User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtmujica
If you want to make more money for doing the same job stay away from companies like CRST that pay based on split miles. Work for a company that will pay on all miles and then split pay. I know this sounds confusing so I'll give you an example:

Let's say you and your partner average 5000 miles per week.

CRST would split the miles 5000/2 = 2500 x .33 cents per mile = $825 each person for the week.

CFI pays base mileage pay .43 cents per mile to the truck 5000 x .43 cents = $2150 then you divide the pay in 2 which means you will each make $1075.

USX pays base mileage pay .40 cents per mile to the truck 5000 x .40 cents = $2000 then you divide the pay in 2 which means you will each make $1000.

I think you get the idea. You want to find a company that pays mileage to the truck and then divides the pay. Companies like CRST and Schneider who pay off of split miles really screw you. JMO. BOL.
It really is six of one/half dozen of the other in terms of when the pay gets split. The CRST example from above, for instance, would be 5000 x .33 cents = $1650. Then, when the pay is split, it still equals $825 each.

The point of distinction, that you did point out, is .35 vs. .43 vs. .40. Any company that pays a team driver the same mileage rate as a solo is clearly lowballing the driver. Team freight pays more and, as a consequence, team drivers should be paid more.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 12-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Default Re: Thanks Big Jeep on 44's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory_Snow
I hate being lied to or having someone be sneaky, just rubs me the wrong way. .
Then you will quickly learn to hate the trucking industry. Lieing to drivers is the rule, not the exception, wheather it be tellling you there are no loads going the way you want to go, such as home, to the miles you can expect, honest is not a hallmark of trucking companies...then there will be the lie you will get from the shippers and receivers.

Having teamed for one of the companies you are researching, I can tell you not to get your hopes up. My wife and I were unable to get more miles a week then either of us could have run solo. You cannot support two drivers in a truck with the mileage of one.

And trying to sleep. The red Century we drove would beat us to death.

Truth is, once you are out on the road, you will find it is not as pretty a life as the recruiters paint.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay51
Quote:
Then you will quickly learn to hate the trucking industry. Lieing to drivers is the rule, not the exception, wheather it be tellling you there are no loads going the way you want to go, such as home, to the miles you can expect, honest is not a hallmark of trucking companies...then there will be the lie you will get from the shippers and receivers.

Having teamed for one of the companies you are researching, I can tell you not to get your hopes up. My wife and I were unable to get more miles a week then either of us could have run solo. You cannot support two drivers in a truck with the mileage of one.

Truth is, once you are out on the road, you will find it is not as pretty a life as the recruiters paint.

Sounds like you Teamed for USX... :wink:
Old 12-09-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
Quote:
Quote:

Nope, not USX,,,, Try Crete.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
Quote:
Quote:

Nope, not USX,,,, Try Crete.

Oh those red trucks . :lol:
Old 12-11-2007, 12:23 AM
Rookie
Default Thanks

Haven't been in contact with any of the companies we are interrested in due to ice storms here so will try again tomorrow. Finally got our Cell Phone carrier tower back up and running.
Thanks sgtmujica & VitoCorleone99 for the figures, it'll be something to really consider when I start to contact companies.
Thanks Big Jeep on 44's, on the honesty issue, my dad filled me in when I told him how much I hated being lied to and told me to not get my hopes up as well. I'll just have to take it as it comes and deal with it. I know it is going to be tough but I am willing to give it a try. Husband is standing behind my decision 100%.
Dad also told me not to believe anything the recuiters say, that they'll tell you anything just to get bodies to drive the trucks. They are paid commission on the number of people they get to sign on.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:53 PM
Rookie

CRST was bought out by USXpress about a year ago. Plan on getting screwed with either one.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Rookie
Default Thanks

Been hearing that as well from seasoned truckers in our area. We are narrowed down to Schneider and Crete. Schneider isnt hiring in Kansas area at this time but may have openings when we are close to being out of school. Time will tell on that one. Still been talking to the recruiters from the 2 companies though and comparing the two companies. Hopeing to get into the school in January.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:58 AM

I drive team with my husband and we drove for Prime Inc (big mistake there) and Interstate Dist. Co. and we now drive for US Xpress. Anyone can say whatever they want, but we love driving for this company. Now we are not on the regular fleet (don't think we would get a lot of miles there) and we're making good money every week. We don't sit etc. so we LOVE this! My husband drove for Crete and Shaffer for several years, he liked them too, but they are not as good as they used to be. Friend of ours just quit them too because of not enough miles. He could barely get 1500 miles a week. It's a toss up really, because you might love one company and another driver will hate em. You never know until you go there. However, that said if you do hear mainly bad stuff about a company that should be your red flag right there. Good luck to the both of you!!
Old 12-30-2007, 02:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyTulip
I drive team with my husband and we drove for Prime Inc (big mistake there) and Interstate Dist. Co. and we now drive for US Xpress. Anyone can say whatever they want, but we love driving for this company. Now we are not on the regular fleet (don't think we would get a lot of miles there) and we're making good money every week. We don't sit etc. so we LOVE this! My husband drove for Crete and Shaffer for several years, he liked them too, but they are not as good as they used to be. Friend of ours just quit them too because of not enough miles. He could barely get 1500 miles a week. It's a toss up really, because you might love one company and another driver will hate em. You never know until you go there. However, that said if you do hear mainly bad stuff about a company that should be your red flag right there. Good luck to the both of you!!
I judge a acompany on what I can make as a Solo driver in divisions open to everyone not just those who live in a specific hiring are who qualify for a special account . If the company can not provide a decent living to a Solo driver then they are CRAP .