User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

There were not any back support belts offered to us, and I don't remember signing any "hold harmless" documents regarding the Workwell assessment.

You would think they would have CYA with the lawsuits pending. :roll:
Old 09-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

What length of commitment is Swift asking for currently?

Old 09-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
belpre122 wrote:

What length of commitment is Swift asking for currently?
I hope I am addressing your question correctly....

in regards to student loans and tuition reimbursement-

if you pay the cost of school ($3, 900.00), Swift will reimburse you in a one lump payment after 6 months of solo driving.

If you borrow the funds (student loan) you will repay the loan over 13 months. Swift will reimburse the tuition over 26 months.
So during your first 13 months driving solo both payment and reimbursement will be reflected in your paycheck. It nets to a $37.50 a week deduction (75 loan payment -37.50 tuition reimbursement).
Old 09-02-2008, 07:12 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Sure did answer my question, thanks.

Sorry to hear about the issues you are having regarding getting on board with a trainer.

Be guardedly persistent with them. Enough to make sure that they know that you have the motivation and determination, yet not too much as to be considered a pain. It is so easy to become lost-in-the-shuffle with the larger carriers. A little extra effort can go a long ways.

I have been following your posts, and judging from them, I think that you are going to do great once Swift gets you behind the wheel. Hang in there and keep us advised on your success!

Gary

Old 09-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
belpre122 wrote:

Sure did answer my question, thanks.

Sorry to hear about the issues you are having regarding getting on board with a trainer.

Be guardedly persistent with them. Enough to make sure that they know that you have the motivation and determination, yet not too much as to be considered a pain. It is so easy to become lost-in-the-shuffle with the larger carriers. A little extra effort can go a long ways.

I have been following your posts, and judging from them, I think that you are going to do great once Swift gets you behind the wheel. Hang in there and keep us advised on your success!

Gary
Thanks for that, Gary. I will apply your persistent yet not too persistent advice. Much appreciated.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:41 PM

That kinda sucks.I remember when I did orientation w/ marten a little while back, we got paid $500 for orientation and $100 a day layover pay for however long they took to get us into a truck.Took me 12 days to get my trucks.Anyways,good luck on your journey.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
MartenDrvrCA wrote:

That kinda sucks.I remember when I did orientation w/ marten a little while back, we got paid $500 for orientation and $100 a day layover pay for however long they took to get us into a truck.Took me 12 days to get my trucks.Anyways,good luck on your journey.
Thank you! ...
Old 09-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Senior Board Member

been with swift for almost 2 years now. come january 31st, it will be that mark. i'm only staying with them for the length because i want the $3,900 back, and then i shall hit up a roadway recruiter in the phoenix area. i've made friends with some of the ltl people with that company. they've already put in a good word for me.

i honestly don't mind the isolation of the sleeper. it keeps me away from all the whiners and complainers, and junk sales people at truck stops.

i simply want to have a life. i'm sick of seeing utah. i see that crap-ass state way too much. going into california does not bother me one bit. i don't know what the big stink is about it that many others have. i enjoy jamming through the mountain passes. i also don't know what the big deal is abotu cabbage. i've done it while it was iced over and dry. it's easy as hell. donner pass is, too. but, i can see where others screw up going down that pass. i keep the truck a gear or two lower from the truckee inspection station to auburn. once you're in auburn, there's just that one long hill and it's a straight one. just stay in the #3 lane to avoid the traffic coming on to the 80. especially from that one highway that goes into yuba city and marysville. there's always a large amount of vehicles coming on to the freeway from that highway. the mountain passes that get me when they're icy are whitebird in idaho, along us95, and vale pass in colorado. i won't go down those if/when chains are required. screw that. i'll wait it out instead.

the midwest is alright. the t/a in albert lea, mn is the best t/a there is. that chain doesn't get anywhere close to clean and spiffy as that one. my favorite petro is the one in wheeler ridge, ca. i remember there being a texaco gas station where that whole t/s is built. it was only a gas station and a large empty field. there was NOTHING else there. that was recent as 2 1/2 years ago, too.

anyway, i'll stop there. i need to find an empty and then head to teh shipper, and then it's off to great falls, mt! i haven't been there since it was covered with snow and ice.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:06 AM
Senior Board Member

I just wanted to update that I now have a mentor/trainer and will be coordinating meeting up tomorrow.

I am sooooo ready! :lol:
Old 09-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobry4u
I just wanted to update that I now have a mentor/trainer and will be coordinating meeting up tomorrow.

I am sooooo ready! :lol:

Well good luck to you!!! Are you set up to post from the road??