User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I didnt want to start yet another thread for this, so, I hope this is ok.

In one paragragh, this is my experience with Melton Trucklines.

I started with Melton as an experienced van driver with 3+ years of experience. I went thru orientation with four other drivers. On the second day, one driver over slept and missed the bus. He was fired when he called for a ride. Two drivers were going to lease, and another and I were going for company driver positions. We graduate, were issued nice trucks. And dispatched. Drivers were frequently seen hanging at the terminal for 1-2 days waiting for loads. Staff were friendly. But I recieved two illegal dispatches. When I said I couldnt do it, I was forced to take the loads. No reschedules, no relays, no options were given to me to deliver the load safely. We are told we have to match gps from comdata with in 7 mins. The second illegal dispatch, I refused and went home. Pay was not good enough to make me a "Super-Trucker" Melton is not recommended. Tow truck driver told me, he picks up alot of abondoned Melton trucks.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:27 PM

Melton sure must have changed a ton!! I never knew melton to use tow trucks to pick up the abandoned trucks. I always thought they also dispatched at like a 50 mph average. guess they have changed for the worse never thought that would happen.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:22 AM
Rookie
Default I still work for Melton ask away!

Any job is what you make of it. If you have an honest work ethic and do your job, the miles happen. Melton just like most companies is well structured. work safe, stay compliant, be on time, communicate if something doesn't go as planned. Not too hard if you ask me. Any company you go with will expect you to adapt to their culture. I guarantee they will not adapt to your's. After all who's writing the checks.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:48 AM
Rookie
Default this is a total lie!

[quote="csturner"]I didnt want to start yet another thread for this, so, I hope this is ok.

In one paragragh, this is my experience with Melton Trucklines.

I started with Melton as an experienced van driver with 3+ years of experience. I went thru orientation with four other drivers. On the second day, one driver over slept and missed the bus. He was fired when he called for a ride. Two drivers were going to lease, and another and I were going for company driver positions. We graduate, were issued nice trucks. And dispatched. Drivers were frequently seen hanging at the terminal for 1-2 days waiting for loads. Staff were friendly. But I recieved two illegal dispatches. When I said I couldnt do it, I was forced to take the loads. No reschedules, no relays, no options were given to me to deliver the load safely. We are told we have to match gps from comdata with in 7 mins. The second illegal dispatch, I refused and went home. Pay was not good enough to make me a "Super-Trucker" Melton is not recommended. Tow truck driver told me, he picks up alot of abondoned Melton trucks.[/quot

I am a driver with Melton truck Lines as I have been for the past two years. First off when you can't get to a bus on time what do you expect to happen...? You think we can count on that guy to make it to a pick up on time? or a delivery? Fact is...this is flatbed sonny sometimes things we haul get unloaded by cranes and other equipment...EXPENSIVE equipment and you need to be on time. Sorry your buddy couldn't wake up.

I got to the terminal here yesterday, had my truck worked on and had to take it to the dealership for another issue. I picked up my load and now I will leave tomorrow, thats nothing new at any company I have worked for.
One HUGE issue I have with this post is the fact that he was made to take illegal loads...this is a total lie. every load is dispatched based on 50MPH! if it can't get there on time, then safety wont let it go, simple as that. If you ever had an issue call safety simple. some drivers can't handle sleeping or being off 10 hrs and driving 11 but at 50 mph no one should ever have a problem.
Lastly we have a local driver and many of the office personnel have CDL's as they were drivers themselves at one time. We pick up our trucks not tow trucks.
I am wondering if this guy even drove for us at all. Fact is that I had 2600 miles last week and 3200 week before. Fact is we ARE the BEST Flatbed company out there we have a 97% on time rating! beat that TMC...if they can get out of safety hell!
Melton is a great company and after 2 yrs I am making WAY more than a lot of company drivers out there! If anyone wants any more questions asked about this company feel free to ask!
Old 01-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Rookie
Default Melton truck lines

Hiya Mark the trucker glad to see your post iam also in Flatbed with Tandem Transport outa Michigan cty,In.but i run out of the Savannah,Ga. Terminal.
I've been off few weeks nursing my left hand due to Carpul Tunnel Surgery which is doing fine and going back on the road Monday 01/21/08
gonna give it a few more weeks for hand too heal good and prolly will call Melton again to setup an orientation time for me.
One thing i've always told new drivers out there that there is no one company thats better or worse than the other its what the driver wants to deal with on a daily basis.
Thanks for your Comments and Good Luck to you in the coming year

Scooter
Old 01-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Rookie
Default Re: Melton truck lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter421
Hiya Mark the trucker glad to see your post iam also in Flatbed with Tandem Transport outa Michigan cty,In.but i run out of the Savannah,Ga. Terminal.
I've been off few weeks nursing my left hand due to Carpul Tunnel Surgery which is doing fine and going back on the road Monday 01/21/08
gonna give it a few more weeks for hand too heal good and prolly will call Melton again to setup an orientation time for me.
One thing i've always told new drivers out there that there is no one company thats better or worse than the other its what the driver wants to deal with on a daily basis.
Thanks for your Comments and Good Luck to you in the coming year

Scooter
No problem man, Good luck with that hand. I was just in ATL for a few days doing some fishing all around that area! love GA fishing they are one of the cheapest states in the country and so much fun. Ya we have a terminal in Birmingham AL and those guys are really cool ppl! That's a really nice terminal! Good luck and Hope you get aboard soon!
Old 01-25-2008, 04:21 PM
Rookie

Can any of you tell me how often you are paid at Melton? I was going to ask my recruiter today, but I havnt been able to get ahold of her yet. Im between jobs and didnt really want to go back otr, but I have to pay the bills, so I figured I would go flat bed and make a little more money than I did driving van. Oh yeah, one more thing, do your trucks already have invertors installed in them? The recruiter wasnt too sure on this one for some reason. Thanks in advance for your answers.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Rookie

You are looking at going to a company where the recruiters don't answer the phone. Does dispatch?
Old 01-25-2008, 11:28 PM
Rookie

No, no, no. I can talk to another recruiter if I want to, but I dont. I have my recruiters direct extension and it kept going to voice mail, but I finally got hold of her today.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:46 AM
Rookie

We get paid every two weeks. and yes we have 1500w inverters in the trucks.