User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2008, 07:53 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

The trucking industry is like a bucket with a big hole in the bottom, or like a black hole in the center of the galaxy--- eventually everyone gets sucked down the vortex. The further from the event horizon you are-- the happier you are... but like the post before states--we all love to complain about the 'big hole' we're circling around. If companies don't want to listen to the actual complaints....which they don't( they just pay lip service to solving the driver turnover problem) then We will continue to make noise and point out the reasons we're unhappy and why we're looking else where for a solution.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg
yeah...it's funny I find this tread tonight.. this afternoon I was standing around(in shower line) waiting for a shower and started talking to this Willis Shaw driver-- we were both waiting there for 45minutes for a shower. And
he said he was unhappy-- only getting 2000 miles a week at .32 cpm. And only making $600.00 a week.
I was getting a little discouraged myself as I have better things to do with my
TIME than stand around WAITING....then it occured to me....If I wasn't driving a truck.....I could be HOME taking my shower....and if I wasn't DRIVING a truck-- I wouldn't be on a 2100 mile load that doesn't final out until Saturday-- thus depriving me of a REGULAR pay check.( Saturday is 1day past Payroll cutoff)

So! Just how valuable is a WEEK'S WORTH OF LIFE?

Drivers would be much happier IF companies would GUARENTEE some amount of money for a full weeks worth of putting up with ALL the CRAP.

Instead of just taking advantage of all the FREE LABOR and extra duty work we put in---and is expected of us as Professionals.
I mean we are not only drivers, but Security Guards, Load Babysitters, Actual Babysitters(Driver Trainers), part time mechanics, we're expected to help load/unload, make phone calls to customers(like O/O), and pull cash out of our own pocket(sometimes) to finance this Operation. And when there's no freight.....we're expected to just set quietly and starve while the company waits for the phone to ring. Or to find just that load that
pays .10cents more per mile.
whats the big deal about the load not paying till next week? You'll still get paid for it. As far as waiting I know that sucks but it seems that happens more with the reefers that dry van may be time to switch to Crete?
And help load and unload for free?? whats the saying oh yeah Not me Not now!! I make very few call to customers and only when it will benifit me such as will you take load early?
Waiting for a load?? make a pest of yourself, after awhile they'll find something for you just to get rid of you. Try it it works
Old 02-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Senior Board Member

My friend Doug was sitting at the Wilmer Texas terminal all day yesterday waiting for a load. He called back at 1500hrs and he had made it down to number 77 on the list. At 1530 he got a qualcom that they were done for the day and to call back in the morning.....
Old 02-29-2008, 10:43 AM
Senior Board Member

The grumpy old man who taught me to drive stated it very clearly
during the training..

"The only time you matter to a trucking company is if you f@#k up"

:wink:
Old 02-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Senior Board Member

They say freight ususally begins to pick back up in March...
Old 02-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTrkr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
I have hired both UPS drivers and Walmart drivers when I was hiring for JB. They werent happy there. You will find unhappy drivers and happy drivers at all companies.
Ive said this before, but I will repeat it again. In all the years recruiting and talking to 1000s of 1000s of drivers about their employers, the company Ive talked to the most happy drivers at was Swift. Of course they are the largest....but they have A LOT of happy drivers there. Also they get the most complaints
And let me guess, you just happen to be recruiting for....Swift.
Does it matter? It's just a numbers game...Swift has the most drivers, period. Therefore they have the most happy drivers and the most disgruntled drivers.

Reb

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-29-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:

And let me guess, you just happen to be recruiting for....Swift?

He recruits for a few of them ...I've come to understand you need to realize the recruiter is just doin a job ...like anyone ... be smart but if your guarded and going to take "everything " personal ...you'll create your own "bad" situation ...its a trade ...Ive taken a list from these guys on the "interview and job search " thread ....stick to those questions and make sure you know what all the terms mean and youll do okay I think

I think alot of Newbies like myself dont want to look stupid ...but every "dumb Question" i have asked is inevitably answered here ...and only makes me smarter in the end ...so theres my .02

Shawn
Old 02-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Rookie
Default Re: How come every company is on the crap list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbatson
It seems like every company you find on here is talked down on so why do drivers keep on driving and swithcing companys if it never gets better?
All the companies are trashed on here because truck drivers by and large are a whiny bunch. Seriously.

Find one crying about his company how how good it "used to be" and call him on it. Ask him why he doesn't leave the industry if things suck so bad. Chances are, he'll just hem and haw around the question and find someone else to whine at. This reaction leads me to suspect two possibilities:

1. The driver is too much of a coward to affect change

2. The driver isn't really unhappy and simply whines for the sake of whining.

Both are equally plausible.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:43 PM

hey zipy46??? They told you the freight will pick up in march??? Sure, it will pick up SOME DAY. Last year I was told at Shaffer that NEXT MONTH freight will pick up again. They told this to me till JULY, when i finally brought my truck back to the terminal and told them where they can put it.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Rookie
Default Re: How come every company is on the crap list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzebra
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbatson
It seems like every company you find on here is talked down on so why do drivers keep on driving and swithcing companys if it never gets better?
All the companies are trashed on here because truck drivers by and large are a whiny bunch. Seriously.

Find one crying about his company how how good it "used to be" and call him on it. Ask him why he doesn't leave the industry if things suck so bad. Chances are, he'll just hem and haw around the question and find someone else to whine at. This reaction leads me to suspect two possibilities:

1. The driver is too much of a coward to affect change

2. The driver isn't really unhappy and simply whines for the sake of whining.

Both are equally plausible.
What a bunch of sh!t!
Everyones situation is different, Sometimes you have to find you niche.
Just because your willing to settle for one thing doesn't mean the other guy has the same needs.
A big part of it when one is new at the OTR thing is unfortunatly there heads are filled with promises of money and home.
NOT EVERYBODY WANTS TO LIVE IT 24-7
My advice for new drivers is to do your reasearch before you leap. It is true these companys are one thing but driving schools also have there aggressive recruiting tactics to. Know what your getting into.
If you are willing to survive it can be a great way to make a living.