User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2008, 04:05 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default FEDEX...

Hello all, I found this job and called about it, it's otr for Fedex. Article says it's for team drivers 100% drop/hook, terminal to terminal. Guaranteed 1000 miles per day all miles paid. Now I know I can probably find out most of this stuff from the recruiter but she sounds like she's never even been near a big rig so I'm almost worried to ask cuz she probly wont know. So has anyone any experience or friends with experience doing this? Is it true 100% d/h, what kind of trucks, benefits? Any info would be appreciated. I'm not sure but I think it's Fedex Custom Critical loads, but then again I thought only o/o's do those cuz their trucks go faster, I dont know, anybody know?? Thanks.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:37 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: FEDEX...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy
Hello all, I found this job and called about it, it's otr for Fedex. Article says it's for team drivers 100% drop/hook, terminal to terminal. Guaranteed 1000 miles per day all miles paid. Now I know I can probably find out most of this stuff from the recruiter but she sounds like she's never even been near a big rig so I'm almost worried to ask cuz she probly wont know. So has anyone any experience or friends with experience doing this? Is it true 100% d/h, what kind of trucks, benefits?
From the gist of it...sounds like either FedEx Ground or FedEx National LTL. Ground is a real lowball outfit, unless you're that edited jedfxg who thinks .28 cpm is top dollar for pulling wiggle wagons. The only bennies you'll get at Ground are through the contractor you slave for...his lordship might toss you a couple of uniforms out of the kindness of his heart. FedEx National is close to LTL scale as they hire O/O teams and company drivers. That's where I'd hitch my wagons to - but only as a company hand. Forget the O/O rent-a-truck/lease BS...9 times out of 10, you end up as a company driver with a truck payment and no bennies.

As a general rule of thumb, terminal to terminal drop & hook is the only way to go. No stops, no deliveries, no pick-ups, and no monkey business to waste your money making hours. No breaking your back lumping freight after eleven hours of driving, either. Just drop, hook, and go. And when you're out of hours you hang it up for the night -end of story.

You hear a lot guys whining and crying about driving all day and lumping freight all night. I never could understand why they do it in the first place. As far as I know it's still a free country and you can still make your own choices. And that's the real key.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:28 AM
Board Regular

Right on thanks LBJames.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:07 PM

well i do drive for a ground contractor. and yes no benefits through him...but i do make well over enough money to buy my own insurance and retirement plans. it is 100%d/h, terminal to terminal. i run solo and my run does 2610 miles a week. but it sounds to me that the reborn CFM...lebron james still thinks that we make 28 cents. he can beleive what he wants and that is fine, but that is true about d/h, and terminal to terminal if it is a ground contractor. and if you are deling with ground, the person you talked to is probably the owner of the truck you will drive. and yes fedex ltl does make more money per mile than me.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:11 PM
Rookie

I've been with Fed ex Freight for almost 11 years now and I will tell you its a good organization to be with. It does sound like your with either Ground or National LTL. Not much experience with either one but both drivers I have talked to have had decent things to say. Out of all the Fed Ex Companies Freight is the powerhouse organization. Your best bet would be to try to get on with any two (National LTL) preferably and get some doubles experience and try to go with freight if you could. Just my opinion on the matter. But either way I think you'll like it. Good luck! If you have any questions you can pm me.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:03 PM
Rookie

I am a driver for Fedex Ground Linehaul and yes it is drop and hook and I make more than .28 cpm. The only thing I complain about are the long hours (12 hours days) but it is easy money and easy work. I listen to the radio all day and not have to deal with anybody's BS. I also make enough to pay my own insurance.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Board Regular

wow, everything sounds good to me so unless something else and it has to be pretty good looks like I'll probably go with these guys, thanks everyone great info!!!
Old 03-29-2008, 01:21 AM
floored

I ran at Fedex Ground (see Teal 95 KW's avatar for the pic to prove it, haha) with a very good contractor out of Sacramento. This has been nearly 2 years ago, but I was paid on a .35cpm split (went in with 3mos experience) and we would run a little over 5k miles per week, Id bring home $700 something each week average, sometimes close to a grand. He offered full bennies at no cost to me or my family, but I left him and purchased my truck before those kicked in. I do believe he now pays his teams 50cpm split and local guys at least 42cpm.

No touch freight ever. 98% of the time trailers were ready and waiting when we got to the yards. It was a very good company to run with, however if you go with ground you do not work for fedex per say, you work for the contractor.

My only real bitch was having to be in uniform, or they wouldn't dispatch ya.

BOL to you
Old 03-30-2008, 03:08 AM

The problem with FedEx Ground and pulling for a contractor is that you've got too many people in line ahead of you who get paid. First, Uncle Sam gets his cut, then FedEx takes theirs, then the contractor gets his, and you get what's left over.

Too many drivers focus only on the .cpm but you've got to look at the total package. Are you paying for health insurance out of your own pocket? If so, how much? What about a retirement plan like 401k? Does the contractor offer one and if so, does he match any money you put into the kitty? What about paid vacations, paid holidays, and paid sick leave? If FedEx requires you to wear their uniform, why are you picking up the tab?

You're better off on the LTL side as a companyman: FedEx Freight or National. You get a pension, 401k with company matching, Cigna health insurance, paid holidays, paid vacation, paid sick leave, overtime, and uniforms 100% paid by FedEx. Plus top-rate at those outfits is around .55 cpm for linehaul...you won't see anywhere near that at Ground.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron James
The problem with FedEx Ground and pulling for a contractor is that you've got too many people in line ahead of you who get paid. First, Uncle Sam gets his cut, then FedEx takes theirs, then the contractor gets his, and you get what's left over.
Or the correct/simpler way to get paid- get paid from contractor, pay taxes, bank whats left.

My Dad used to haul cars for Fedex in an enclosed trailer, but thats more headache and money than ground or LTL.