User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2008, 04:02 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbatson
Well I only have 7 months local experience so Im just trying to get more experience and move on to better things but dont want to job hop either just rather stick something out for a little while
Team driving is a whole different animal. It is pretty damn challenging, from what I hear.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 04-09-2008, 04:31 AM
floored
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoCorleone99
Team driving is a whole different animal. It is pretty damn challenging, from what I hear.
took me a good week to learn to fall asleep in a moving truck and on a schedule different than what I was used to driving as a solo. most the time we ran so hard that I didn't even know what day it was anymore, I'd get up drive my 10, and get myself to bed cuz I was so darned drained from it all. showers, food, bathroom breaks and whatnot was another challenge..

Would I do it again? Probably not. I like running on my own time. I got a lifetime friend out of it though
Old 04-09-2008, 09:27 AM

I still don't get the .30 - .35 part. Are you saying she hasn't told you exactly what you'll be making, she's just given you kind of a range? If that's the case, I'd expect that your check'll show .30/mile. Which is too low to leave the house, if you ask me, let alone be out all week.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:31 AM
Board Regular

Well Fed Ex has to check me out first and we are going to talk some more Friday so I will see how it goes and let you know I just hats the 1099 deal but then again I will get my experience that I need and I just dont know if this is it or take my luck with a big company.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:07 AM
Board Regular

Ok now I got another question about driving for a contractor. Now if and when it comes time to look for another trucking job, will this driviing experience be on my DAC? Basically I'm askin if you drive for a o/o who regulates it about what goes on your DAC that way the next company has some kinda proof you worked for this person and not just calling them on the phone to verify employment. "Floored" and a few others I recall you said you drove for Fedex maybe you can enlighten me please? Thanks.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy
Ok now I got another question about driving for a contractor. Now if and when it comes time to look for another trucking job, will this driviing experience be on my DAC? Basically I'm askin if you drive for a o/o who regulates it about what goes on your DAC that way the next company has some kinda proof you worked for this person and not just calling them on the phone to verify employment. "Floored" and a few others I recall you said you drove for Fedex maybe you can enlighten me please? Thanks.
DAC really has nothing to do with verifiable experience as a whole! Were you run into problems with a contractor or small company that does not use DAC, is if they go completely out-of-business and cannot be found or the O/O - Contractor is 6 feet under!

Keep excellent records, all your 1099's, log sheet, etc., anything that can prove you worked for that contractor for x amount of months and how many mile you had driven! While this is not a total fail safe, it can sometimes make a huge difference in being hired or not!

As in the case of Fed-Ex, they will have records that you were driving for that contractor, how long, etc!
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 04-10-2008, 01:25 AM
floored

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy
Yeah I don't know if it ends up on your DAC or not.. i know when I applied at UPS they didn't pull my DAC, they called to verify past employment.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floored

Yeah I don't know if it ends up on your DAC or not.. i know when I applied at UPS they didn't pull my DAC, they called to verify past employment.
Exactly, the regs state that employment must be verified through your prior employers! Says nothing about DAC! I know when I went to TMC, they had trouble getting verification for a local Asphalt company I had worked for! I had my wife go over to the owners home, with a letter stating the period of time I worked there, and that I left to go OTR (not bad behavior) and had him sign it, then faxed it to Des Moines to put in the file!

One time I had a 6 month lapse in verifiable employment, during an extended vacation, and trying to start my own business - I was required to have 3 people write letters and have them notarized stating that they knew me, my whereabouts during that time period, etc.!

There are ways to handle it, just depends on your attitude, and how badly you want to go to work for that company!
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 04-10-2008, 03:19 AM
Board Regular

Oh ok, I thought that the DAC also helps companies verify your past employers, but ok I understand now and I will definately keep all logs! Thanks.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Rookie

From my experience be very careful with anything connected to FedEx Ground and contracting. AS an actual employee of FedEx you'll be treated ok, but as a contractor or a driver for a contractor look out. I was a contractor and found that they are a very dishonest company and won't obey the laws. They don't play by the same rules and have a team of lawyers to keep you where they want you. They still owe me over $400,000. The IRS agrees that they are dishonest but it costs too much to do anything about it. Anyway, my experience with them was very costly. Working for a contractor they may verify employment experience down the road but FedEx themselves will not verify anything. With a judge and a court order FedEx refused to verify that I had a contract with them. In my IRS audit FedEx refused to verify anything, even with a court order. I had to prove everything through receipts, 1099's, etc. You could check into the Teamsters lawsuit against FedEx Ground for a little info. So far FedEx Ground has lost every lawsuit concerning employee/contractor/driver issues, but it is costly to sue them. Overall, be very careful of FedEx, if you can act like a subservient employee ALL the time while paying like a contractor, you may do ok. Don't expect any loyalty or favors from FedEx and get everything in writing with signed witnesses not part of FedEx. I found that management refuses to sign any official agreements and witnesses down the road won't back up any agreement if they were a part of FedEx. Good Luck.