User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2008, 12:47 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Is There any good training companies out there?

I am looking to get my CDL but cant aford to pay for it myself and there are no colleges in my area that offer the training. I have talked to both stevens and swift but continue to read nothing but horror stories about there programs. can anyone give me some positive feedback about either of these two companies or suggest one that is worth the time and energy?
Old 02-20-2008, 12:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Schneider has the best reputation. One positive about Swift and Schneider is their schools are PTDI certified. So that never hurts on an application.

Stevens is so-so. The big drawback to them is, after being with your trainer, you have to go out with another trainee and drive team while making student pay for several weeks. That's just insane. Why in the world a company would send two trainees out in a truck? Because they make a lot of money using two newbies as a team.

Central Refrigerated is another decent training company.

I would avoid the others that train. ie Pam, USA Truck, CR England and CRST.

Prime has mixed opinions. I don't like how they make you ride as a team with your trainer for 5-6 months.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:03 AM
Rookie

Thank you for the feedback, I will look into Schneider.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:15 AM
Senior Board Member

There are 10s of 1000s of successful truck drivers out on the road right now that started at Swift. The fact is you just arent going to be paid that well your first year until you get some time and miles under your belt.
Think of your first year as ALL SCHOOL.
Yes, Swift, Stevens, Usa truck, Schnieder and all the training schools get a lot of flack with drivers....However, you NEVER will hear a company turning you down because one of those companies is on your resume for your first year. However, if you choose some unknown company without a good school, good luck getting a good job after your first year.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:32 AM
Board Regular

I agree with Sheepdancer. Once out of school your education continues every day for the rest of your driving career. Many older drivers say that if you don't learn something new every day in trucking then you are dead. Even after 2 years the lessons continued for me. It was always a challenge out there but great deal of satisfaction when I faced a challenge and suceeded in accomplishing the task set in front of me. Good luck in your education.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:29 PM

www.wksh.com

good school, good company, good luck.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:13 PM

There are the what i call big 10 companies with that said. best bet is Schneider. At least there you will get a course on all weather conditions and they will take care of you if you make it 2 years.. They will sweaten the pot because they will have a built trust.. Remember think long term not short stick it out for at least 2 years. Do not get anything tickets or accidents. and you will get a real good reputation.

Remember your dispatcher pushes you, You set the time trip plan learn to say no the times that do not work.. 99.9% of the time they will respect you more for it and will help you in the long run. you will get better loads and they will ask you the time that you can make.

We are not cowboys were frieght re-location experts and customer service agents. We have 2 cutomers on each trip were we pick up the load and deliver it to. Some companies will be nice and others are jerks. Learn to live with it.

After 2 years people will put you at the top of the list. This is really a customer service job.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:00 PM

MD and sheep both great posts.

BJ, It has been said many times that any company can be a good company. Ive worked for a couple that people hate and I loved it there(werner). Just look at the company and see which one fits what you want best. Ive heard that schneider has a great school. Ive also heard from a few guys that the school that PAM and USA have are good schools too. I guess its what you make of it. If you go to school and work for a company for a year to pay it off and you like it there then stay If not just give it another month and if things dont improve move on. Keep a clean record and you'll go far also dont job hop. You will lose a lot of money by changing & in the long run and fewer and fewer companies will actually look at you when they see 10-20 jobs or more in a 10 year period.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:37 PM

As a former Schneider driver, I can vouch that their training is top notch. They are extremely safety oriented. You will NEVER be asked to run over your 11. You will NEVER be asked to run in inclement weather, or if YOU feel it is unsafe. You will NEVER be asked to run a load you cannot complete Safe and Legal.

When I went to their school the contract you HAVE to sign (unless you are in California) was 12 months. I was in the very last class before the new 18 month contract was implemented. When you weigh all of what Schneider is offering you, the 18 month contract is not all that bad. If you leave to find "Greener Pastures" before you have at least 1 yr experience, you will quickly find that they are all the same or worse. So be a man and stand by your contract with Schneider. When your contract is up you will have the right experience with a company that is respected through out the industry and you just might find your "Greener Pasture," as I have done.

Schneider is not the best and they certainly not the worst. I did a HUGE amount of research before I chose Schneider. I weighed all that was in front of me and I made my decision. There were a few times I almost quit though. When all was said and done, I am happy I worked for Schneider. I am also happy of the great training and the FREE CDL I received.

If you work for them try and get a dedicated run, P&G, Kimberly Clark, Target, JC PENNY, etc. Schneider is such a huge company and if you get stuck on system and hate it, don't quit. There and many, many different dedicated runs that have different home time and Pay.

Hope this was helpful.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:08 PM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again........avoid Swift at all costs. Try Schneider or US Xpress. Swift does have a great training program, but that is the only positive of the whole company. If you would like to know why I'm saying to avoid Swift, PM me and I'll explain in more detail. Good luck.