User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008, 02:17 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default As the Wheels turn with Goin Fer It and Family!

For any new people I would like to Welcome you to this new thread!

As my husband began his new career in trucking he went to Sage in Post Falls Idaho. A very good school but all trucking school does is teach you enough to obtain your CDL.

Because of May Truckings higher training pay that was $500.00 a week at that time he choose to go with them.

So off with his brand new class A CDL he began orientation at May Trucking on July 24, 2006.

He went out with his trainer but spent time off with his trainer at his house and actually was only trained for approximately twelve days driving. After his training was over he told me he was not shown allot of things on the list that the trainer was given for him to be taught.

Still he was anxious to get into his own truck and begin making money. He tested out on August 19, 2006.

He finally got his truck and his first load on Tuesday August 22, 2006. He left the yard late and he did not have his map book showing truck stops so he was looking for them more or less in the blind. He stopped at one it was full then he saw another one off the freeway but took a wrong turn. He knew he had to turn around and saw a parking lot he thought would be big enough to turn around in. Once he was in the parking lot he saw all the landscaping everywhere and knew he was in trouble. He ended up taking out a tree and a light pole on his first solo load. May Trucking kept him on but when they found out the amount that the BLM was demanding for the accident they were upset. Within two or three weeks he had a small fender bender. He only bent up another drivers fender but he was terminated on Wednesday September 20, 2006.

For all the details it is on the May Trucking thread my husband began! There was much legal hassle and much more involved.

http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...er=asc&start=0

With less than two months experience and only three weeks solo, having two preventables on his record things did not look good for him. Will at Sage said his career was not over and began to help us look for a new company. We had filled out an application on CAD and Davis Transport had known Will and contacted him for a reference for my husband. They believed that his training was not adequate and were willing to retrain him and give him a second chance. Will also had spoken to people he knew at Central Refrigerator regarding a position for my husband. With two offers my husband went with Davis Transport.

He began his job with Davis Transport on Monday October 16, 2006. Davis Transport stood behind my husband every step of the way through all our troubles and gave him a second chance as a truck driver. They put him in one of their nicest trucks around June of 2006 and always treated us well.

Although my husband was happy with Davis Transport I know that being out 6-8 weeks at a time was beginning to get to him as he missed the children and home. The Davis Transport family grew on CAD as new drivers began with Davis Transport.

On November 28, 2007 we were the last ones to hear that Davis Transport was going all O/O and L/O by January 1, 2008. Being a small company they were hit hard with the slow Lumber industry and for other financial reasons. We were not going to take the leap into being an L/O.

On Monday December 17, 2007 my husband made his final drop for Davis Transport. Tuesday December 18, 2007 he turned in his truck. We wish those at Davis Transport well and sincerely hope that they can overcome their financial difficulties and become a prosperous company again in the future.

The Davis Transport thread!

http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...er=asc&start=0

On December 26, 2007 my husband began orientation with his new company Systems Transport. And so our journey in this industry continues but it begins the new year with a new company and a new routine which should be different from the other two companies.

For those of you who have followed our journey through the good and bad Welcome to the new thread and thank you all for the wonderful support here! :P

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 01-03-2008, 02:18 AM
Senior Board Member

My husband is now employed with System Transport out of Spokane Washington. System Transport has approximately 1,100 units, this includes their sister companies units. They have different divisions even within the flat bed side which runs under System Transport. The refer division is run under TWT and the bulk/tanker division is a sister company called JJ Williams.

Under the System Transport side they have

1. Marine Division
2. OTR all 48 states Division
3. Pole Division
4. Northwest Division
5. Heavy Haul Division

There are other divisions for other areas but these are the ones available in the Northwest.

In the Northwest Division and the Heavy Haul division drivers are home on the weekends and sometimes throughout the week.

My husband is on the heavy haul division. He is not eligible to go into Canada because of our legal hassles over the accident he had when he was first employed with May Trucking. While the heavy haul and the northwest division both go into Canada we were told that in the Heavy Haul division they can work around people who are not eligible to go into Canada.

My husband with a years experience will be paid 38 cents per a mile. Tarp pay will be $40.00. He has been told he will get 2000-2400 miles a week. He will also receive $15.00 pick up and drop off pay for each load.

My husband will be receiving a $1,000 sign on bonus since he is now an experienced driver with more than a year. The bonus will be paid in the following manner. Thirty days $250.00, sixty days $250.00 and ninety days $500.00.

My husband chose to stay in flatbedding because he likes the hours they are more normal drop times usually day time hours whereas dry van hour drop times can very and even be in the middle of the night. With flatbed the receiver will usually take the load when you show up vs. waiting until your exact appointment time.

With the System Transport Heavy Haul division it will be far different than his experiences with Davis Transport as he will not have a trailer issued to him. He will not be running all 48 states.He will do drops and pick up different trailers. He will be going to Seattle allot and will stay in Oregon, Washington, Utah, Montana and sometimes Nevada. He was thrilled to here he will not be going down to California at all, as their laws are different regarding heavy haul!

With System Transport he does have a qualcom or something comparable under a different name. System Transport is a much bigger company and will not have the family type atmosphere that was found at Davis Transport, but the big plus is that my husband will see home much more! Hopefully the miles will be more consistent.

And so my husband and our family new adventure begins with the new year at System Transport!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 01-03-2008, 02:46 AM

I wish you all the best of luck in your new adventure, I have an acquaintance who is an O/O for System, he has a cabover and lives in Spokane and has told me he is quite happy with them, it’s not uncommon for me to see his truck as I drive by his home, he says he gets good miles and home time.
I had considered them once but for whatever reason chose my current company, my wifes boss was a dispatcher for System for 12 years and says it’s a good company to drive for, So will GFI be getting one of those comfy new Eagles they have?
Old 01-03-2008, 02:57 AM

I drive a flatbed and things are slow right now. One of our drivers said he was leaving for system transport because they guaranteed him 12,000 miles a month pulling a flatbed.(not sure what division,probably otr-all 48) It sounds like a good company. Good luck!
Old 01-03-2008, 05:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Day 1 Orentation Wednesday December 26, 2008

The new journey at System Transport began on December 26, 2007 with my husband being 45 minutes late to his first day of oreintation. There was a bad accident on the freeway and they had routed all traffic off the freeway he had to take side streets for a while.

Anytime we have some snow up here anymore in Coeur d' Alene Idaho there are many accidents. System Transport had made the offer to pay for a room for husband so he would not have to get up and drive in but he would rather be at home and in his own bed.

The first day at the oreintation was a typical day other than being late. Lots and lots of paper work for medical and health insurance. Saftey videos, and test.

Day 2 Thursday December 27, 2008
On day two of my husbands oreintation he ran into a snafu with his medical card. We had given System Transport the Medical card long form from Sage but his actual card was the one from May Trucking. The doctor's office that performed his physical from May Trucking said they would not release the long form to him since May Trucking paid for the physical when my husband called May Trucking they no longer had the form on file.

My husband called the doctor in Idaho that performed the physical for Sage and got a copy of the card so that the long form and the card would match.

My husband went in on day two for a quick physical and drug test at the end of the day two oreintation.

He did a road test and it was a breeze for him. He tested out in a Kennworth which he had been driving a Kennworth for Davis Transport previously. He said it was the easiest driving test he has ever taken.

At the end of day two my husband was told to bring his things to outfit his truck on Day 3 of oreintation.

Day 3 Friday December 29, 2008

My husband's truck was not ready! It had not been detailed. They finished up test, log book reveiw and all the typical oreintation stuff.

They told my husband he would not get his first load until January 2, 2008 because of the New Year holiday and that he could go in on Monday to outfit his truck.

Monday when got there his truck was still not detailed yet he told them just to vacume it out and wipe down the inside and he would call it good.

He has a Kennworth with 385,000 miles I am uncertain of the year. He can stand in his cab but he said it does not have much storage space. He said the sleeper is about as big as his last sleeper minus the storage space. He does not have a place to put the ladder on his truck. He was told to call in on Wednesday morning to see if there was a load.

Wednesday January 2, 2008

This morning my husband just went in because he needed a couple locks and things ckecked out. He got his first load today from Spokane to Seattle. He did not pick up until the afternoon. He said there was another System Transport driver there picking up also. He gave him a hand and a few pointers regarding the tri-axle trailer. The place he is going to deliver to is right on the docks. He stopped this evening in Ellensburg Washington as they were requiring chains over the pass and it was already dark. He will get up in the morning and continue with his delivery.

This trip is 280 miles with $30.00 drop and pick up pay.

One bummer is that System Transport pays every two weeks and it will take getting use to. Plus our last check from Davis Transport was on December 21st and the last two weeks with Davis were not high miles as I think they wanted to keep the drivers close to Missoula for the switch. Our next check will not be until January 18, 2008 :cry:

The timing of my working through the temporary agency at the County Auditor's office for those three weeks was just perfect. The assignment is complete and I will be talking with them tomorrow when I go into pick up my check and see if there is anything coming up soon.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 01-03-2008, 05:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottsATruckin
I wish you all the best of luck in your new adventure, I have an acquaintance who is an O/O for System, he has a cabover and lives in Spokane and has told me he is quite happy with them, it’s not uncommon for me to see his truck as I drive by his home, he says he gets good miles and home time.
I had considered them once but for whatever reason chose my current company, my wifes boss was a dispatcher for System for 12 years and says it’s a good company to drive for, So will GFI be getting one of those comfy new Eagles they have?
Thank you Rotts! My husband also has a friend that is an O/O with System Transport he use to work for JJ Williams and was actually the one who talked us into trucking.

Do you ever see the Sage trucks on the I-90? Every time I see one I think about how long ago it was since those days! How long do you have in now Rotts? I know time sure does fly!

Keep in touch!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 01-03-2008, 05:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by married to the road
I drive a flatbed and things are slow right now. One of our drivers said he was leaving for system transport because they guaranteed him 12,000 miles a month pulling a flatbed.(not sure what division,probably otr-all 48) It sounds like a good company. Good luck!
Welcome married to the road!

It is probably is otr all 48. That division usually will pay less but get more miles. What company do you work for? How bad is the miles for flatbed? I know I heard it gets bad but last year Davis Transport kept my husband moving even through the winter months. That was a nice surprise for us.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 01-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: As the Wheels turn with Goin Fer It and Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Fer It
With less than two months experience and only three weeks solo, having two non preventables on his record things did not look good for him.
you meant 2 preventables right?

anyway good luck,sounds like a good company.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: As the Wheels turn with Goin Fer It and Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Fer It
With less than two months experience and only three weeks solo, having two non preventables on his record things did not look good for him.
you meant 2 preventables right?

anyway good luck,sounds like a good company.
ops: ops: Oops your right I guess that must have been wishful thinking on my part. I will fix that! Thank you for the well wishes!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 01-03-2008, 11:24 PM
Board Regular

And the saga continues........(all the best in 2008 to you and GFI !) If he gets down to I-80 here in Reno, I'll be looking for him. I'll be in the Savage Transport tanker (well at least 2 days a week).....