User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2007, 03:31 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I am on Roehl's 7/3-4. After a couple months I have had 2-checks in the $700 range and the rest between $300 and $500.

I am bored to tears with them. Like all mid to large carriers they have more trucks and drivers than freight. I literally beg for loads. I am on time, have plenty of hours, don't whine, but let them know that miles are falling way short. It doesn't matter - you are just another driver. Perhaps, if you are out of Marshfield things will be better.

The bigger paycheck is a bit of an illusion. Sure you can stay out for a months at a time. You will make a few more sheckles. But how much do you want to give of your time for a decent paycheck? We all have a finite amount of time. It sux to watch it slip away waiting for a red light on a QualComm.

It's pretty easy to see why drivers are cranky and dispatchers would rather QualComm than speak on the phone.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Of Work
I've heard good things about Roehl, finding the right company depends on your personal choices. Home time versus a bigger paycheck from staying out longer. New drivers always want the home time, until they find out that it aint no fun being home and being broke. Every weekend the other half reminds you of what aint paid, so you get more peace and quiet being gone instead of being home.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:19 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKYROAD
The bigger paycheck is a bit of an illusion. Sure you can stay out for a months at a time. You will make a few more sheckles. But how much do you want to give of your time for a decent paycheck? We all have a finite amount of time. It sux to watch it slip away waiting for a red light on a QualComm.
Amen.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Board Regular
Default Roehl

Cpk16-sent you a PM.

Soladad
Old 09-18-2007, 10:12 PM
Board Regular

Rockyroad-sorry to hear that you are not getting miles on 7/4-3. Always had the impression that 7/4-3, 7/7 and trainers had the best miles and the rest of us got the the left overs.
I have found that my DSR is on the ball and is keeping an eye on my miles. I'm not just another driver on his board but I think he is a rare one as DSRs go. He really does care about his drivers.
Currently all carriers are feeling less loads than trucks. It is straight across the board for every carrier. There are good weeks and short weeks, some short weeks run together but it balances out. Thought about 7/4-3 but I run my own schedule on nationwide and seem to be doing well. I just roll with the loads, miles and weeks. The positives still out weigh the negatives

Soladad
Old 09-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Rookie

yeah they had some senior drivers that would go tell on other roehl drivers they suck up to management they were called the marshfeild mafia. an oil change every 50k miles woo woo run west with them 65 in a 70- 75 mph zone. Bring home a 250 dollar check. and wow the fleet managers polite as can be they don't treat you like the scum on the bottom of their shoe. oh and whats that they don't pay for a truck wash i dunno about you but you wanna be proud of what you are driving even if crooks own the truck.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin08
yeah they had some senior drivers that would go tell on other roehl drivers they suck up to management they were called the marshfeild mafia. an oil change every 50k miles woo woo run west with them 65 in a 70- 75 mph zone. Bring home a 250 dollar check. and wow the fleet managers polite as can be they don't treat you like the scum on the bottom of their shoe. oh and whats that they don't pay for a truck wash i dunno about you but you wanna be proud of what you are driving even if crooks own the truck.
So when and how long did you drive for Roehl?
How many miles did you average a week?
Any touch freight?
How was your hometime?
Old 09-28-2007, 12:51 AM
Rookie

WOW I live a few mile from R headquarters. I see them training persons everyday on my road. If your new to driving I would suggest R or DeBore transportation also in Central WI, as they to offer a good program. I don't know what you all think but driving is a hard ocupation, and not everyone is cut out to do what it takes.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy_1
WOW I live a few mile from R headquarters. I see them training persons everyday on my road. If your new to driving I would suggest R or DeBore transportation also in Central WI, as they to offer a good program. I don't know what you all think but driving is a hard ocupation, and not everyone is cut out to do what it takes.
Does DeBoer offer a training program or do they just take student drivers? I always thought they just took students.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:58 AM
Rookie

Students at no charge, and limited employment obligation.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soladad
Always had the impression that 7/4-3, 7/7 and trainers had the best miles and the rest of us got the the left overs.
I have found that my DSR is on the ball and is keeping an eye on my miles. I'm not just another driver on his board but I think he is a rare one as DSRs go. He really does care about his drivers.
Currently all carriers are feeling less loads than trucks. It is straight across the board for every carrier.
Soladad
What I hear, the pecking order for loads is: (1) lease/owner operators; (2) Trainers; (3) 7/3-4 / 7/7.

Everyone seems to concur freight is slow. The first month with Roehl I had preplans well before I got to my consignees. This stopped during Labor Day weekend. Things seemed to have picked this week. I was only out 5-days and got about 2400 miles.

DSR's (at least on the Hometime Plus Fleet) are teams. One half of my team is great. The other half is what sounds like a young girl. I get the feeling she may be a bit overwhelmed.

All and all it isn't a bad gig. Roehl should be a bit more upfront about the seemingly endless stream of "catches" to their bonuses and benefits. A driver needs to make a multi-year committment to Roehl to realize any of the bonuses/benefits. Going in I understood the CPM were on the low side. But, the "catches" to bonuses, holiday pay, etc. aren't really explained until orientation.

In conclusion, here's a toast to some hard running up to the Holidays ;-)