User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I'm starting w/ May this Wednesday in Salem. Will post more as I get info. Cntryborngal has great info, pretty much what I've been told as well.

10cpm.... have you called the main office? Opal, one of the recruiters posted her contact info at the beginning of the thread:

Quote:
OPAL RA' VAE DOVEL
DRIVER RECRUITER
800-547-9169 X 3214
503-390-8836 FAX
Honua Gal
Old 02-19-2008, 12:04 PM

OK Here is all that i know for sure since i have not been back there for 12 months nothing has changed.

Depending on were you live yes you can take it home all you need to do is tell your OSL aka Dispatcher.

Expect to be put up in a nice hotel and get fed lunch (breakfast is at the hotel) ..

They will let one driver take the van to the hotel every day.

Day 1 Introduction some paper work and DOT pee test.

day two Loggong and driver test The may way. The drive tester is the safety person. Rick or his buddy both are good check mirrows look left and right when turning when backing GOAL..

Day three small stuff truck assingment then day 4 you will get a load and they will try to get you by the house that week but do not count on it.

Make sure you do a QCOMM for time off at home in advance. Watch your pay check and make sure it is all correct write down everything proof is on you. 99% of the time they pay you right but sometimes they miss small stuff keep copies af everything.

All the rest is good.. :twisted:
Old 02-19-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmichaud
do they let you take your truck home with you
You are in a good terminal they work you there and fight for all the miles do not be scared to have your OSL change the delivery times they do it like that there.. Read down about the first days at hiring by me. :twisted:
Old 02-20-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntryborngal
No, they don't like you to take your truck home BUT if you ask your DM very very nicely there are certain things, like getting it rigged up, radio, tv, etc. You just pay the off-track miles.

Well, I drove the 90 miles down and met him in Halsey last night, spent the night and followed him up. Then we spent the afternoon at Jubitz after he picked up a load in Camas (Georgia Pacific) that delivers in Kent tomorrow. Then I came home and got the kids and I went back out there and had dinner. Was kind nice. Kids were excited to see him, especially his princess.

I would hate to be down in LA, I'm sorry you guys are stuck down there in it. Although, it turns out it was a little more than a minor rear-ending. Someone had a flat tire in the HOV lane and was changing it (IN THE HOV LANE!) and he got rear-ended while changing the tire. 3-4 car were involved. At least thats what he heard from a person at the Fontana yard. By the time my hubby drove by, there was only 1 car still there.

10cpm: One of the recruiters is watching this message board, maybe Opal will see it. Good Luck, hun! Call them everyday if you have too. They like communication anyway.

He has next weekend off so he'll be home for a few days. Make the kids and his dog happy :lol:

More later.

CBG

If there is a drop yard near by they will ask you to park there but if not then as long as its a lighted safe area they will let you park it.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:50 PM
Rookie
Default Long Lost Driver

Im Baaaaaaaack!

Sorry for not posting, but as Opal told you I have been working and my Laptop was on the fritz.

I would like to thank you all for keeping the thread alive! I have read the all the post since I was gone and I am caught up now. I wiil be home through the weekend and will catch everyone up on my experiences. I would first like to thank some people.

First off I would like to thank Opal for keeping the info going while I was on the road. I got to meet her while I was in Brooks, Or. What a Sweetheart. I would like to take the time to remind a few who read this that Opal IS a driver and is just not on the road now. She is very well versed on life on the road and when she posts she speaks from knowledge. If you dont like what she has to say or the info on this thread, please feel free not to read it or use it for your personal release. I was upfront at the start of this thread and said I would report my experiences. I have and will continue to and be completely honest about it. Opal was asked to post here by me as she has a lot of experiences that I have not dealt with. Enough with that.

I would next like to thank Tim Adams, my Trainer. What a great guy and turned out to be the perfect fit for me. I say for me because I dont want to mislead anyone and lead to believe that every Trainer at May is golden. He was just the right guy for me. Im a quick learner and very confident in my skills. Im a very driven person who likes to excel. Any how! It worked for me.

Back to my thanks to Tim. He had been out for 5 weeks when he picked me up in Pensacola. It was by his choice to be out that long. He wanted to be home at a certain time. He passed on that home time to take me out and get me ready to solo. Which I did in 1 week. Yes I know that sounds fast, but I told you I learn fast. It also one of the reasons I chose May. I didnt want to train for 5 weeks if I could be ready in two or one as it turned out. My point is that I realy appreciate Tim sacrificing for me by staying out. Stuff like that means a lot to me.

THANX TIM!

THANX OPAL!
Old 02-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Rookie

Let me catch you up on my travels.

Tim picked me up at the Pensacola(P-cola) Terminal on Monday afternoon Jan 28th. We went to Pendington, Al to GP to pick up a load of paper going to Pueblo, Co. We got there late and did a drop and hook. We stoped for the night just out side the gates of GP. A little po-dunk Truck Stop. We left the next morning and headed off to Colorado. Sometime around mid-day we fueled and Tim put me in the left seat. He was thrilled at my ability, because I could float already and was a good/safe Driver. He just let me drive and gave pointers along the way. He would let me screw up and than tell me the right way to do it. He didnt let me get in the ditch or anything. :lol: So on my first day of driving guess where we wound up at 5 pm on Tuesday.......that right The Big D in rush hour. Im sure Tim thought that was hilarious,but I did fine. I drove the speed I felt comfortable at and Tim said that was fine. 35 is real slow though. My apologies to anyone on I20 or I35 that day. We made it to Pueblo on Wed and Tim let me do all the driving from La on. I did all the unload procedures at Pueblo also. As a matter of fact I did all the driving from La on. As far as I know Tim is still in Payette, Id waiting on me to come drive his truck. :lol: Actually I talk to him every day. Asking question or him checking on how Im doing.

After Pueblo we got a load from our Denver yard going to Boise, Id. So guess what Tim tells me as we are getting ready to leave Pueblo. "This one is all yours" "You can do it all by yourself. Im just gonna ride". I said cool. I did all the paper work, Qualcomm, and driving. Dont get me wrong, Tim didnt go lounge in the sleeper. He was in the right seat the whole time guiding me through. This is why I said he was a perfect fit for me. I like to learn by doing it. Not by someone telling me how. Some people wont be reay as fast as I was. No knock on you, but some just take longer and thats fine. The most important thing is that you are comfortable with what you are doing.

We went to Denver. Picked up a load of sofas(10,000 in the box) that was a very light load and headed for Boise on Thursday. We made it to Larime, Wy and I80 was closed for weather. So I had been out for 3.5 days and was doing a 34 hour restart. We were there for 2 days. The biggest thing I learned there was that I need to work on my lying. You need to have 4 or 5 real tall tales to compete with those Super Truckers.

More later
Old 02-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbosterling
Let me catch you up on my travels.

Tim picked me up at the Pensacola(P-cola) Terminal on Monday afternoon Jan 28th. We went to Pendington, Al to GP to pick up a load of paper going to Pueblo, Co. We got there late and did a drop and hook. We stoped for the night just out side the gates of GP. A little po-dunk Truck Stop. We left the next morning and headed off to Colorado. Sometime around mid-day we fueled and Tim put me in the left seat. He was thrilled at my ability, because I could float already and was a good/safe Driver. He just let me drive and gave pointers along the way. He would let me screw up and than tell me the right way to do it. He didnt let me get in the ditch or anything. :lol: So on my first day of driving guess where we wound up at 5 pm on Tuesday.......that right The Big D in rush hour. Im sure Tim thought that was hilarious,but I did fine. I drove the speed I felt comfortable at and Tim said that was fine. 35 is real slow though. My apologies to anyone on I20 or I35 that day. We made it to Pueblo on Wed and Tim let me do all the driving from La on. I did all the unload procedures at Pueblo also. As a matter of fact I did all the driving from La on. As far as I know Tim is still in Payette, Id waiting on me to come drive his truck. :lol: Actually I talk to him every day. Asking question or him checking on how Im doing.

After Pueblo we got a load from our Denver yard going to Boise, Id. So guess what Tim tells me as we are getting ready to leave Pueblo. "This one is all yours" "You can do it all by yourself. Im just gonna ride". I said cool. I did all the paper work, Qualcomm, and driving. Dont get me wrong, Tim didnt go lounge in the sleeper. He was in the right seat the whole time guiding me through. This is why I said he was a perfect fit for me. I like to learn by doing it. Not by someone telling me how. Some people wont be reay as fast as I was. No knock on you, but some just take longer and thats fine. The most important thing is that you are comfortable with what you are doing.

We went to Denver. Picked up a load of sofas(10,000 in the box) that was a very light load and headed for Boise on Thursday. We made it to Larime, Wy and I80 was closed for weather. So I had been out for 3.5 days and was doing a 34 hour restart. We were there for 2 days. The biggest thing I learned there was that I need to work on my lying. You need to have 4 or 5 real tall tales to compete with those Super Truckers.

More later
Have you been through New Mexico or Arizona yet :?:
Old 02-22-2008, 10:16 PM
Rookie

We went through the corner of NM on the way to Pueblo. We do a lot of stuff in Cali and go through there though. I just havent made those runs yet.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Rookie

Well we got out of Larime on Sat and headed west. Made it to Eden, Ut. Roads were realy icy and we went slooooow. There must have been 10 trucks in the ditch on the way. Im guessing those were some of the guys that blew past us :shock: We stayed in Eden Sat night. We left Eden and made the easy trek to Boise. We stopped at the TA in Boise and took a shower, then went on to our Consignee. They said we could park out back for Monday delivery. Went got there about 2 pm and got set up for the Superbowl. Had a Subway just around the corner, so we had it made.

We made the Boise Delivery and headed for our next load. It was already in the Payette yard. We did a drop and hook there and headed off to Portland, Or with a load of Dog Food to Core Mark. We made that delivery on Wed am and headed for the home office in Brooks. I Soloed out on Wed and stayed with Tim. I was staying for the ride back to Payette to pick up my Truck. We went to Auburn, Wa to do a short run there and then to Patterson, Wa to pick up a load of wine to NJ. It was Tims load home for Hometime. We went over Snowquammie at night and had to throw chains. NO FUN in case you were gonna ask. I got to Payette on Thursday and got my Truck. I got a 2006 379 Pete. It has a few problems but I was jumping to get going so I didnt say anything. I will clue you into one thing. If your driver window doent close all the way. Have it fixed before you go tooling around in the snow and sub zero weather. Even 1/2 inch is to much gap.

more later
Old 02-23-2008, 12:31 AM
Senior Board Member