User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
As far as the nursing-career goes, I'll go along with the E.R. thing, maybe even look towards an armed-forces commission.
The pay on the other hand, it seems to stay above $2,000/month everywhere I look.

Here is a military payscale, and its a whole lot better than when I left the Army in 79'....

http://www.defenselink.mil/militaryp...9%20capped.pdf

Also, keep in mind the scale only shows "base pay", and does not include cost of living for an area, housing allowances, basic rations allowance, and specialty pays.

Frankly....if I had it to do over again, I would have stayed in until I got 30 years in or they forced me out.....

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Here is a military payscale, and its a whole lot better than when I left the Army in 79'....

http://www.defenselink.mil/militaryp...9%20capped.pdf

Also, keep in mind the scale only shows "base pay", and does not include cost of living for an area, housing allowances, basic rations allowance, and specialty pays.

Frankly....if I had it to do over again, I would have stayed in until I got 30 years in or they forced me out.....
YUP...
that's what they'll have to do with me ,kick me out of ANG when i'm too old.Right now i'm 25,6 years already in the military(3.5 active duty) and the rest national guard.Best way to serve,have a break from trucking and wife once i a while.Really,don't feel sorry when i pay my taxes.They go in like shooting for free an m16,our future trip to england and florida this year and posibily next year a trip to afganistan , and shooting up more.LOVE IT!!!
Old 01-10-2009, 03:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00m View Post
YUP...
that's what they'll have to do with me ,kick me out of ANG when i'm too old.Right now i'm 25,6 years already in the military(3.5 active duty) and the rest national guard.Best way to serve,have a break from trucking and wife once i a while.Really,don't feel sorry when i pay my taxes.They go in like shooting for free an m16,our future trip to england and florida this year and posibily next year a trip to afganistan , and shooting up more.LOVE IT!!!
I talked to a USCG recruiter in regards to the Reserve component.
I was interested in working the Port-Security detail while going to school for the RN.

Figure if the pShrinks keep screwing me with the municipal departments, it'll better benefit me to do that as required, and do the nursing thing as the sustenance creator.

As I said, it's not about getting rich or wealthy, I just want to make enough that I know I could live off of.

A small cottage, two guns and a nice mountain-bike are all I need.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Worst mistake I ever made was not staying in the Army till retirement which, at 44, I would be enjoying right now.

I started driving for Swift and spent 3 years with them. I didnt think they were that bad once you learned the system and how to play the game. I made a bundle on the Stock-purchase program. Enough to put a good downpayment on a house.

Roehl has a drop yard/terminal in Fontana, CA. It has a small shower and thats about it but the terminal manager was a good guy. The place is pretty quiet and a good place to sleep.

JB is pushing L/P pretty hard. I just got a message on my qualcom offering it to the first 30 drivers who called in. If you look at their annual report and dig through it you will see that the number of company trucks is going down and the lease/purchase is going up as well as the dedicated/ intermodel. They are slowly switching the fleet from OTR to those.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Senior Board Member

JB Hunt has stopped giving out 2 free tshirts and a hat at the end of orientation as well as providing 3 free meals a day. Now they provide dinner only. Not a good sign but i'm not sure what it really means as the free stuff is not a big deal. I did hear that JB's widow is selling her company stock and is getting out of the day to day operation of the company but she is getting on and her husband isn't around anymore so she may just want to retire somewhere.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post

Roehl has a drop yard/terminal in Fontana, CA. It has a small shower and thats about it but the terminal manager was a good guy. The place is pretty quiet and a good place to sleep.

JB is pushing L/P pretty hard. I just got a message on my qualcom offering it to the first 30 drivers who called in. If you look at their annual report and dig through it you will see that the number of company trucks is going down and the lease/purchase is going up as well as the dedicated/ intermodel. They are slowly switching the fleet from OTR to those.
I tried Roehl and they told me I needed three years of driving, not even some other employment, but just driving to get with them.

As far as purchasing a truck, my boss was actually trying to get me to buy his truck.
But, like someone else on this board had explained, "I too don't feel like owning my job."
Old 01-12-2009, 02:20 AM
Rookie

i filled out an app on their website, waited a couple of days, then i called and was told that they had no openings for experienced drivers!!
Old 01-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acip View Post
i filled out an app on their website, waited a couple of days, then i called and was told that they had no openings for experienced drivers!!
If anything, you should probably ask about which terminals are hot, and which are not.

As far as experienced drivers go, I'm maintaining contact with my D/M from Swift and he told me that orientations have been suspended at the Fontana terminal for both in-experienced and experienced.

Best he told me was to check back in another two weeks or, next month.

Until then, I'm going to also try and get back into some local security companies and put some type of work in.