User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2007, 04:50 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Well I had to ask ,because trucker slang was slow study for me as I almost never turned on my CB ...Heck it took me 1.5 yrs before I knew what a "COMMERCIAL" was ... :lol:
Old 10-06-2007, 04:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
A Druck is a Drunk Duck.
quack, quack
Old 10-06-2007, 04:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman932003
Ok, I just came back to Knight. I worked here for a few yrs and a couple of month back my old dispatcher with Werner called me begging me to come back and offered me a so called "Sweet" dedicated run. Well, it was junk. So here I am back with Knight. Knight is a good company. Do they have theri problems?? Sure they do, just like any other company. Each of their terminals runs kind of like their own little company. I run out of the Indianapolis Indiana terminal. When I was here last time I never once seen a week under 2700 miles. How well you will run just depends on what terminal you run out of. They just bought out a company in Phoenix called Roads West. That is how they got their refrigerated division. It is a fairly new division. They have only had it a couple of yrs. It will get better but right now it is not that great.
LMAO...!!!!

2700 miles a week is poverty level trucking...

Once you take your taxes and road expenses out of that you are looking at a $600-$700 net paycheck, possibly less. Any decent driver can make that driving a dump truck and be home everynight and on weekends. I guess if that is the kind of pay you are looking for in compensation for sacrificing being away from family, friends etc. then you could be happy with Knight.

But I would say if you want to make a real paycheck so that you can justify to yourself and your family why you're never at home, there are much better opportunities for drivers than Knight.

You can't just make a statement like this ,and not back it up with a few realistic companies a driver could go with to illustrate your point .
TMC. My first year I am on course for making $55K to $60K despite moving to the Line Haul Division where I work harder for a little less pay, but I'm home every weekend.

Maverick. Never worked for them, just read their website and the post on CAD.

Superior. Same as Maverick.

Those are three right of the top of my head. I have only had experience with one of them and I am happy there. Only those drivers with self imposed limitations cannot succeed. If you are revenue orriented there are many companies you can make around $60,000.00 your first year. If you are a felon, druck, drugie, have to be home or idle, take your pet, your girlfriend, want to run only during daylight or work in only one segment you may have to settle on one of the companies that do not pay as well.

Was at the TMC site ,But couldn't find a CPM pay rate on it...Could you enlighten me as to what that is .
Old 10-06-2007, 05:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
="BIG JEEP on 44's Was at the TMC site ,But couldn't find a CPM pay rate on it...Could you enlighten me as to what that is .
Indeed I could. I would have to look it up myself. TMC pays either percentage or mileage. I'm on percentage, which the general consensus is, pays better. You can change twice per year. Some use a strategy of percentage during most of the year and switching to mileage during the months that it slows down. I will go to TMC's website, later, tomorrow, and try to download the two different pay options. It is in the "members only" section which you don't have access to.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Every company has its benefits and its dis-advantages. You should look at more than the CPM. The cpm is not the only thing that I need. Is there companies out there that pay better, yes. But, I have not found a company out there that treats their driver better than Knight. But then again. there could be one that is better. I just know my experience with Knight and I like them. That is all that matters.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Every company has its benefits and its dis-advantages. You should look at more than the CPM. The cpm is not the only thing that I need. Is there companies out there that pay better, yes. But, I have not found a company out there that treats their driver better than Knight. But then again. there could be one that is better. I just know my experience with Knight and I like them. That is all that matters.
This is true and I was not trying to hijack this thread. If anyone wants
information on TMC, take it to the TMC thread. Same for Maverick and Superior. I was only responding to a direct question. I have very limited experience, with TMC , in my truck for the last seven months. I have no experience with any other company other than what I read here.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Senior Board Member

No way! You mean there is a TMC thread?
Old 10-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

I would like to be treated well ,and paid well ...paid well to me starts at 45k per year with ability to earn more if I want to run . So this requires a decent CPM 38-45 cpm and decent trips ,and enough of those trips to add up to no less than 2500 miles a week I would like to see 3000+ , And from what i've seen flat bed has much longer lengh of haul than refer of dry van . being treated well means jack if in struggling to make 30 k a year after 2-3 years with a company .
Old 10-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Rookie
Default Knight

Well i didnt mean too get all this started just asking info on knight hehe.
But i like it and yes i do consider 2700mi good enough for me.as for dump truck did it in the late 70's it sucked bigtime your up at 300am too get to somewhere close too front of line and dont get home till dark so no thanks hard way too make a living if you ask me.
If and when i decide too make my move from Flatbed wont be too another one because all the shiny black and Chrome wont get you home as they say.
So iam saying Knight will be my best choice for me.because i prolly tolerate alot more than most you people out there thats what happens when you get old you tend too mellow out.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
Quote:

I would like to be treated well ,and paid well ...paid well to me starts at 45k per year with ability to earn more if I want to run . So this requires a decent CPM 38-45 cpm and decent trips ,and enough of those trips to add up to no less than 2500 miles a week I would like to see 3000+ , And from what i've seen flat bed has much longer lengh of haul than refer of dry van . being treated well means jack if in struggling to make 30 k a year after 2-3 years with a company .
Knight uses the sliding scale. I know some drivers do not like this but I happen to think that it works out good. I don't have the actual pay scale in front of me so I will have to go dig through all my papers to let you know what it is. The average length of haul for Knight is right at 800 miles. Most of my trips were over 1100 miles. This trip I have now is 1220 miles. Knight has a company policy that all driver must drive no less than 2500 a week. At least that is what the Indy terminal does. The dispatchers get a bonus for the miles they dispatch. So, the more miles they give their driver the more money they make. My last year with Knight before I left I made 46K for the year. Plus with Knight I am not forced dispatch. They run me where I like to run and keep me moving.