User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2008, 05:50 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Getting into flatbed, Falcon Transport or LJ Kennedy?

Been with Schneider for 10+ years, some as a company driver, last few years as an O/O. Fuel prices are making this job quite painful, so I'll probably go back as a company driver somewhere.

I'm really interested in flatbeds. As long as I can find a place where I'm home on the weekends, make $1000+, and have good medical benefits, I'm happy. I've been reading as much as I can on these and other boards. LJ Kennedy and Falcon Transport(terminal 1 mile from where I park my car) all look appealing. Hopefully I can find an outfit with a rider policy for my wife

Any opinions on which would be a better place to start my flatbed career? I live in South Jersey btw. Thanks.

Edit: I did check out Maverick, but they're not hiring in my area
Old 03-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Senior Board Member

If your gonna give up your truck, go with Kennedy. The drivers I have chatted with are happy group of folks..plus they have nicer trucks than does Falcon.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Board Regular

From what I here talking to LJK drivers I run into if you don't come in to the company with steel hauling experience, you won't ever haul any steel for them. This could be good or bad depending on your point of view. Imagine not having to go to Gary or East Chicago in late december. Wow, maybe I should look into that. :roll:
I haven't talked to many Falcon drivers but I see them every day hauling them turnpike double covered wagons. They seem to have some good auto manufacture contracts too from where I see their trucks.
Of course right now that could be bad. I heard on the radio that some plants are laying off because American Axle went on strike and the car makers cannot build cars without axles.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Getting into flatbed, Falcon Transport or LJ Kennedy?

Falcon supposedly gets you home every weekend. If they don't, they pay you extra. I drove for them out of Paulsboro. But I was van. I would recommend talking to them. They have some decent and inexpensive benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatertot
Been with Schneider for 10+ years, some as a company driver, last few years as an O/O. Fuel prices are making this job quite painful, so I'll probably go back as a company driver somewhere.

I'm really interested in flatbeds. As long as I can find a place where I'm home on the weekends, make $1000+, and have good medical benefits, I'm happy. I've been reading as much as I can on these and other boards. LJ Kennedy and Falcon Transport(terminal 1 mile from where I park my car) all look appealing. Hopefully I can find an outfit with a rider policy for my wife

Any opinions on which would be a better place to start my flatbed career? I live in South Jersey btw. Thanks.

Edit: I did check out Maverick, but they're not hiring in my area
"He knew who I was, at that time, because I had a reputation as a writer. I knew he was part of the Bush dynasty. But he was nothing, he offered nothing, and he promised nothing. He had no humor. He was insignificant in every way and consequently I didn't pay much attention to him. But when he passed out in my bathtub, then I noticed him. I'd been in another room, talking to the bright people. I had to have him taken away." -on meeting George W Bush at Thompson's Super Bowl party in Houston in 1974

Buy the ticket. Take the ride.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Rookie

I park at the TA in Paulsboro. If you don't mind me asking, what was your average weekly pay there? Thx.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:40 PM
Board Regular

LJK is a much better overall outfit .
Old 03-23-2008, 03:28 AM

I have to agree, LJK gets paid for everything, spending a night in the truck, tarping, productivity, etc etc.

YES THEY HAUL STEEL. I have seen them load at Nucor in Auburn,NY, Infra Metal in Wallingford,CT and run loads of Griffin Pipe out of Florance NJ, however its far and few between, mainly its drywall, insulation, shingles, etc

I have heard a lot of happy drivers there, and they do make $$. The ones I know, are home on weekends.

I loaded religously with Falcon flats in Lancaster PA, Alcoa. They were getting paid peanuts going to the same places we were, and didnt have the best of equip. Still a lot of tandem trailers, which are rare, and out of date with flat beds. Not to mention they looked like a fixed tandem.

I spoke with tons and tons of Falcon drivers, trainers,etc and most, I felt were very underpaid. BTW, you will see tons of steel and metal with them, and some were not happy with hometime, while others seemed ok.

The trainers that I talked to while loading, seemed decent. To me, if considering those companies, it would be LJK no brainer. Plus, I doubt youll see consistant 1,000 weeks with Falcon. A local who trains for them is still only in the 800 range.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Senior Board Member

I've never worked for either one, but IMO, judging from appearance, the drivers that I have talked to and talking to the companies themselves, it's not even close. I don't think Falcon is even in the same ballpark as LJ Kennedy. That's just my opinion and I'm sure there are plenty of happy drivers at Falcon.