User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008, 02:50 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Encore career (My time with Swift)

Background:

I was a state auditor/accountant for over 11 years and at the end of May of this year, I left civil service. It was not the same environment as when I started. My youngest graduated high school this year…I have no “little ones” at home… so I decided to get my CDL and fulfill an ambition I have had for a very long time.

From all the advice, insight, and knowledge I have gotten from CAD, I thought that I might contribute to any of those that are interested in knowing a bit more about my experience with Swift Driving Academy, orientation, and the mentoring/training program.

Here goes…

The recruiter portion of the experience was lacking, as not unusual. I am just thankful I took the initiative to research and read…. Thank you CAD

I attended Swift Driving Academy in San Antonio, Texas. It took a 34 hour bus ride to get there (Swift pays for the bus ticket). It was pretty much what you would expect a long bus ride to be like. The first day at the academy was spent getting physicals, having a Workwell physical assessment, and filing out paperwork. I want to give a bit more information about the Workwell physical assessment because I really couldn’t find a lot of detail about it. The purpose of the assessment is for an employer to evaluate your physical capabilities in relationship to the work you’ll be performing. You are required to climb a ladder using 3 point contact. You are also required to carry 75 pounds 53 feet back and forth 3 times. You are required to push the equivalent of 100 pounds and pull 200 pounds using a gauge to measure the force. You are also required to lift different weight to different heights. To qualify for dry van, you have to lift 50 pounds to about five feet three times. To qualify for flat bed, you have to also lift 75, and 85 pounds the five feet three times as well as 75 pounds over head three times. Your heart rate is monitored throughout the assessment.

The next four days are spent learning the information that is needed to pass the written part of the CDL tests. In Texas, the pre-trip is tested by a written test. The fifth day you take your written tests to get your permit and for those that don’t pass that day, you can come back the next three days and take what you missed. Those that passed all of it the first day start learning to back up and parallel park. After four days of backing up and parallel parking, you go to the shifting range and then you go out on the road. After road driving you take your driving skills test for your CDL.

Our class started with 34 candidates and ended up with 16. One didn’t pass the physical because of blood pressure. Others didn’t pass the background check, drug test, or could not get medical clearance. There were a few that had to try the following week to take their written tests so they also were not in the same class anymore.

All but two students got their CDL’s the day I tested. One was to come back the following day to try again. The other one removed a bumper of a parked SUV even before getting on the road to test. That student failed the test, was expelled from the academy, and has his tuition to pay back.

Swift sends you to the closest terminal to your home for orientation after you graduate unless you let them know you have another preference. They pay for the bus ticket to get you to the terminal. The orientation is training about Swift policies and such. Then you are assigned to a mentor/trainer. New students are sent out six weeks while experienced drivers get any where from zero to two weeks before they go solo.

I had been told last week that I had a mentor and that he would be contacting me. The following day I found out that that mentor had decided that he wasn’t taking female students any more. This meant that I have to wait another week to get on with a mentor/trainer. So.. that is where I am at thus far

If there are any questions, please feel free to ask.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:09 AM
Senior Board Member

While you are waiting, is Swift picking up the tab for motel / eats? Are or you at home waiting?
Old 09-02-2008, 03:12 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Re: Encore career

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobry4u
I attended Swift Driving Academy in San Antonio, Texas. It took a 34 hour bus ride to get there (Swift pays for the bus ticket). It was pretty much what you would expect a long bus ride to be like. The first day at the academy was spent getting physicals, having a Workwell physical assessment, and filing out paperwork. I want to give a bit more information about the Workwell physical assessment because I really couldn’t find a lot of detail about it. The purpose of the assessment is for an employer to evaluate your physical capabilities in relationship to the work you’ll be performing. You are required to climb a ladder using 3 point contact. You are also required to carry 75 pounds 53 feet back and forth 3 times. You are required to push the equivalent of 100 pounds and pull 200 pounds using a gauge to measure the force. You are also required to lift different weight to different heights. To qualify for dry van, you have to lift 50 pounds to about five feet three times. To qualify for flat bed, you have to also lift 75, and 85 pounds the five feet three times as well as 75 pounds over head three times. Your heart rate is monitored throughout the assessment.
By any chance, did they follow OSHA REGS and give you a "BACK SUPPORT" while doing these "assessments"? I knew another company that used to do that. The assessments. But they did not provide any kind of back support. Things like rolling a full 55-gallon drum onto a pallet. No back support and someone called OSHA in. Company went out of business back in '98.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:12 AM
Senior Board Member

I am at home waiting. We all went home after orientation. Swift paid for the bus ticket or will be reimbursing for gas. I live an hour and a half from the terminal so I drove myself. [/quote]
Old 09-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

Quote:
I am at home waiting. We all went home after orientation. Swift paid for the bus ticket or will be reimbursing for gas. I live an hour and a half from the terminal so I drove myself.
[/quote]

What about pay? What do they expect you to live on while wait?
Old 09-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Windwalker wrote:

By any chance, did they follow OSHA REGS and give you a "BACK SUPPORT" while doing these "assessments"? I knew another company that used to do that. The assessments. But they did not provide any kind of back support. Things like rolling a full 55-gallon drum onto a pallet. No back support and someone called OSHA in. Company went out of business back in '98.
No back support was provided. Part of their assessment is to see if you lift correctly. They did provide gloves. The weights were put in steel milk crates and the crates are pretty rough on bare hands.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Evinrude wrote:

What about pay? What do they expect you to live on while wait?

I am paid nothing while I wait. I read last night in the handbook that I can go to another terminal and wait with the hopes of getting on with a mentor quicker, but I have to pay the expense of getting there.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Quote:
Windwalker wrote:

No back support was provided. Part of their assessment is to see if you lift correctly. They did provide gloves. The weights were put in steel milk crates and the crates are pretty rough on bare hands.
They're opening themselves up for one hefty lawsuit. And, OSHA will NOT back them up. By law, they should be providing the back supports for you. That back support does not stop them from seeing if you lift correctly or not, and it does nothing about your heart rate. They are in the wrong on that one.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Windwalker wrote:

They're opening themselves up for one hefty lawsuit. And, OSHA will NOT back them up. By law, they should be providing the back supports for you. That back support does not stop them from seeing if you lift correctly or not, and it does nothing about your heart rate. They are in the wrong on that one.
I hear what you are saying, Windwalker. Perhaps because the assessments are given by Workwell trained physical therapists that, from my understanding,
stop you if you are lifting incorrectly, they believe themselves to be clear of the back support requirement. Concurring with you, that it is shy of preventing an injury.

I believe Schwan's uses Workwell assessments when hiring as well.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:01 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Quote:
Windwalker wrote:

I hear what you are saying, Windwalker. Perhaps because the assessments are given by Workwell trained physical therapists that, from my understanding,
stop you if you are lifting incorrectly, they believe themselves to be clear of the back support requirement. Concurring with you, that it is shy of preventing an injury.

I believe Schwan's uses Workwell assessments when hiring as well.
The company I referred to DID use Workwell. They DID get sued. Not an excuse. And, I know about that one because I was working for them when they sold out to M. S. Carriers. It was the only way they could get out from under the lawsuits. They had 3 of them pending, and it was promising to get very expensive. Either way, they were not going to stay in business when it was over. One lady that was required to roll that barrel up onto a pallet pulled several muscles loose from the anchor to the bone. I know that was one of the lawsuits. And, she got a nice chunk of the sale price for a settlement, out of court, since the company sold out.