User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2008, 07:19 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Congratulations on your new job Jim! I wish you all the best and hope things go well at May Trucking for you! Stay out of the BLM parking lot! :lol:

Please keep everyone updated on Miles, pay and all of that other stuff.

One thing when my husband was there you had to pay for your own toll on the roads then May would reimburse you, is this still true or did they get an ez pass for the tolls?

It is bad news!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 01-27-2008, 09:16 AM
Rookie
Default scythe8

I am willing to pay my dues for awhile. I have the best wife in the world. I hunt and fish A LOT. She claims she is a single parent with 5 kids. But seriously, we sat down and talked this out as to where and what direction we would go with this. We even talked it over with the two older kids. We have a good plan as to where this will go.

Scythe thanks! That was a great point you brought out. If you are committed to someone you had better have some pretty straight up conversations about going OTR. Even Regional with "weekends off"(day and a half) you need to have a good plan and most of all a good support system.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Rookie

eptp88

Sorry about your experience. May is not for everyone. They do have a no idle policy and they mean no idle. You can however request it from your Dispatcher in extreme conditions and Dave was very clear about this in Orientation. Wish you luck though. What are you up to now?
Old 01-27-2008, 09:28 AM
Rookie

Goin Fer It's Wife

Still pay them with reimbursement. As you know they use Transflo and if you have your stuff in by Tuesday afternoon you get paid Thursday night.

Thank you for chiming in. Your thread inspired me and I continue you to read the up to date ones.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbosterling
eptp88

Sorry about your experience. May is not for everyone. They do have a no idle policy and they mean no idle. You can however request it from your Dispatcher in extreme conditions and Dave was very clear about this in Orientation. Wish you luck though. What are you up to now?
When I was there in 2004, you could idle up to 30% versus total driving time. Has that changed?

For example, drive for 10 hours, you can idle without penalty for 3 hours.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:46 AM
Rookie

When I was there in 2004, you could idle up to 30% versus total driving time. Has that changed?

For example, drive for 10 hours, you can idle without penalty for 3 hours

Yeah in the summer. They have cab heaters in the trucks now and they ask for zero in the winter, but you ask for some if it is brutal cold.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:52 AM

Quote:

For example, drive for 10 hours, you can idle without penalty for 3 hours

Yeah in the summer. They have cab heaters in the trucks now and they ask for zero in the winter, but you ask for some if it is brutal cold.
I was thinking about May if I ever had to go the OTR route again, but now I'm not so sure. A no idle policy is pure BS in my book regardless of fuel prices. If I'm out on the road, the truck becomes my home, and to not be able to cool it in the summer is just not right.

If they are are running APU's that keep the truck warm in winter and cool in summer, fine. Otherwise, forget it.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Goin Fer It's Wife

Still pay them with reimbursement. As you know they use Transflo and if you have your stuff in by Tuesday afternoon you get paid Thursday night.

Thank you for chiming in. Your thread inspired me and I continue you to read the up to date ones.
I am glad that you were inspired by our thread! I hope you enjoy May Trucking and everything works out for you!

One thing that was nice also is that when May Trucking did let my husband go they did give him a way home. Some of these companies just leave the drivers stranded and I think that is wrong.

It all worked out for the best. My husband likes the hours and times in flat bedding much better than in dry van.

Again Best Wishes! I will be watching your thread.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 01-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Rookie

Good after noon everyone! Just wanted to clarify the idol policy, at MTC. We allow 10% in the winter because we have the Wabosto heaters in the trucks. They run off the fuel system and keep you very warm. We allow 30% in the summer.

The reason for our idle polices is to reduce the amount of drivers out there idling for no reason at all. For example a driver leaves his or her truck running and goes in to take a shower, then decides to have dinner, oh and then plays at the game machines for a couple of hours. You have about 5 hours of unnecessary idling.

Now for clarification on being uncomfortable in the summer. We do not expect for you to roast your self to death. If you as a driver have good communication with your D/M you will not be charged with over idle. If the weather is to hot for you to sleep then all you have to do is let them know via Quail Comm. Just send in a message when you get up and say it was hot out side please for give 10 hours of time or how ever many hours you idled the truck.

To be a successful OTR driver with MTC or any other trucking company out there, you must self manage yourself. Your D/M is out there to help you be successful but only you are responsible for yourself. COMMUNICATION IS THE KEY!

Just a FYI for all you drivers out there that may think that I am just a recruiter blowing smoke and trying to make the sale. You may think that I have no clue about OTR. Wrong, I did my time out there. I put in 10 years OTR. All 48 states most of that time I did it solo. I have been working for MTC for about 5 years in which 3 of those years where driving for MTC OTR coast to coast. I still hold my CDL and drive on the occasional weekend. I miss being out the on the road but I was blessed with a baby girl. So for that reason, I can not drive OTR any longer.

Stay safe out there everyone!!

Opal

OPAL RA' VAE DOVEL
DRIVER RECRUITER
800-547-9169 X 3214
503-390-8836 FAX
[email protected]
Old 01-30-2008, 11:32 PM
Board Regular

Just post back in a year or so and let us know what you REALLY think. Right now, you know very little about the trucking industry, so it's all "sweetness and light"...Curious to see how long that (and you) last....gotta love that "free time" right Opal ??