User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -FlyByNight-
I used to do M$ Windoze IT before I became a professional driver and don't intend on ever going back to an M$ Windoze based PC. Macs actually cost LESS than comparably equipped PCs and are far more reliable and easy to use even when running Windoze. Not to mention they're simply gorgeous looking. ALL new Macs come standard with OS X Leopard and iLife 08 to the best of my knowledge. I'm typing this on a MacBook Pro and do have Windoze XP Pro installed for some gaming, but that's the ONLY reason. Going with a Mac is a no brainer to me, but here's a link that may help you decide. Good luck! http://www.apple.com/getamac
I also used to do Windoze (and Linux) IT and am in process of going into trucking. I also will never own a windows machine. I don't have a MB Pro, but hope to order one next Tuesday.

Huh, weird, I also like Rush, and am hoping to go to Crete. Are you who I've been during the blackouts?
Old 01-08-2008, 11:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -FlyByNight-
I'm typing this on a MacBook Pro and do have Windoze XP Pro installed for some gaming, but that's the ONLY reason. Going with a Mac is a no brainer to me, but here's a link that may help you decide. Good luck! http://www.apple.com/getamac
If I bought a $2,000.00 laptop and I had to turn around and buy another operating system just to get it to do what I wanted it to do doesn't sound like a no brainer to me? My brother-in-law is a big Apple fan and I've played with his MBpro and I'm just not that impressed with it.

I paid $1,200 for a HP laptop that is pretty comparable to a Mac Book Pro. It's very fast, very reliable, 17 inch wide screen, Vista Ultimate w/office and it's also "simply gorgeous". I also don't have to dual boot another OS to do what I want it to do.

I guess at this point we have to agree to disagree? I'm not going to change you back to a Windows user and and your not going to convince me to by a Mac.

Here's an interesting article from Macworld:

Contest winner: Vista more secure than Mac OS

Old 01-09-2008, 03:08 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben45750
I guess at this point we have to agree to disagree? I'm not going to change you back to a Windows user and and your not going to convince me to by a Mac.

Here's an interesting article from Macworld:

Contest winner: Vista more secure than Mac OS
I'll agree not to proselytize, but that article actually speaks of a QuickTime exploit, not an OSX exploit. And while the hacker interviewed claims that he thinks Vista is better than OSX, he offers no reason behind it.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:28 AM

If we were playing poker, I'd have just folded...you guys/gals just left this "user" (as my wife calls me with disdain) (as in computer user) in the dust.
She won't take over for me, she doesn't care.
To the OP, hey, get what you like in a price you can afford, rare is the person who will use even half of what these computers are capable of doing.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:30 AM
Default Yes

Agree Rotts. There is a reason Macs are more expensive and so few own them.

Get a low cost puter that will do all you want. I have had laptops for many years now on the road and am my 4th. This one and the last one were Toshiba satellites that had good gigs of storage and decent memory and a built in cam and wireless capabilities. Great price too but look around. Also has been surprisingly rugged. If it is your first then go very basic and cheap and after you learn and know what you will use it for and your interests then in the future when you are ready for your next one then you can get what you know you want.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommee
I have a MacBook that I am very happy with.
I sold my 1-year old Acer on eBay and went to the Apple.com web site and leased a 13.3" MacBook! I love this machine.

1. The sound is way louder when you watch movies.
2. The laptop is lighter
3. The battery life is amazing: I'm no longer on a prowl for an electric socket.
4. I now use web-based maps (google and yahoo) 100% as I have a Garmin C330 GPS in my truck.

Try a Mac - if you feel you don't like closing windows through the left top corner (that's the only difference, really), you can always buy a copy of Windows and install it as a second or only operating system! Because modern Macs use Intel processors they work with Windows.

I"m leasing mine (2 Ghz processor, 2 Gb RAM, 160 Gb hard drive) for about 70 bucks a month for 2 years (all tax-deductible). At the end of the 2 years I'm going to return it and lease another one with the same $0 down!

I love my Mac!

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 01-24-2008, 11:37 PM
Board Regular

Good going tracer. I just bought a MacBook Pro. I'm running into trouble now finding a 12v plug for it, but I'll make it work.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:39 AM
Rookie

It depends on what you want to do. If you just want to get online check E-mails and surf the web and use mapping software go MAC. One thing you have to be less concern about virus Trojans and the like. Now if you are like me and do a lot of Gaming and also surf the web you have to go Windows based.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:41 PM
Board Regular

Depends on the games. Many of the better ones wind up on the mac. And WoW is my total time sink anyway. Might pick up C&C 3 for times when I can't get a wireless signal.