User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 02:17 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default just started training

Just started training about a month ago .Been looking at all post looking for a company to start with . Anyone know if transam is a ok company to train with ?
Old 11-01-2007, 06:11 AM
Senior Board Member

From fairly recent reports posted both here and on some other sites, TransAm has really went downhill as a company.

Depending on where you live you might want to talk to Roehl, Crete, Tyson, Gordon, CFI.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Senior Board Member

I have never really heard bad things about TransAm. That being said, in most cases getting to know your "travel agent" really well and making your face known around a company and putting forth a positive attitude will usually (but not always... there are always exceptions) get you far with any company. Get to know shop personnel, office personnel, and everyone you can in operations. After 20 years experience, that procedure has benefited me greatly. I would avoid any company, that may include TransAm(?), that does not exhibit a family type atmosphere and a positive environment. There are many really good outfits that do and to settle for a company that isn't "user friendly" is not very wise.

The smaller (less than 200 truck) outfits will usually be this way. If you don't get a "good" feeling about a company, take a hike. It is a driver's market and you don't have to settle for scraps. Take the time to shop and talk with more than the recruiters. Talk to the safety director, someone in ops and any other personnel. You will be able to get somewhat of a feel about a company. If you can, talk to any drivers for that company. Phone calls are free to the companies, take advantage of it.

Also, all this being said, you will have to "pay your dues" in trucking. It sometimes takes a while to build a reputation and then things fall into place. Patience has to be a part of your character. There is good opportunites in trucking and they are available to anyone willing to go out and grab them.

Good Luck!!!!
Old 11-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Rookie
Default just started training

thanks for the info
Old 11-02-2007, 07:46 PM
Rookie

Starting driving ,teacher said we'll be lucky to get 10 to 14 hours of drive time because of the # of student's .That dosn't sound alot to me.Is that the norm for school ?
Old 11-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Board Regular

Hey Prov.

That would be alot of seat time for us. I just finished school. Did not go thru company training, we got a total of 5-6 hrs seat time. Some classes even less and we had 8 in our class. Don't know where your going but if your getting that much, God Bless. I don't know about others, just giving you my recent experience.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Senior Board Member

If by "just started Training" you mean you're still in School working on getting your CDL and are looking around for your first company to drive for then your choices may be somewhat limited based on the School you're attending...you should check with your instructors...may times specific schools have established relationships with various "training" companies. Other times, some of these "fly by night" truck driving schools have already gotten themselves on the "no hire" shixlist with some carriers for turning out...shall we say inferior product.

Here's a short list of I'd say "good" starting companies.

USXpress
Roehl
Schnider
Swift
Old 11-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Senior Board Member

5-6, 10-14 hours of seat time is just pathetic. You are in what is called a "CDL mill". I went to SAGE and got 46 hours of drive time with 1-on-1 instruction. You will need a lot of training with the company you go with. Hell, even with 46 hours in school I still need a lot of training. I am with a small company that is providing great training. Does your school provide placemment assistance? Where are you from? If you would let us know we would be able to help you better.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by provocv64
Starting driving ,teacher said we'll be lucky to get 10 to 14 hours of drive time because of the # of student's .That dosn't sound alot to me.Is that the norm for school ?
It's because of this type of school that most companies make a new driver "finish" out with a trainer for a few weeks before cutting them loose on their own. Not ideal... but a fact of life.

I have been finishing new drivers for about a decade now, and I am no longer amazed at the lack of training that the students undergo and are billed way too much. When I have to train a new hire how to shift and do a log book, I know they got ripped off at their school.

There is barely any way that one can discern which schools are cheating them. The only way to decrease the odds is to look for a school that is certified by the Professional Truck Drivers Institute (PTDIA). At least a school that has dealings with the PTDIA is making an attempt at giving a student his/her monies worth. Even then.... a company will have to train them further before assigning them their own ride.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan
5-6, 10-14 hours of seat time is just pathetic. You are in what is called a "CDL mill". I went to SAGE and got 46 hours of drive time with 1-on-1 instruction. You will need a lot of training with the company you go with. Hell, even with 46 hours in school I still need a lot of training. I am with a small company that is providing great training. Does your school provide placemment assistance? Where are you from? If you would let us know we would be able to help you better.
I did a post on the school- NETTTS RI. I think I even mentioned they were a mill. If the seat time your referring to is a total of the entire school then we did get quite a bit of that doing manuevers. But as far as a 1 on 1 on the road, then it was 5-6 hrs. I agree, I will need more training and the company I'm going to be working with will start me on local for 2 weeks before they send with an OTR trainer. I was lucky, it all came pretty natural for me for someone who has never driven T.T.. I saw guys there that didn't belong on a big wheel never mind a T.T. but they were pushing them thru. I even met a guy who had been there a yr. now. Amazing!