User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007, 04:28 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB JR.
All the BS you're going to be putting up with in OTR trucking just isn't worth it at that age guys. Watkins likes to keep you busy and the idea of it being a scenic picnic will wear off very quickly. You'll become tired of being treated like crap very quickly from low-life dock workers and truckers after all you've guys been through over the years. Take mine and others advice... take the last quarter of your life and enjoy it with just a simple side job to pay the bills. OTR trucking is nothing like going out RV'ing. Read the Davis flatbed thread for example.
The kid just don't understand
We are doing this because we want to.
I don't need a job
My retirement is probably as much as you first year drivers will make
I don't have to even get up in the morning but I do to run my little internet business that I do for fun. Just wish I could sell a million of my plans on CD that cost me 35 cents to burn and get from 9.95 to 19.95 each.

When out trucking my orders will come in on my Blackberry and I will just have the wife back home drop them into the mail for me.

My goal is to have my own truck and pick up loads off the load board and drive couple three weeks a month or till I wanna go play Golf.
Build a custom home on my Golf course lot with the extra money I make trucking.

Then retire for the 4th time.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:31 AM

Quote:
All the BS you're going to be putting up with in OTR trucking just isn't worth it at that age guys. Watkins likes to keep you busy and the idea of it being a scenic picnic will wear off very quickly. You'll become tired of being treated like crap very quickly from low-life dock workers and truckers after all you've guys been through over the years. Take mine and others advice... take the last quarter of your life and enjoy it with just a simple side job to pay the bills. OTR trucking is nothing like going out RV'ing. Read the Davis flatbed thread for example.
I forgot to add, My RV is paid for and it costs 1 1/2 times what a new greightliner cost new
Old 10-08-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
This youngster (58) just Faxed the long app in saturday. It was between CFI & W/S both sound real good but i chose W/S cause of the mountain / winter training . And I'll be waiting for the Nov class to start. It will give me more time to make sure everything is taken care here at the house / Gardner and whatever :? Well good luck to you
I just filled out my on-line application after I talked to Bobbie at Watkins and Shepard. I love snow as long as I don't have to play in it and getting a MT Lic lets you get a Mont Elk permit

An old friend of mine lives in Missoula, MT and last heard had a truck/trailer repair business for broken down trailers on the road.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:30 AM

I like how you make it sound like Watkins will just let you work when you want to work. :roll: Have at that 30 cpm Mr. Big bucks. When you're in Utah on a 90 degree day with 10 stops of furniture you must tailgate to the back of the trailer dont forget about filling those orders on your blackberry. You Newbs F'in amaze me.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I like how you make it sound like Watkins will just let you work when you want to work. :roll: Have at that 30 cpm Mr. Big bucks. When you're in Utah on a 90 degree day with 10 stops of furniture you must tailgate to the back of the trailer dont forget about filling those orders on your blackberry. You Newbs F'in amaze me.
Really? They Do

That is great. Probably let everybody take couple weeks off to get their Elk.
What a great company.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbtrucker
Quote:
Really? They Do

What a great company.
He has a valid point in that their drivers do a lot of the unloading(at least to the tailgate) of heavy furniture.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:17 AM

Watkins/Shepard expects their new drivers to drive 10,000 miles a month or more and get up to averaging 12,000 miles a month with experience.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbtrucker
Quote:
Really? They Do

What a great company.
He has a valid point in that their drivers do a lot of the unloading(at least to the tailgate) of heavy furniture.
Yes they do haul some of that but not on a flatbed. But you know if your afraid to work you should keep out of trucking.

I hope to drive as much as Legally allowed. Keep a good log book and be safe. I was told they like older drivers because we tend to be safer.

Can that be verified someplace.

So who do you drive for Greg? I keep asking that because you seem to know everything about trucking>
Old 10-13-2007, 04:59 PM

Since you're a brand new wet behind the ears newb gb.. you'll be dragging a van for the 1st 3 months before you can flatbed. That means offloading tons of furniture, tons of little boxes of Pier 1 stacked by hand from floor to ceiling or even better tons of Kmart loaded from floor to ceiling all tailgate loads. That's not even the end of it! Your easy load will be paper to go back South and pick up another one of these crap hand touch freight loads. Expect one of these atleast once a week.

Read some of the flatbed postings around here, it'll be the same at Watkins. Have fun tarping in the freezing winter for a few hours not to even earn a good days pay.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:02 PM

Some folks aren't afraid of working, they just against working for cheap which is what you'll be doing. There's plenty of drivers out here who make more than double than what you'll be doing at W/S and they're home to enjoy their families nighty.