User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2008, 10:44 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Newbie - Looking at Stevens

Hey fellas, been here for a few weeks reading up and boy am I glad I did. I'm about as green as you can get when it comes to truck driving so I needed a company that would train me. I was going to go with CR England but I am not now, thank you all. It appears that I may go with Stephens. I live near Allentown, PA and was just looking for any advice on other companies that would work well. I don't like swift and SNI is taking forever. Any and all suggestions are appreciated! Thanks everyone
Old 03-27-2008, 11:13 PM

Werner has a training terminal in Allentwn in fact a buddie of mine is there right now. if you were ever in he military they offer a good pay. I have heard horror stories about them, but who knows. I actually called Steavens Transport Their training is 3 weeks $350 then they stick you in a truck with another 3 weeker and you drive team for 3 more weeks @ $350. I thought that was crazy. I wouldn't want to trust my life to a newbie. it is one thing to kill myself but to trust a new guy... I don't think so. They have nice KW trucks and outfit them nice. have APU's in them.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:42 AM
Rookie

I am an Army vet but does Werner hire people with zero experience? I read that too about going on the road with a newbie, pretty scary.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Stevens/Werner

Mike C,
"ever in the military they offer a good pay" Werner does hire people with no experience, all truckin' companies love vets for the following reasons, which are just a few. They work well on their own, can routinely pass drug tests, understand responsibility, and focus on gettin' the job done. Werner doesn't "offer good pay", they want you to augment their cpm by using your VA ed benefit cloaked as an "apprenticeship". And what do you do for ed benefits when you decide driving isn't for you and your hard earned VA ed benefits are gone. It doesn't take long for the ten years after your discharge or retirement to go by.
As far as Stevens, you can do better. BOL
Old 03-28-2008, 02:53 PM
Senior Board Member

If you want proper training going through a company driving school, Stevens Transport of Dallas will be your best bet! The other companies give you the bare minimum and stick you with a trainer that just wants your miles, then when you get in your own truck, your realize you still do not know enough.

The next best option, since you have your VA bennies, is to find a good private training company (Note: Not Roadmaster) and pay for your own training. Then you will have other options besides the big companies, although the pay will take awhile to get in the comfort zone! But that goes with any new driver!

By all means, stay away from CR England and their training and lease program!! I know several guys that are still trying to dig themselves out of a financial hole, and a bad credit report!

I was shutdown at the Pilot in Waco the other night, and watched a trainee with another large carrier, with his trainer standing outside of the truck, trying to back into a rather large spot! IT was obvious the school had not taught him anything about backing, and the trainer was not offering any advice either. One thing about Stevens Transport, when you get done with their program, if you pay attention and apply what is being taught, you will definetly be able to back into just about any hole that the 75 + foot long unit will fit into! Even the worst H.E.B. and Walmart docks.

If reefer transport is not your thing, shoot me a PM with your interest, I can try and help you! I am not a recruiter for anyone! Just hate to see people get promised the moon and end up with dirt!

Have a great day!
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 03-29-2008, 02:08 AM
Rookie

Cool, thanks a bunch. Can't PM you, I guess you need at least 50 post before that. I got a call back from Roehl transport today as well. It seems they pay real well and I would like to get into flatbeds too. I do like the miles Stevens offers but I don't know much about reefer trucks.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:01 AM
Rookie

I'm considering Stevens. I finished school in January. I would've gone with a company right after school had I known my current company was gonna screw me! :evil:
Old 04-30-2008, 03:16 AM
Default Re: Newbie - Looking at Stevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC
Hey fellas, been here for a few weeks reading up and boy am I glad I did. I'm about as green as you can get when it comes to truck driving so I needed a company that would train me. I was going to go with CR England but I am not now, thank you all. It appears that I may go with Stephens. I live near Allentown, PA and was just looking for any advice on other companies that would work well. I don't like swift and SNI is taking forever. Any and all suggestions are appreciated! Thanks everyone
I explored all my options and found I was eligible for free training on the government's dime. I am starting a PTDI certified school here near Tobyhanna, PA. If you can get free training or a low cost loan on your own that would be better than sponsored training. Otherwise try Schneider. They seem to be one of the less evil companies with training.

BOL
Old 05-01-2008, 01:53 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I wouldn't get out of bed for .26 cpm. Those are some cheeeeeeeep wages, driver.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:05 PM

well lebron james you knucklhead, he is starting...as in brand new driver. you are experienced...that is why you would not get out of bed for 28 cents. but maybe he would, maybe he neads to get started somewhere to get experience, maybe 28 cents and good miles would provide for his family in a good manner where maybe your cost of living is higher than his. when are you going to get over yourself and give some decent advice beyond coolie carriers suck, otr suck,etc. remember it was an otr driver that brought the stuff to you to deliver on your 20 to 25 stops per day job.