User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2008, 02:35 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Compare/Comment these Flat Bed Companies ?

Thinking I might...MIGHT.. go try flat bedding -- have 14+ years of driving experience--but no flat bed experience.

I've just talked to Milton today, have talked to Maverick and TMC(once upon a time).

So, I'd like to hear pro's and cons-- about these three:

Milton, Maverick, TMC

Milton recruiter claimed:

.42 cpm
$40.00- tarping pay( SAID 3 out of 4 of their loads--must be tarped)
$150.00 reimbursment on rental car( to get to Orientation-Tulsa,OK)
5-day orientation

(the funny thing was their phone system says: press 1 if you have less than 3 months experience, press 2 if "you're an experience driver- with 3 months or more")

TMC- been a long time since I talked to them-- slept since then.
(but I remember their phone system -- said -- I="if you're an experienced driver with 6 months.......")

Maverick- they first offered .41cpm then a second later recruiter said .40cpm-- was afraid to call back a third time.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Maverick- they first offered .41cpm then a second later recruiter said .40cpm-- was afraid to call back a third time.
Thats funny right there. :lol: :lol: ....Yup, wouldnt want to make a habit out of calling them back.
Maybe you should have them call you...then the CPM would go up. :lol:
Old 03-25-2008, 07:27 AM
Senior Board Member

IMO, you've got the top three flatbed outfits in country listed right there. In a lot of ways you could not go wrong with any of the three. Which one you pick depends upon what you are looking for.

All three will put you in nice newer equipment. All three will give you the opportunity to make a pretty good living. Depending upon where you live, Maverick will get you home pretty much every single weekend. Most of the guys I know at TMC get home regularly on the weekends also. Melton, however, most likely will not get you home every weekend. When I talked to them they offered 1 day off for each 7 days out and they claimed you would get home every 7-10 days. Most Melton drivers that I have talked to stay out for 2-3 weeks at a time. They did claim to make good money, but it didn't sound like they made any more than what I did at Maverick and I was home every weekend, usually for 2 full days. From what I've seen it really depends upon how much hometime you want and what color & make of truck you wanna drive.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfan
IMO, you've got the top three flatbed outfits in country listed right there. In a lot of ways you could not go wrong with any of the three. Which one you pick depends upon what you are looking for.

All three will put you in nice newer equipment. All three will give you the opportunity to make a pretty good living. Depending upon where you live, Maverick will get you home pretty much every single weekend. Most of the guys I know at TMC get home regularly on the weekends also. Melton, however, most likely will not get you home every weekend. When I talked to them they offered 1 day off for each 7 days out and they claimed you would get home every 7-10 days. Most Melton drivers that I have talked to stay out for 2-3 weeks at a time. They did claim to make good money, but it didn't sound like they made any more than what I did at Maverick and I was home every weekend, usually for 2 full days. From what I've seen it really depends upon how much hometime you want and what color & make of truck you wanna drive.
Ok..some thought there for me to chew on... Melton is the only one i've really talked to any depth with with a recruiter( maybe because it was a young woman :wink: :roll: )

the problem spots that I saw with Melton- was the tarping 3 out of every 4 loads- that's 75% tarping and whereas they may pay $40.00 a pop. That's very hard work- especially when you're out of shape as I am( from 14years of just holding a steering wheel closing doors) Honestly, I'm worried if I can make it over the 2 day training period.
But, then again I do need more exercise-- for controlling my diabetes.
Second, she said Melton does not run any side kits- ie- no covered wagon- ie. no produce- No Produce= sounds to me like not much running to California or points were melons, pototoes, onions, etc would be hauled.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Rookie

If tarping is not for you, Then I wouldn't consider TMC either.. I probably tarp 75% or greater of my loads.. And the $40 that Melton pays is by far better than TMC's $10. So weigh you options and decide what you are really looking for.

I am happy with TMC, although they have their flaws. Ever company out there has good and bad about them, so decide what you can put up with, and go for that company..

Best of Luck..

110% All Day, Every Day!!
Old 03-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Rookie

I can't speak for Melton or Maverick because I don't know specifics on them as far as pay, etc but they're both reputable companies. I haven't checked out Melton's site but I know Maverick has a pretty nice site. You mentioned that you have no flatbed so that means no matter who you pick you'll probably need a couple weeks of training. At TMC if you have at least one year verifiable otr then it's just one week, M-F of orientation and 2 weeks with a trainer for the flatbed end of things. We have a nice site outlining our orientation, etc if you want some more info at www.tmctrainingcenters.com

Good luck to you!
Old 03-25-2008, 11:19 PM
Senior Board Member

I wouldn't just limit myself to these three. There are alot more flatbed carriers out there. Bigger isn't always better.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo
I wouldn't just limit myself to these three. There are alot more flatbed carriers out there. Bigger isn't always better.
Got any more names I can research-

I was looking at Builders Transport too

Would like to find one that pays in the at or above .40cent range, runs west,
doesn't tarp 75%, doesn't require haz-mat, and that will get me home (allow truck take home) 3days every 3 weeks to Mountain Home, Ar.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:19 PM
Senior Board Member

[quote="headborg"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo
Got any more names I can research-

I was looking at Builders Transport too

Would like to find one that pays in the at or above .40cent range, runs west,
doesn't tarp 75%, doesn't require haz-mat, and that will get me home (allow truck take home) 3days every 3 weeks to Mountain Home, Ar.[/quote

Here on the home page you can search flatbed companies.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Board Regular