LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Silly Goose
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottsATruckin
I'm a bit vague on what does what and why, but the wife (aka the writer of computer code) is very excited about Leopard, something about the stability of a Mac and the flexibility of MS software. :?

All I know is that I'm sick of having 2 laptops in my truck (one is a spare for when, not if, the other one crashes). :evil:
I don't bother with the MS software, but I am just home. I am running OS X and if works fine for me. When this one dies is when I'll change to what they have next. Maybe when Macs became MS compatible they didn't quite work out the bugs. I think next time I would get the MacBook Pro. It comes with Final Cut, a better video editing system.

The Mac take some getting use to if you have used a PC for along time like me.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that mine can run Windows, but if you have a Mac why would you? Their OS is great. I don't know if the new ones come with Leopard.
Because there are a lot of programs and games that can only be run on a Windows operating system.

Quote:
Don't mean to rain on your parade but Windows is a pretty reliable operating system. 9 times out of 10 it's the computer that causes the problems, not Windows.
Guess I keep getting hit with that 9th time. I have yet to have any kind of hardware problem with my computer. Every problem I have ever had is due to a software error.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Board Regular

It's not cheap, but if considering a Mac, I'd wait until around the middle to end of this month. There should be (might be) some announced new products about 1/15.

And yeah, you boot to Winders because some programs only run on Winders.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:21 PM

I bought a Gateway little over a year ago, 1 gig mem and 40 gig HD. Use it with MS Streets and Trips and no problems so far. $349 from Best Buy. Has XP.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:02 AM
Default Toshiba

Am on my second Toshiba satellite. My last one I had almost 3 years and it still works but was getting beat up.

The new Toshiba has the AMD and not impressed with it so far. It runs hotter but has done the job. Also has the Vista and finally tweaked it that now I like it. I just disabled almost everything and now it is not such a memory hog. It is usually a good price but look around. Also check to be sure it handles the new wireleess aircard if you are using that. I screwed the pooch on that but found a way around it.

Macs are good for things but most things anyone want ity for are not what the majority want.

Good luck.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:22 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Toshiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdrvr
Macs are good for things but most things anyone want ity for are not what the majority want.
I could go on and on about why you're wrong But I'll just say that I've strongly considered the pros and cons of owning a Mac vs. owning another PC, and I'm waiting for next week's new product announcements from Apple.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:25 AM

I agree with uturn, I’ve used my HP Pavilion xt155 for years with no hardware issues, but the OS has melted down on me 4 times, I used to be a serious business user prior to driving, I’ve removed most of the big memory software because I never use it anymore.
BTW I paid about $900 bucks for the HP 5 years ago, I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 that kicks it’s a$$ for about a third of that price. (gently used)
I also run MS Streets & Trips with GPS 2007 version; I hear the 2008 version has huge improvements.
If you're going to use a broadband card check compatibility with the operating system!
Old 01-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottsATruckin
I agree with uturn, I’ve used my HP Pavilion xt155 for years with no hardware issues, but the OS has melted down on me 4 times, I used to be a serious business user prior to driving, I’ve removed most of the big memory software because I never use it anymore.
BTW I paid about $900 bucks for the HP 5 years ago
4 crashes on a 5 year old computer is pretty good considering how out of date it is, I'd have a back up too.

When a crash occurs there is a problem with a device in the computer, a driver for a specific device, hard disk corruption or failure, user error, incorrect version of files or missing files, virus's, CPU failure or a registry problem.

When your installing and uninstalling programs and devices you are constantly changing the registry, device drivers and key dll files which will eventually crash the OS. It's also pretty common for users to delete key files on accident while preforming maintenance. It's also inevitable the CPU and hard drive will fail at some point. Windows will not crash on it's own, something has to command Windows to change or delete files. Windows will only perform as well as the CPU, RAM and hard drive will allow it to run but yet people will complain that Windows is running slow.

And yeah, Mac and Linux is more stable. You can't do nothing with it, what you bought is what you get. Hackers don't screw with security flaws because Mac and Linux have such a small following it's not worth their time.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Silly Goose
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben45750
And yeah, Mac and Linux is more stable. You can't do nothing with it, what you bought is what you get. Hackers don't screw with security flaws because Mac and Linux have such a small following it's not worth their time.
I guess to each his own. Macs aren't cheap, as someone here stated. They are more expensive than a PC. The only gripe I had was I had to buy iLife because it didn't come with a word program. Macs have always been more for the graphics/artistic person that's why I like it. I plan on getting Photoshop at some point.

BTW, if the OP is interested it also came with a built in web cam. Now I don't know if that's a good thing or bad. :wink:
Old 01-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Board Regular

I used to do M$ Windoze IT before I became a professional driver and don't intend on ever going back to an M$ Windoze based PC. Macs actually cost LESS than comparably equipped PCs and are far more reliable and easy to use even when running Windoze. Not to mention they're simply gorgeous looking. ALL new Macs come standard with OS X Leopard and iLife 08 to the best of my knowledge. I'm typing this on a MacBook Pro and do have Windoze XP Pro installed for some gaming, but that's the ONLY reason. Going with a Mac is a no brainer to me, but here's a link that may help you decide. Good luck! http://www.apple.com/getamac