User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2007, 01:01 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Super ModeratorSenior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Why would you even volunteer your age? They only need to know that you are at least 21 years of age to run interstate, that's all they need to know. What is the obsession you have with this age discrimination?

Old 10-05-2007, 02:12 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Trucking companies are actively seeking older drivers. They tend to be more reliable and dependable than those who are younger. This is a profession where you can continue to work as long as you can pass the DOT physical. In reading your posts, gbtrucker, I think the problem may be two fold. First, is your location. Some carriers haul more in some areas than others. They will usually not hire in areas where they have little freight, and/or may have difficulty getting you home. You may want to check their freight lanes when you look for a carrier. The second thing I see is your insistence in taking your dog along. Many carriers have no pet policies. They can be a distraction and present a liability for the carrier. In addition, pets can be destructive to company property. Policies differ from one company to another.

Some carriers won't allow passengers. Part of the problem is liability. Some insurance companies have no passenger clauses in their policies. If the driver is involved in an accident and there is a passenger in the truck, then the carrier could be held liable and their insurance may not pay for the damages. There are insurance policies available which cover passengers. More carriers are willing to allow spouses to go along with their husbands or wives as long as there is adequate insurance coverage. In any case, most carriers will not allow you to take a pet or passenger until they feel you can competently do your job. The last thing they want is for you to be involved in an accident. Regardless of your age and experience in other fields, this is a new venture with very different demands. You can always pay for your own schooling and then find a carrier. It would expand your options. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Trucking companies are actively seeking older drivers. They tend to be more reliable and dependable than those who are younger. This is a profession where you can continue to work as long as you can pass the DOT physical. In reading your posts, gbtrucker, I think the problem may be two fold. First, is your location. Some carriers haul more in some areas than others. They will usually not hire in areas where they have little freight, and/or may have difficulty getting you home. You may want to check their freight lanes when you look for a carrier. The second thing I see is your insistence in taking your dog along. Many carriers have no pet policies. They can be a distraction and present a liability for the carrier. In addition, pets can be destructive to company property. Policies differ from one company to another.

Some carriers won't allow passengers. Part of the problem is liability. Some insurance companies have no passenger clauses in their policies. If the driver is involved in an accident and there is a passenger in the truck, then the carrier could be held liable and their insurance may not pay for the damages. There are insurance policies available which cover passengers. More carriers are willing to allow spouses to go along with their husbands or wives as long as there is adequate insurance coverage. In any case, most carriers will not allow you to take a pet or passenger until they feel you can competently do your job. The last thing they want is for you to be involved in an accident. Regardless of your age and experience in other fields, this is a new venture with very different demands. You can always pay for your own schooling and then find a carrier. It would expand your options. Good luck.
Well, I had it going today with Centrail Refregerated and was even told I would start school on Oct 15th and then NOTHING

Last email

I received you application. Give me a few minutes and I'll give you a
call back.

Thanks,
amber

Never heard from her again
Old 10-05-2007, 06:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbtrucker
Quote:

Well, I had it going today with Centrail Refregerated and was even told I would start school on Oct 15th and then NOTHING

Last email

call back.

Thanks,
amber

Give it some time. If you don't hear back by tomorrow afternoon, call her. Most recruiters can get pretty busy and are notorious for not calling back right away or even the same day. Keep in mind that the starter companies probably deal with hundreds of applicants each week.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:24 PM

First Thank GMAN for his input, you are right about that. I understand what you are saying about Liability and dogs tearing up the truck. My little 8 lb 10 year old Yorkie is way over that stage but the company does not know that. So I can take my wife and leave the dog home along for two weeks at a time. That really messes up the plan we had when we entered into this project.

SO I said Oct 4th

Well, I had it going today with Central Refregerated and was even told I would start school on Oct 15th and then NOTHING

Last email

call back.

Thanks,
amber

Never heard from her again[/quote]

Give it some time. If you don't hear back by tomorrow afternoon, call her. Most recruiters can get pretty busy and are notorious for not calling back right away or even the same day. Keep in mind that the starter companies probably deal with hundreds of applicants each week.[/quote]

Yes I think you are right about that. I will give it till monday if I don't get called back and I will plan on going to school starting the 15th. I mean if she told me on the phone that after asking me when I wanted to start that should be good. I grew up in the days when you could walk into the bank and talk to your banker about buying a new car at Jim Snow Ford where my neighbor worked and get the terms sealed with a hand shake and the bank would just call over and tell them I was coming over to get that car.

You mean it is not like that now.
GEE WIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzz

Also I been doing alot of Googling about the company and have found more than I wanted to know. alot of negative stuff I need to check in. I can't even find the Cents Per Mile on their web site and hauling groceries is not the best thing I hear. Too much breakdown time and they don't pay anything for it. I used to think breakdown time was when the truck broke down. No lumber pay. Ok that means they don't haul lumber
smile

Question: If I bought my own truck can I operate it with my regular Lic if I am not hauling freight and the trailer is empty. I have seen some with "Private Truck" sign on it, especially one at the last campground the guy used to haul his 5th wheel. May have to do that to get into this project.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbtrucker
Quote:

Last email

call back.

Thanks,
amber

Give it some time. If you don't hear back by tomorrow afternoon, call her. Most recruiters can get pretty busy and are notorious for not calling back right away or even the same day. Keep in mind that the starter companies probably deal with hundreds of applicants each week.
Still have not heard from her and I sent a nice email couple hours ago.
I would hate to think I wasted my time again and she just told me all that nice BS and to fill the app out just to get rid of me and off the phone after the AGE thing came up. Why can't they just say your Too F*****g old and leave it at that. I have filled out about 12 apps in the last two weeks.

Got three emails and one phone call from Melton Trucking but I know they didn't see the part about I needing training on the app from layover.com so I sent them a nice email thanking them and told them the facts. Also asked them if their was a way we could work out a training deal and I pay them back during my first year with them.

Another is Sherman Bros
Nice equipment and a family owned company, They advertise training and have good rider and pet policy.

Moving right along.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:40 AM

The suspence was killing me so I called this afternoon

Amber had been busy yesterday with an employee issue she said

Everything OK and School set for Oct 15th
She said she will set me up with a bus ticket to Riverside.
I said I was driving down to my Son's who lives 14 miles from the school.
She asked if I was staying at my Son's and I said no I would rather stay at the Red Tile Inn close to the school.
My wife will be at my Son's for awhile and then down to Lakewood to the daughters.
Not sure how we are going to do all this especially when I leave out with a Trainer for 4 weeks because my wife can hardly drive due to feet problems. Just leave her food and she is OK watching the Soaps.
Out with trainer I get paid 425.00 first two weeks and 500.00 last two weeks. I think that is great.

I called the Inn to get more info than I saw online.
And the Inn has free wireless and free breakfast.
two to a room.

School ran by the same company that does it for SWift
Truck Driving Academy of Sacramento, Ca
The same owner of Swift owns Central Refrigerated but different board members I hear.Bought out Dick Simon. He was a Board member of Dick Simon Trucking and as it was going into BK Chap 10 I guess he bought it out. So I already know what to expect so I am ready for it and if I had to bail out or didn't make the grade I am not way back in WI like I almost was come Oct 22nd.

I could of started next monday but I told Amber about the Dr appt and my BP was high checking at Wallmart and wanted to make sure that was not an issue before I came to school. She said that was a good move and if my BP is high to have the Dr give my a prescription for some fast acting stuff and tell him I do not have weeks to wait. She will contact me later next week. She was going to send me a school outline and more info.

I will be golfing with my buddy from Utah on friday because he is coming down Wed for a Triumph Car Show across the river in laughlin.

Has anybody here gone to that school in Riverside on 647 Main St?

I been getting my stuff together for two weeks anyway, My iPod is loaded with over 1000 songs and still room for all of my wifes country collection if I wanted to put hers in it too.

Drive For Food! Yep I will be driving Food around so if I break down I will not starve.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Gbtrucker, glad to hear it worked out and you are on your way. Central is a decent company and most drivers I talk to like driving there. They also have a fair amount of dedicated positions that new drivers can get right out of training. Their starting pay of .29 cpm is average and there are some that pay less. But for a starter company I think they will work fine for you.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:03 PM

Age descrimintation would surprise me a bit. DeBoer doesn't hire fat people either. I have the emails that say so. They won't hire you if your BMI is over 40% and to top it of you will be stuck at there terminal to find your one way home according to one guy I spoke with.
BMI is the worst indication of fitness ever devised to top it off. I'm not even that heavy but I'm big and strong, ex football player, construction worker type. I'm sure not fit either though.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
Age descrimintation would surprise me a bit. DeBoer doesn't hire fat people either. I have the emails that say so. They won't hire you if your BMI is over 40%
Really would you care to share them???. I am going to work for Deboer starting the 13th. I have already had my physical and Pee test right here in Marquette Mi Where I live. And there was no BMI taken!!!! Plus I am taking my dog with me as soon as I get my paperwork and driving test over with because Of already having my physical and pee test done here via Deboer.They have been nothing but upfront with me during the whole process. But then again I have 25 + years experience behind me also. The only bummer is having to driver the 250 miles one way home during home time. Because it seems not alot of companies get up into this area. And the ones that do. Do not allow pets. So that is there loss not mine.