User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2008, 01:12 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Job security my butt :lol: Go ask an old PIE driver how secure his job was.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:27 AM
Board Regular

I'm not looking to start some union vs. non-union war here guys. As we know Lebron James (CFM) has stirred up his fair share of $hit in the past and he has no right or reason to criticize anyone for where they choose to work at. Everyone in every line of work I'm sure tries to maximize profits and do as best as they possibly can for themselves and their families. As an example we all know that Wal-Mart pays their employees next to nothing wages, with little to no benefits but yet we don't sit there and tell that guy or lady that their stupid for doing so because we know that they are there to make a living, but yet everyone in trucking will bitch at Swift or CRE driver for trying to doing the same. There are places that I would never work at here but people in my community are dying to be employed there. There is a pipe factory here that is 130 degrees continuously, you have to drink a full glass of water every 4 mins ( company policy ) in order to not pass out, but yet they have more applicants for these positions than they have openings. Anyways, as the trucking industry combined we all need to look for ways to help each and keeping this industry a vital part to the economy. Without our trucks no one could survive. Look around the room almost everything you see was a one point hauled by truck. So hats off to the men and women who day after day continue to do this job to keep America afloat.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Something about NEMF.......

You figure it out.

Adapt and overcome.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:37 PM

Young zw you say job security my butt, in reality who has job security?, The big A hole in the white house does, all of his croanies do until he has to cover his butt then they go away ( "you did a good job Brownie")
Bottom line all the freedoms that our fore fathers wanted for this country have been used and abused and now we are forced to work in a greed filled society. 98% of American workers have no job secuity or employer loyality that is just the plain truth, but at least if I am helping to make some one else rich then I would like to get a decent pay package that is garanteed not to change at any time along with it, UPS Freight does that and as long as I am employed with them it is garanteed for the length of the contract 5 yrs now I was wrong when I said 7 yrs it goes until July of 2013. I may be low on the senority list but I am not in the bottom 10% those are the guys that will go first then maybe it will hit me who knows, are you garanteed employment free from changes and lay offs? I bet not.
Your company right now can come out and say due to the cost of fuel you are no longer going to recieve detention pay, or we are going to institue a new policy concerning breakdown pay instead of 24 hours it is now 72 hours. They can stop matching 401ks if they like or anything else they so choose to do. With the union contract UPS can not change a thing concerning pay, retirement, breaks, hours, and almost anything, that is my point at least there is some secure feeling in that..
Just my opinion
Old 05-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

so running team out for a few days, or what you call lay down meets are not over the road drivers????
Old 05-07-2008, 12:52 PM

in addition, whether the otr driver is within your company or not that otr driver still made the cushy local job possible. i think you missed the point snowman, otr is otr. would you want to do those team runs, probably not. well i don't wanna bumb 25 docks a day. just a personal preference. nothing against your job.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:14 PM

cushy local jobs, hah thats funny...
yes they pay well and the hours are great for the most part but cushy, not
Like you said bumping 25 docks a day, some with no docks and the consignee wants you to hoof it off the back, yea right, then you have some dock workers who could care less about thier job and load any way the want, so lets say 14,000 pounds on the right side of the trailer and then 7,000 on the left, your first stop up in the nose with all others stops in the back. It is just like any other job they all suck in some way or another....
You just have to weigh the pros and cons to what you as the individual want from your daily drudge in life....

Timberwolf
Old 05-07-2008, 05:17 PM

well i was trying to make the same point as you...to each their own kinda' thing. i guess CFM and others like to put down OTR drivers for their choice in what they want to do...thought maybe the same treatment is in order. who does CFM work for? does anybody know? to me and maybe others out there they would not wanna do the bumbing docks all day, and i know for sure as shit i ain't humping no frieght..leave that for the shit for brains that can't figure out how to do a job without some union boss telling them how to do it. and who gives a shit about your pay? why is it that it always comes to that...."my job is better than your cause i make more" sounds like a playground fight. you know what since i am in the right mood, you all ups guys and whoever like to put down every otr company around let me try one. Buster Brown is the biggest shitbag company out there. spend years waiting by the phone while your family starves to death, tehn when you get in good they look for ways to try to get you out before they have to pay the full retirement. they even make you take a mandatory unpaid break everyday...what a bunch a scupbucket bottom feeders.

wow, that was more fun than i thought it would be. maybe that is why you guys constantly do it, cause you cannot think of anything remotely inntelligent to say.

i know i sound like a dumbass putting down ups that way, but it is somewhat true.

think about it next time y'all open your pieholes.

can't wait for the responses...and before you go insulting my company and pay there CFM, uhm lebron james...make sure i didn't recently switch jobs. all without asking you what i should do.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Board Regular

And you know how UPS operates how ?? Have you worked for UPS ? If so, where ? I spent 31 years at UPS. I now have a comfortable retirement due to my work and that of the Teamsters on my behalf. So will the UPS Freight Teamsters, no matter what you say or think. As far as PIE, you can blame that one on T. Boone Pickens and the "trickle down" theories of Ronald Reagan. PIE (AND C/F, because I just KNOW you will bring that up next) were both profitable companies. Deregulation and corporate raiders destroyed PIE. I know, I was on the committee that saw their books and C/F. Both times we were told "no the contract doesn't need to be re-opened, we're fine"....No-one posting here that I can see has anything bad to say about OTR drivers, just the one's that haul freight for NOTHING. You say we should "stick together" ?? Yet in your useless posts you just lambast people who believe in organized labor. UPS Freight workers are just now finding out just how advantageous it is to have a strong union behind them and we (the employees of UPS-active and retired) are very happy for them and welcome them to the IBT. 2 suggestions jedfxg: spell-check is a wonderful thing and perhaps you lighten up on the beers and posting....
Old 05-08-2008, 12:18 AM
Board Regular

Good Lord, can't we have a post without it turning into an argument over OTR vs. local? This is rediculous. For crying out loud, aren't you ALL truck drivers? Some people just need to ignore Lebron James or CFM or whoever the heck he is.