User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedfxg
well lebron james you knucklhead, he is starting...as in brand new driver. you are experienced...that is why you would not get out of bed for 28 cents. but maybe he would, maybe he neads to get started somewhere to get experience, maybe 28 cents and good miles would provide for his family in a good manner where maybe your cost of living is higher than his. when are you going to get over yourself and give some decent advice beyond coolie carriers suck, otr suck,etc. remember it was an otr driver that brought the stuff to you to deliver on your 20 to 25 stops per day job.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Your shorted the count there driver! It was a bunch of OTR drivers, that provided the stuff, fer ole FrostyMug to make his 20 to 25 stops per day!!

And...Ole FrostyMug(....LeBron James fer you newbies) keeps failing to mention not only which OTR company he gained his driving experience from..but he never mentions which unionized LTL carrier he drives ......or works the dock for !! :P :P :P :P
Old 05-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Newbie - Looking at Stevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC
I was going to go with CR England but I am not now, thank you all.
You are headed in the right direction Mike. Glad you listened. Now just make sure that you continue to disregard the mysterious "CALLER NUMBER BLOCKED" solicitations that will begin to come your way from the sewers of J.B. Hunt.
BOL

Old 05-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

.26 cpm…you'd have to be retarded to pimp yourself out hauling groceries for that kind of chump change. Better off going down to the nearest rest area and drop your pants and bend over a fuel tank. Christ what a chicken$hit outfit! Plus I heard they install grass burner exhaust systems…who the hell is the moron specing their trucks? Probably never drove one in his life

Why run your tail off for .26 cpm when you can make the same $$$ at a higher rate for less hassle? 3,000 mpw reefer miles at .26 cpm is a whopping $780 on the gross….not even jed in his doublewide with the polyester curtains and redwood deck would be living high off the hog.

You’ve got to get the best runs for the best rate. The idea is to run less for more -not more for less. Bear that in mind and you'll come out smelling like a rose! If reefer is your bag, then at least try and hire-on to a better paying carrier like Marten or Shaffer.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron James
.26 cpm…you'd have to be retarded to pimp yourself out hauling groceries for that kind of chump change. Better off going down to the nearest rest area and drop your pants and bend over a fuel tank. Christ what a chicken$hit outfit! Plus I heard they install grass burner exhaust systems…who the hell is the moron specing their trucks? Probably never drove one in his life

Why run your tail off for .26 cpm when you can make the same $$$ at a higher rate for less hassle? 3,000 mpw reefer miles at .26 cpm is a whopping $780 on the gross….not even jed in his doublewide with the polyester curtains and redwood deck would be living high off the hog.

You’ve got to get the best runs for the best rate. The idea is to run less for more -not more for less. Bear that in mind and you'll come out smelling like a rose! If reefer is your bag, then at least try and hire-on to a better paying carrier like Marten or Shaffer.
I believe they are the same company now, unless they split the sheets again! First, he will have to find an accredited school that is on there list, seeing as he has no experience! Then, he will get hired on and be with a driver trainer for 6 weeks - last add showed making $250.00 a week! Then, when he gets his own truck - he will be making a whopping >01 cent more than Stevens.

So while you advice has some merit, it is not completely on the level! With no experience, he will be in the .26 - .28 range for at least 6 months to a year! Remember - you were there once!

I ran for Stevens when I first started OTR, and yes, my average pay on the company side was around $750.00 week! Was in some of the best company spec equipment on the road, with an excellent maintenance program. In 3 months, I went to the Alliance fleet and was taking home - look and read - taking home - after expenses - $1200 - 1500 a week!

So life is not all that bad at the Stevens sweat shop! There only problem is the same as all the other reefer outfits - they want you on the road 4 - 6 weeks without home time! But that is standard with the big fleet reefer outfits, including Martin and Schaefer, unless you get on their dedicated regional stuff - which with 0 experience - he wil have to wait a while for that!

Fire away!
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 05-04-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryhorseman
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron James

I believe they are the same company now, unless they split the sheets again! First, he will have to find an accredited school that is on there list, seeing as he has no experience! Then, he will get hired on and be with a driver trainer for 6 weeks - last add showed making $250.00 a week! Then, when he gets his own truck - he will be making a whopping >01 cent more than Stevens.

So while you advice has some merit, it is not completely on the level! With no experience, he will be in the .26 - .28 range for at least 6 months to a year! Remember - you were there once!

I ran for Stevens when I first started OTR, and yes, my average pay on the company side was around $750.00 week! Was in some of the best company spec equipment on the road, with an excellent maintenance program. In 3 months, I went to the Alliance fleet and was taking home - look and read - taking home - after expenses - $1200 - 1500 a week!

So life is not all that bad at the Stevens sweat shop! There only problem is the same as all the other reefer outfits - they want you on the road 4 - 6 weeks without home time! But that is standard with the big fleet reefer outfits, including Martin and Schaefer, unless you get on their dedicated regional stuff - which with 0 experience - he wil have to wait a while for that!

Fire away!
Not necessarily
Old 05-05-2008, 05:15 PM

they are makin some damn nice doublewides nowadays!!!!!
Old 05-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedfxg
remember it was an otr driver that brought the stuff to you to deliver on your 20 to 25 stops per day job.
I've read this a few times here lately. Not true, at least not in LTL. It may happen on occasion for some long haul or where there is no return freight but for the most part we pull our own freight beginning to end. What do you think we're doing all night long with all those doubles? As a matter of fact our contract forbids outside carrriers unless there is no return freight or everyone and every truck is being used. We have sleeper teams that run Harrisburg, Fontana, Dallas, all over. We have laydown runs, meets. We are a trucking company ya know. Not that I have anything against OTR but I dont know where you guys are getting this from. I'll bet contract carriers pull less than 10% of our freight. Maybe more at smaller companies, I dont know. But every LTL company has a city operation and a linehaul operation.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:59 PM

yep, snowman is right to bad Orlando is a no return frieght site as our yard is full of contract carriers, the local says to give them some time and they will be gone but UPS is not a stupid company they know how to play the game.... As far as wheter or not CFM is workingthe docks or driving it does not matter he is still making the same pay if he is working UPS Freight, I am a $20 an hour dockworker now with garanteed 40 a week and getting 10 to 15 ot every week, not to bad for moving frieght with a fork lift, it is hard work but so be it I don't mind with all the benefits I get the pay off is worth it....

Timberwolf
Old 05-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
yep, snowman is right to bad Orlando is a no return frieght site as our yard is full of contract carriers, the local says to give them some time and they will be gone but UPS is not a stupid company they know how to play the game.... As far as wheter or not CFM is workingthe docks or driving it does not matter he is still making the same pay if he is working UPS Freight, I am a $20 an hour dockworker now with garanteed 40 a week and getting 10 to 15 ot every week, not to bad for moving frieght with a fork lift, it is hard work but so be it I don't mind with all the benefits I get the pay off is worth it....

Timberwolf
The teamsters must not know the difference between a dockhand and a truck driver. They start you guys off load the trucks before they even let you drive one. Whats next are you guys going to be dockhand/driver/mechanic all in one. CFM preaches his bs that the drivers should pay the mega carriers that they work for, but yet you guys pay dues for your boss's salaries every month. :lol:
Old 05-06-2008, 10:42 PM

Hey Young ZW,
When I started at UPS Freight in July of 2007 I started right off driving, no dock work what so ever, I started at $18.58 an hour, now at just 10 months of employment I am making just under $20 an hour, OT kicks in at anything over 8 hours a day, My family health plan is a garanteed $100 a month with no increases for the next 7 years, That in and of itself is huge..... Before the union I paid $195 a month for health insurance. Now it is a total of $1200 a year for a great health insurance plan garanteed not to rise in price for the next 7 years.... not many companies can do that.. I am paid for all holidays including little ones like July 4th and my birthday. in July I will have two weeks of paid vacation along with the 4 personal days I can take at my discretion. I have protection from a boss who is having a bad day and feels like making the shit roll down hill in my direction. Plus a whole host of other benefits to numerous to get into. As far as my monthly union dues go it is just under $50 a month for now even with that I am still coming home with an extra $45 a month in my paycheck, go figure, just for your information my dues do not go in my bosses paycheck, where did you come up with that one?????? they go to the union and yes they are getting rich, but at least I know for a fact that for the next 7 years I am garanteed 40 hours a week of pay can your company garantee that? Yes I may have to work the docks for a while due to my senority rating but what the hell it is what it is I am still making the same cash and benefits. You have to look on the bright side my chances of getting into an accident have just been reduced drasticly. I have no problem working the docks in fact it is helping me get into better shape. I am still home every night, and on the weekends and when it comes to holidays I will be home as well getting paid. At some point I will be back in the drivers seat it is just a matter of time. The Union has good and bad just like every other factor in life but at least being in the top 90% I know I have a garanteed paycheck coming in for the next 7 years... You cant beat that in this day and age.....

Timberwolf