User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2008, 01:05 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Maverick purchased Schneiders glass and specialized division.None of the dry van division.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Rookie

ok uturn ,so who's #1 and why?seems like when you find one thats good on everything the pay is 25cpm doesnt seem enough no bs or not.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerroy
ok uturn ,so who's #1 and why?seems like when you find one thats good on everything the pay is 25cpm doesnt seem enough no bs or not.
There is no real number 1. The reason being is trucking companies all have a different flavor about them and one will be palatable to one driver and not another.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:29 AM
Rookie

yes that seems to be the norm.one man's gold is anothers you no what it seems training is the deal breaker for a lot of potential drivers. i'm not realy looking forward to that part of the job ,dont get me wrong i want training and need it.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:19 PM
Rookie

so big jeep did you goto the knight orientation what did you think? whats up with the sliding pay scale 33-35-39-40 or something like that and crete was somewhat similar i dont want to open a bashing flood gate between the two just curious if you found out about knight.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
whats up with the sliding pay scale 33-35-39-40
The shorter the run the more it pays per mile. It is no different than what many other companies do, except Knight just pays out more on a cpm basis than a lump sum amount.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:38 PM

I drove with Knight for 5 months. I left because I was getting out of trucking but what I had lined up fell through so I'm back at it till I can figure something else out. Knight is primarily regional but you may be asked from time to time to run out of your region a little but it's not that big a deal. I was out of Lakeland and ran over to texas, up to I-80 over to PA and down. That's a pretty big region but then that helps on the miles.

The first 3 months were great. Then, they got new dispatchers and things well all to hell. Freshely minted college graduates, umm humm..they be smart. "You're hungry? Can't you just pull into McDonalds"? Well, yes, yes I can... but how the hell am I going to get out?

That's a real conversation there.. I kid you not.

Anyway, the Biggest complaint I had with Knight was that they are seriously lacking on the amount of trailers they need. I spent hours in Atlanta on multiple occasions just trying to find an empty. If you have an empty and want to spend the night at the terminal in Atlanta, don't disconnect from it and expect it to be there when you get back. Oh, and watch your back walking up to that McDonalds by the terminal, there's trouble just waiting on unsuspecting drivers hanging around there.

Overall I wish I had stayed but giving CFI a try now. I've heard a lot, A LOT worse. I'd say on a scale of 1 - 10 they'd be a 7 maybe? something like that.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:34 PM
Rookie

When did you leave knight? It seems I constantly hear the trailer problem from everyone that post's about knight having to look for them.It makes me wonder is that a problem with other companies also.you said about the mcd's is that a ruff neighborhood or something about knight drivers that they didnt like from the terminal being so close
Old 01-13-2008, 10:58 PM

That particular McDonalds is in a rough area. That terminal is guarded 24/7 but just down the drive from the gate is the McD's. It's not a war zone or anything but I would NOT go there by foot, any time after dark and during the day I'm looking over my shoulder and scanning in front of me and to the sides while on foot.

I left Knight in Oct and the lack of trailer is an ongoing problem at most of their busier terminals. They'll pay you for your time spent looking for them but if you ask me, $12/13 per hour driving around in Atlanta during rush hour traffic in a big truck just isn't worth it. I'm sure the trailer issues happens at other companies but to what extent I have no idea. I can only comment on my own exp at Knight.