User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2008, 10:56 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Here is that fine print seems kinda skilly lol

if you dont like the green mile program Heartland offers and 54cpm, you are welcome to drive for someone else and make 36cpm for the same miles driven
Old 02-20-2008, 11:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Back when I worked for JB, I had the ability to check drivers mileage. More than once a driver quit and when I called them up and asked them why, they said they werent getting good miles. I would just agree with them, say sorry it didnt work out and hang up. Then I would check their miles. Almost always when I figured out their average miles per week, it was a little above average....usually around 2500-2600 per week. Which was pretty much what I told them it would be. This amazed us. They were obviously getting average or above average miles. We wondered why they would say that and quit. We figured it must be that they were listening to drivers on the CB telling tales of getting 3500-3800 a week and making fun of them. Either that or they had a bunch of great weeks then a few bad ones, then just said to themselves...THIS SUCKS, I QUIT.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog
only drivers who are paid by the hour are any good..
Thats right :wink:

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 02-21-2008, 12:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
CB telling tales of getting 3500-3800 a week
I was sitting down to eat supper one evening and got talking to a driver sitting near by. He asked me how many miles I ran in a typical week. I told him anywhere from 2400 to 2800. He laughed and said he ran 3800 to 4200 every week.

I got the last laugh though when he told me he grossed about $1000 per week because that was what I made on a 2500 mile week. :roll: :lol: :lol:
Old 02-21-2008, 02:12 AM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Quote:
CB telling tales of getting 3500-3800 a week
I was sitting down to eat supper one evening and got talking to a driver sitting near by. He asked me how many miles I ran in a typical week. I told him anywhere from 2400 to 2800. He laughed and said he ran 3800 to 4200 every week.

I got the last laugh though when he told me he grossed about $1000 per week because that was what I made on a 2500 mile week. :roll: :lol: :lol:
I averaged 4000 miles every week while driving a company truck, from Chicago to L.A. , 2 times per..
Grossed alot more than a grand..
Old 02-21-2008, 01:33 PM
Rookie

My experience with Heartland went like this. I was living in Columbus Oh at the time, mid 90's. Heartland had opened a terminal in Columbus. I called one of their recruiters, told them I'm looking for something so I don't have to go to the east coast, just stay in the midwest. He told me about their midwest regional, nothing east of Dubois Pa or Carlisle Pa. Average 2200 miles per week. The mileage pay was good and the benefits were okay so I went to Dubois Pa on a greyhound for orientation.
First load went straight to south Philadelphia, further east than Carlisle, but still not in the region I agrred to run in. Every week I was in New Jersey or Philadelphia{east coast}, get the picture. The most miles I got in a week while I was there was 1900. A lot of short haul 200 mile Sears fingerprint loads and 180 mile fingerprint mattress loads and then to New Jersey and back eventually. When I questione my dispatcher about this I was told that the recruiter don't dispatch the truck, that I should be thankfull I worked for such a great company. So when I got the truck back to Columbus one weekend, I just cleaned my stuff out and told them to call me when they had a load going to Dubois Pa so I could take the truck back to the terminal where I got it, so they don't bag me $1. a mile to return it for me.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:17 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Mid 90's? :roll:

I've been here nearly 7 years and you're still 5 or 6 years before my time. Not disputing that you had a bad deal here, but how is 12+ years ago relevant to how things are with a company, ANY company, today? Just askin'.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Senior Board Member

I share a regional lot with Heartland and Walmart. Other than the POS I.H. trucks we all drive, they are a pretty happy crowd.

Nobody has terrorized the terminal offices yet at least...... :shock:
Old 02-21-2008, 05:15 PM
Rookie

Twilight Flyer wants to know why it's relevant because it happened so long ago. Its relevant because it happened, and its been my experience that these companies never change for the better from a driver's perspective. I had issues with going to the east coast then, just coming from a company where I was in Brooklyn NY on a weekly basis. All they had to say was , no you'll have to go the east coast, and I would have politely declined their employment offer and saved us both time and expense. I'm just putting my personal experience with these companies up where people can see them and the time I worked there. They can choose to use it or ignore it. If you think it's irrelevant then ban me from your forum.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Board Regular

There have been numerous Heartland express posts , the cents per mile they pay is just like every other company once you add up all the negatives . HHG miles , short hauls , detention after 8 hours , heavy loads , lots of back roads . You will work a lot harder for your .47 cpm at Heartland then say .41 cpm at a place like Crete .