User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2008, 03:54 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Heartland Express

Anyone have information on this co., and what is the (green mile)
Old 02-20-2008, 04:05 PM
Senior Board Member

The Green mile is a program Heartland has where if you cross into the "Green Zone" (The "green zone" is the area north and east of I-81 from Maryland north.) You are paid 4 cpm more. So somewhere between 51cpm and 54cpm for OTR, and 46cpm and 49cpm for regional....Depending on experience.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:03 PM
Default Re: Heartland Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw6831
Anyone have information on this co., and what is the (green mile)
And not all they say is real.. get the fine print. 8)
Old 02-20-2008, 05:43 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
get the fine print
Yeah, and when you get your hands on the top secret fine print, make sure you save me a copy so I can see it, too. I've always wanted to see it.

:roll:

For what it's worth, there are thousands of companies out there and millions of drivers. Heartland ain't for everybody, just like JB Hunt ain't for everybody, either. Same goes with every other company out there. Maybe Heartland Express will be the cat's meow for you and maybe it won't. Catch some drivers out there on the road and ask around. That's the best way to find out if any company has what you are looking for.

A rule of thumb, really for anyone to follow. If you can find a company out there that meets about 75% or so of what you are looking for, that's probably going to be a good fit for you. There is no perfect company out there and no perfect match out there for a driver, just as there is no perfect driver out there. Everyone is human, doing what they can to make a business successful.

Good luck to you.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Twilight...when you get the "top secret" fine print, send it to me.....
Im amazed that you can come up with a program where you will be making 54cpm for some of the miles you are driving and people will still try to find something wrong with it.

Wait here is the fine print.

if you dont like the green mile program Heartland offers and 54cpm, you are welcome to drive for someone else and make 36cpm for the same miles driven
Old 02-20-2008, 08:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Twilight...when you get the "top secret" fine print, send it to me.....
Im amazed that you can come up with a program where you will be making 54cpm for some of the miles you are driving and people will still try to find something wrong with it.

Wait here is the fine print.

if you dont like the green mile program Heartland offers and 54cpm, you are welcome to drive for someone else and make 36cpm for the same miles driven
Doesnt matter what you make per mile if you dont get any miles. besides, as we have been told, only drivers who are paid by the hour are any good..
Old 02-20-2008, 09:27 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
Doesnt matter what you make per mile if you dont get any miles
I've got to get on that one. Here's my question and this really goes to anyone. I'm not asking this to be combative...I'm bringing it up to illustrate the point. I hear people say with a lot of companies, not just Heartland... "I don't get any miles."

So what do you consider NOT ANY miles? If you're under 3000 miles a week, is that considered not getting any miles? 2500? 2000? What's the cutoff?

I hear that with so many drivers that I've started calling them out on it. If a driver calls in and tells me he's wanting to change because he doesn't get any miles, I'll ask him straight up what he's getting. You know what I'm finding out? MOST drivers consider getting around 2000 miles a week is not getting any miles.

Let's see.

With Heartland, 1 year of experience puts a driver at a minimum of $.40 in a regional or $.45 OTR (another penny if he has HAZMAT). Our regionals average around 2000 to 2200. OTR is averaging around 2300 to 2500. Using the "NOT getting any miles" complaint, 2000 miles would gross a 1 year driver $800 to $900. That's pretty lowball, but for the sake of argument, I'll go with that.

That's $41,600 or more for the year, for a 1 year driver, using the numbers above, which are low on the average side. Truth is, our averages are in the mid $50'000's for regional runs and in the low $60,000's for OTR guys.

Again, averages. Top OTR guy clipped $85K total last year and the top regional guy his $76K.

Are there guys that don't get any miles? Again, depends on the guys definition of NO miles. I'm sure there are guys that get FEW miles or don't get AS MANY miles as the averages. After all, average means that half the guys are doing better than that number and the other half are not. But you'll find that in this industry, a lot of that is going to fall back on the driver. Not all, but a lot of it. A driver that gets out there and runs, does his job, and doesn't mess around in truck stops, isn't going to do that bad. And if you're getting $.45 a mile, give or take a couple of pennies, those average miles equate to a pretty decent living.

Again, I will say that there are some good drivers out there that would do well doing just the averages, but somewhere along the way dispatch or planning has dropped the ball. Yeah, that sucks and it's something that we or any company worth their salt is going to want to eliminate. But by and large, you will find that those guys that take their job seriously and drive the truck and wait until they are done for the day to play, are going to at least run the fleet average, which is going to equate to a decent paycheck.

My thoughts. Take'em or leave'em, but I'm not posting to argue about them.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:03 PM
Senior Board Member

I am not going to argue for or against Heartland or any other company in this thread. What I am going to say is that drivers need to get their sole focus away from miles and start focusing more on your pay at the end of the week.

Yes the adage of if the wheels are not turning....yadda, yadda, yadda....holds a certain amount of truth but it is not all there is to it. You must look at the entire picture when it comes to pay.

Many of you know I used to work for Knight, which many consider a low paying company, but the vast majority of my checks would have made, and did make, many a driver a bit green with envy. Did I run 3000+ every week. Nope. Did my pay come close to averaging that 3000 miles per week or more? Yes it sure did. Why, because of accessory pay. There was little I did for "free". (This is not an endorsement for Knight, just used to illustrate the point.)

It is time for all drivers to wake up a bit and take a look at the forest instead of focusing on a single tree. Work smarter, not harder.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
I am not going to argue for or against Heartland or any other company in this thread. What I am going to say is that drivers need to get their sole focus away from miles and start focusing more on your pay at the end of the week.

Yes the adage of if the wheels are not turning....yadda, yadda, yadda....holds a certain amount of truth but it is not all there is to it. You must look at the entire picture when it comes to pay.

Many of you know I used to work for Knight, which many consider a low paying company, but the vast majority of my checks would have made, and did make, many a driver a bit green with envy. Did I run 3000+ every week. Nope. Did my pay come close to averaging that 3000 miles per week or more? Yes it sure did. Why, because of accessory pay. There was little I did for "free". (This is not an endorsement for Knight, just used to illustrate the point.)

It is time for all drivers to wake up a bit and take a look at the forest instead of focusing on a single tree. Work smarter, not harder.

thats a big 10-4 what you have in your pocket at the end of the week is all that counts!!
Old 02-20-2008, 10:18 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
What I am going to say is that drivers need to get their sole focus away from miles and start focusing more on your pay at the end of the week.
That's it right there.

And I'll also add that my examples were based strictly on mileage pay. But when talking about yearly numbers, the guy that made $85K certainly didn't do it all on mileage. :shock: