "To Hell with college, I'm jumping back into the seat!!"

Yeah, saying "No To College" could be bad, but I'll repeat that I was one of those guys that hated school with a passion.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:01 PM
Senior Board Member

i do plan on going back to school at some point in my life. just 8 units away from my AA degree. i may end up changing it frmo computer science to atmospheric science, or something completely different like human resources, or something other that'll put my ass in some cubicle somewhere.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Senior Board Member

8 units away?!?

Well, if you're that close, then go for it.

As for myself, I was never that good at any particular subject aside from all the auto/hands-on classes.

It always de-evolved into a shouting match/getting kicked out of class for me.

However, I did excel in a few, below-transfer level math classes due to having teachers that actually took the time to go through every detail in the book.

I tried taking a "College Algebra" course last year after the accident, and the teacher only seemed to care about the "speedy-brained" 16-19 year old kids.

I hopped to 3 other classes and this was the same case.

This is part of the reason I'd like to get out of California and to someplace where I'm not going to be surrounded by genius-children, among other things.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:14 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I'll basically have that "six months of driving with another company" requirement met by the 18th of this month.
When I was terminated from them back in October of '07, they told me I would be able to come back after a year since the accident lapsed and that I got in 6 months of driving with another company.

Aside from the accident I had with them in my 13 months there, I have had no violations or tickets of any, conceivable type.

However, I was called by a recruiter I had spoken to earlier and she told me to check back near the end of December/After the beginning of the year to see if they've been authorized to do rehires.

Only reasons I want to get out of the current company I'm with is due to the fact that they utilize 1099's;
-the trucks don't have Qualcomm;
-if we have a breakdown on the road, we have to pay out of pocket, then receive reimbursement 2 weeks later;
-if we're not driving local and we're out of hours, I have to tell the dispatcher to shove it for the next ten, depending on who it is;
-And I'm the only non-Spanish speaker in the entire yard. Alot of people said Swift had alot of that, but when I was with them, that was hardly the truth.

So, aside from that, has anyone else heard of such a thing?
wow what if you blow an engine or clutch, you gotta come up with 5-20 gs outta pocket, or even a flat tire 3 4 hundred outta pocket that would suck, i actually see many very professional swift drivers contrary to many peoples opinion, they make other mega companies look like complete idiots as soon as they spot a swift or MS trailer the truck that goes 66 will barrel into the left lane almost causing 50 car pile ups then take 20 minutes to pass same with jb hunt mr fast billyrigger must pass the only thing he can with no regards to the family of 6 he just pulled out in front of with literally 6 inches room, i actually wouldnt mind drivin for slow azz swift, just foot on the floor watchin the other crazy morons almost kill to get around me, and your bosses cant bitxh about your timing, no drivin 75 tryin to get to a place 10 miles away with 8 minutes till they close, plus i see a lot more swifts than other mega carriers they seem like theyll keep ya busy
Old 12-11-2008, 06:19 AM
Board Regular

Why would you even consider Swift????...I would run run as far as i could.There should be better options with maybe smaller companies that can really take care of their drivers.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00m View Post
Why would you even consider Swift????...I would run run as far as i could.There should be better options with maybe smaller companies that can really take care of their drivers.
I'm sorry you might've had a bad time there, but I enjoyed my time there and that's the next place I want to see myself back again.

As far as these smaller companies go, I'd also rather not know who's sleeping with whom.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Senior Board Member

it's the math courses that are holding me back. i have never been good at math. never made it through pre-algebra during high school because i cannot, for the life of me, understand it. tutors have lost their patience with me. they think i'm screwing around when i really don't understand the sequences, symbols, and what-have-you. i can see the junk, but i cannot read it. it's absolutely frustrating.

here's an article about dyscalculia. well, it's interesting enough to me, anyway.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrosonix View Post
it's the math courses that are holding me back. i have never been good at math. never made it through pre-algebra during high school because i cannot, for the life of me, understand it. tutors have lost their patience with me. they think i'm screwing around when i really don't understand the sequences, symbols, and what-have-you. i can see the junk, but i cannot read it. it's absolutely frustrating.

here's an article about dyscalculia. well, it's interesting enough to me, anyway.
Well, if I'm going for, say a BS in Accounting, then I'm safe due to there being only the requirement of Math 105-College Algebra.
It took me 2 years, but I finally got Intermediate Algebra(High School equivalent would be Algebra I) back in '06.
However, right after I got that class done, I went into truck-driving and never thought I'd have to see that again.
So, here I am at Pt. A.
I could try to get the 105 done right now, but heavy tutoring and teacher-student time would be needed.
After I pass that, then all I have to concentrate on would be the business and English courses.

Now, if I were to go for an Engineering degree, then that would take 6-8 years of failing/repeating courses.
Mainly the Calc, Trig, and Linear-Algebra courses in addition to the project-laden, science courses.

Another reason I'm beginning to think engineering is good for me to stay away from is because you have to be uber-creative, and project-oriented.

I'm more of "shoot-from-the-hip" and see what happens next.

But, to the original topic, let's wait and see what happens in January.
Hopefully, all this moaning will be for nothing and I actually do get rehired!!!
Old 01-08-2009, 12:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Well, talked to my old driver-manager at the Fontucky terminal and he said nothing will be happening, application-wise, until February if they're fortunate.