User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2007, 05:25 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I live in San Antonio, "Gateway to mexico" and "home of the minimum wage."
Schneider said they will only hire teams from here.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:04 PM

Take a drive down to Phoenix or Vegas and get a PO Box, one that will forward your mail, and then start listing that on your apps. If you have friends that will let you use their address even better.The bottom line is you live in a crappy location for companies to recruit from. Plain and simple. I know for a fact(friend of mine trying to get hired) that Schneider isn't hiring in Austin. Austin, TX. You know the big state capital located on the Trans Tex I-35 corridor Nafta Superhighway. But no, Schneider ain't hiring. Go figure. That said, every other tom dick and harry trucking company deluges my phone all week.[/quote]

Ok on that Greg.
I gotta Lighten Up on this anyway and go with the flow.

I have an old friend Bill up in Moussola MT now who has had a TRucking Trailer repair Biz for years. I think he has turned it over to his son LeRoy
Last name Martin, I Went to a big trucking show with him one day and was amazed at all the goodies I saw. Then I said someday I am going to do this and I will. It may just take more effort on my part to do it.

I wonder how much that new deal with the super highway and Nafta will hurt the american truckers or will it do them any good, Did that come about because of Pres Bush's Good friend in Mexico?

Thanks all for your input on this.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:55 PM
Board Regular

$3900.00 for Fox Valley Tech??? Do yourself a favor contact the school yourself and ask for info on the program also ask for housing info or hotels that you can stay at for the 10 week course. Last time I checked into the cost there which was late last year or early this year it was $2000.00 for the course and would not be an additional $2000.00 for rent.

You have access to the internet obviously so check with the school on your own. It's not a CDL mill that caters to one company and if you go there it's accepted by Crete and Gordon along with about any company you'd want to drive for. It's a state run TECH COLLEGE not just a CDL SCHOOL!!!
Old 10-04-2007, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper
$3900.00 for Fox Valley Tech??? Do yourself a favor contact the school yourself and ask for info on the program also ask for housing info or hotels that you can stay at for the 10 week course. Last time I checked into the cost there which was late last year or early this year it was $2000.00 for the course and would not be an additional $2000.00 for rent.

You have access to the internet obviously so check with the school on your own. It's not a CDL mill that caters to one company and if you go there it's accepted by Crete and Gordon along with about any company you'd want to drive for. It's a state run TECH COLLEGE not just a CDL SCHOOL!!!
I called the school two days ago and was transferred to someone who was doing the course that could answer my questions. I left a message and have not heard from them in two days. I was told the course cost little over 1000.00 for 10 weeks and 750.00 for 4 weeks. DeBore could not even give me a course outline but said they touch on most all the same things the school does and they have their own 4 week class at the same school like a partner ship.

Anyway today two ads in local paper. One for Central refrigerated that will provide complete training and has rider and pet policy and Heartland Express that says they opened up a new division here in this area but does not provide training. Guarantee Home Time each weekend. There is a New Heartland truck parks right across the street each weekend but I keep missing the driver so have not been able to talk to him
I have email into each company telling them I am interested and where I live. Did not give my age,

I also have email into Sage Schools up the road in KingMan AZ for info on the school and how to pay for it, or how can you hook me up with Heartland Express and work something out for both of us.
I have not given up by all means.

Thanks
Old 10-04-2007, 01:44 AM
Senior Board Member

I believe Heartland requires 1 year of experience.

Central Refer would be a decent company to get started with. They push their lease program, although not as hard as some others, but I know a couple of their drivers and they seem pretty happy there. Nice thing about refer is you can run refer and dry loads, so refer drivers usually don't feel any type of slow down like dry van drivers do.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
I believe Heartland requires 1 year of experience.

Central Refer would be a decent company to get started with. They push their lease program, although not as hard as some others, but I know a couple of their drivers and they seem pretty happy there. Nice thing about refer is you can run refer and dry loads, so refer drivers usually don't feel any type of slow down like dry van drivers do.
Yes you are right Gregg
Heartland requires some exp and I am trying to get them to pay for my training and then pay them back. I like the new program they have out here. Home time every weekend.
Fact the Heartland truck is out there parked now so I guess he had a short run as he left sunday nite late or early Mon morning before I walked my dog

Who are you driving for Gregg?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2007, 01:55 AM

Well i will ad my opinion...

I graduated fro FVTC (Fox Valley Tech College) in Appleton ,WI back is feb 06

I went to the ten week program... (nov-feb.)

I LOVED it, i drove all different trucks, trannys and everything in between. The instructors are top notch....

The course was $1680 + about $200 for random license & DMV fees

so about $1900 total for 10 weeks.

If you find the right starter company, they will reimburse you for the tuition. +1

If you have any question just ask.....
Old 10-04-2007, 02:46 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Super ModeratorSenior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbtrucker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoe
Call Schneider National up and talk to a different recruiter. Tell them that you are moving to Los Angeles in one week and inquire as to if they will hire you once you move there.

Schneider has always been a company that has gone overboard to comply with EEOC hiring guidelines.
Sorry but you can't prove that to me

They did a number on me and I can prove it.

Maybe there is a age where they stop being nice.

I sent my message to them so they know I am not one to get shoved away lightly.

Now we will see the response

Sure I will tell them I am moving to I 15 and will be at all the truck stops. Which one you want me at.

When I worked for the Govt I uncovered Computer Fraud and put people in jail. To me this is just another assignment.

Sorry that you don't like the message but that doesn't make it less true. I worked for them for 2 years in dispatch and recruiting and before being allowed to recruit for them I had to attend several classes in Green Bay regarding EEOC laws and compliance. They even had all the recruiters turn in a log of everyone that they spoke to each week. The log contained information regarding the gender and ethnicity of all contacts for that week, totally anonymous, no names. Once they collected all that data that would produce a report as to the percentage of hiring in relation to the percentage of contacts. They would then volunteer this information to the EEOC to show that they were making much more than a good faith effort to uphold fair hiring practices.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbtrucker
Quote:
Call Schneider National up and talk to a different recruiter. Tell them that you are moving to Los Angeles in one week and inquire as to if they will hire you once you move there.

Schneider has always been a company that has gone overboard to comply with EEOC hiring guidelines.
Sorry but you can't prove that to me

They did a number on me and I can prove it.

Maybe there is a age where they stop being nice.

I sent my message to them so they know I am not one to get shoved away lightly.

Now we will see the response

Sure I will tell them I am moving to I 15 and will be at all the truck stops. Which one you want me at.

When I worked for the Govt I uncovered Computer Fraud and put people in jail. To me this is just another assignment.

Sorry that you don't like the message but that doesn't make it less true. I worked for them for 2 years in dispatch and recruiting and before being allowed to recruit for them I had to attend several classes in Green Bay regarding EEOC laws and compliance. They even had all the recruiters turn in a log of everyone that they spoke to each week. The log contained information regarding the gender and ethnicity of all contacts for that week, totally anonymous, no names. Once they collected all that data that would produce a report as to the percentage of hiring in relation to the percentage of contacts. They would then volunteer this information to the EEOC to show that they were making much more than a good faith effort to uphold fair hiring practices.
Well it is sad to know the system does not work.
They went out of their way to make it impossible to get hired
and I never even got to the point of telling them I didn't have a CDL yet.
Just feeling them out to find out if the descriminate against someone 65 yrs old.

Don't matter, I will get my CDL and I will get my loads.

Also looking into being a Broker but so far they all want exp and want you to come in with a customer base so they can make money off your back.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:19 PM

[quote="Scoe"][quote="gbtrucker"]
Quote:

Yesterday I sent email to two of the recruiters of centrail refrigerated because last week the one I sent to didn't answer. Today I sent it to all 14 of them and 4 emails bounced back but I got 3 replys back and after talking to Amber discussing the age thing I had to bring up, We discussed most everything I had on my list and she said I could start school on Oct 15th but I had to get the On-line App completed.

I submitted the whole online app minutes later.(I am getting good at that part) She sent email telling me she will call in a bit. That was over an hour ago. So we will see. MY DMV is perfect so nothing should hold me back.

They pay for the school and then match my payment back at 25 bucks a week till only 1200 is owed and then they pay that off. The schoolis only 13 miles from my Son's house in Riverside CA

School is 2 1/2 weeks and then 4 weeks with company driver. They pay
425.00 first two weeks and 500.00 last two weeks while out with company driver and then if everything is OK you get my almost new Volvo truck. Seems like a Short School at only 2.5 weeks.

No Pet Policy as the web site says. That ended months ago. They need a web master to update the web site. I can do that too.

This may work.

Does anybody here know how they are to work for? Their trucks sure look nice and clean but being refrigerated I would think that is a good thing.