User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Knight Trans

Hi guys
I've been reading alot of your posts on Knight Trans and iam really looking into going back too Box Van because since i've been back into trucking otr for past 2 yrs in Flatbad its the samething once you start its great Milege but seems after your there awhile it all goes too hell quick iam with Tandem Transport outa Michigan cty,In rt now but iam here now sitting at home waiting for a load first time thats happened not count last week out all weekend and last Monday i sit for 10hrs at shipper in Ky. waiting for what turned out too be a load with no Info. and was Tandems screwup and was told no compensation.so iam asking would i be better off going back too Box Van maybe with Knight Trans. Than too lose out of 1200mi in past 2 weeks?
Oh iam out of Central Fl. 1hr from Lakeland Terminal.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Would you be better off going back to dry van? Hard question to answer. Dry vans have their ups and downs too, but if you do go back Knight would be one of the better choices out there.

I can tell you one thing, it is rare with them to sit for very long without a load assignment, and if you end up sitting for more than a couple of hours while getting loaded or unloaded you get paid for it. If needed Knight is not against deadheading you a few hundred miles to keep you loaded and moving. While I worked there I had deadheads from Las Vegas to LA, Phoenix to LA, and from Lakewood to Atlanta in order to be kept busy.

In the end though, only you can really answer the question of where you will be better off and happier at.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Rookie
Default Knight Trans

Thx Uturn i was just unsure when i saw some posts this one guy did on Knight out of Fl about not many miles being ill be out of lakeland.
I like too get as many Mi. as possible and iam more tolerable of things than most ppl and i've given this company many opportunities too give me what i want but seems things aren't going too happen here.
I also forgot to Mention iam Retired so iam getting a chk every month so thats why i tolerate more than other drivers do,but i do have my limitations too.

Thx for you reply Scooter
Old 10-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Rookie
Default Knight Florida

Just a follow up on your Knight question. I have experience with the Florida terminal, and it isn't very good. My last paycheck was @ $450.00 for the entire week. Hey, it even started with a great run over 900 miles(very Rare occurence) They can't seem to get it together there. I spent most of my time begging for loads and miles, got lots of promises but they don't pay the bills. I like the company, but if I were you I would really think twice about them right now. The had most of their dispatchers quit in july-aug, and now can't seem to get any one to stay. I never turned down loads, ran hard as I could so the theory of not doing the job does not come into play here. I had to wait 4 weeks for layover pay, almost two weeks to get reimbursed for tolls $52.00 out of my pocket. You should really think twice about the Florida Terminal.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:32 PM
Rookie
Default knight trans

I worked out of the Columbus,Ohio terminal and the miles there are not very good either. I also and the same problem with getting what was owed to me. I agree that Knight is a good company with alot of good points but if you can't make any money all the other points don't matter.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:50 AM
Rookie

I currently drive for the refigerated division at Knight and I have to say it is the worst refrigerated company I have ever driven for. Load planners book loads less than 300 miles with 2 or 3 drops on them, my daily per mile average over the past 2 months has been just under 400 miles. THAT is PATHETIC for a refer company. Just this week I was on a 1700 mile load that had a delivery date set for 6 days after I picked it up, dispatch said the appt could not be moved up, and they would not allow me to drop the load at ANY of our terminals. when I deliverd it today the recvr told me that no one from Knight ever called to reset the appt. Dispatch management seems to be non exsistant as I have yet to find anyone in this company to actually listen to my complaint of pathetic miles and my dispatcher that obviously has no idea what he is doing. Recently there have been an incredible number of drivers quitting, like rats running from a sinking ship. Still with drivers leaving left and right there seems to be no concern by management. None of my complaints have been addressed, and the incredible lack of miles seems to have no end in sight. I take very little time off 2 or 3 days each month and I'm very tired of holding down the asphalt in parking lots.

I would consider most any other company over Knight... on a scale of 1 to 10 I give Knight a 2 only because they have daily pay. And even on the payroll you have to go over your settlements very closely, as they tend to nickel and dime the drivers to death...

I put in my notice last week and as of today no one has asked me why I am leaving. Its as if they have no concern or regard for any attempt to retain a veteran driver. Maybe they think I was just kidding...
Old 10-05-2007, 05:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Ok, I just came back to Knight. I worked here for a few yrs and a couple of month back my old dispatcher with Werner called me begging me to come back and offered me a so called "Sweet" dedicated run. Well, it was junk. So here I am back with Knight. Knight is a good company. Do they have theri problems?? Sure they do, just like any other company. Each of their terminals runs kind of like their own little company. I run out of the Indianapolis Indiana terminal. When I was here last time I never once seen a week under 2700 miles. How well you will run just depends on what terminal you run out of. They just bought out a company in Phoenix called Roads West. That is how they got their refrigerated division. It is a fairly new division. They have only had it a couple of yrs. It will get better but right now it is not that great.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman932003
Ok, I just came back to Knight. I worked here for a few yrs and a couple of month back my old dispatcher with Werner called me begging me to come back and offered me a so called "Sweet" dedicated run. Well, it was junk. So here I am back with Knight. Knight is a good company. Do they have theri problems?? Sure they do, just like any other company. Each of their terminals runs kind of like their own little company. I run out of the Indianapolis Indiana terminal. When I was here last time I never once seen a week under 2700 miles. How well you will run just depends on what terminal you run out of. They just bought out a company in Phoenix called Roads West. That is how they got their refrigerated division. It is a fairly new division. They have only had it a couple of yrs. It will get better but right now it is not that great.
LMAO...!!!!

2700 miles a week is poverty level trucking...

Once you take your taxes and road expenses out of that you are looking at a $600-$700 net paycheck, possibly less. Any decent driver can make that driving a dump truck and be home everynight and on weekends. I guess if that is the kind of pay you are looking for in compensation for sacrificing being away from family, friends etc. then you could be happy with Knight.

But I would say if you want to make a real paycheck so that you can justify to yourself and your family why you're never at home, there are much better opportunities for drivers than Knight.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:43 PM
Rookie

furthermore... dispatch tends to falsify the truth a little too much...
Old 10-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Senior Board Member

I had heard Knight was pretty good. We (my wife and I are a team) had thought about coming over but they don't allow dogs and we have a little Jack. I assume you all are talking solo? Is the team OTR any different?