User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Anybody know which company will hire someone w/ a felony?

Me and my husband both have a felony each, just one, mine was over 11 yrs ago and his is 7 yrs old, there the only ones we have, but it just seems like were screwed either way, If we tell the truth and put it on the application then everyone says no off the bat! if we lie and they still find out then we're fired, the later has not happend yet, we have not lied but it's getting to that point, No one will give us a chance. comapnys won't hire someone with a possion but they will hire someone with grand theft and has the history to seal thier truck or load! What's the deal?
Old 07-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Senior Board Member

What exactly are the felonies for? That will help in answering your question.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Odds are it is his conviction that is the problem. Most companies want at least 10 years from date of conviction before considering it.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Rookie

It's not just his it seems to be both of our because we both have the same thing possion of a controlled substance. It's like when they ask do you have any felonys and you say yes they automactly think your a bad person!
What I don't understand is why on like Swifts website it says no felonies with in 5 years, so I apply and the when someone calls and they ask the same question again and I say yes but then tell them how old they are they say " sorry i can't help you, We don't accept anyone with any felonys" But I know for a fact that they do, Because I kn ow someone that works for them and has one but it is not for drugs it's a grand theft, so Swift would rather hire someone that could steal the truck or the whole load.
Anybody have any Ideas?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:26 PM
Senior Board Member

While I know it does not seem fair I can understand why a company would not want to hire someone with a drug conviction.

First off, with the laws in many states, if someone gets caught with drugs the state can seize any and all property that the person has in his/her possession regardless of who actually owns that property. This creates a huge problem for the company since they are out the truck, trailer and load and insurance is not going to cover that loss. Insurance will cover a loss due to theft however.

Secondly, if someone with a drug conviction goes back to using drugs while driving they have a greater chance of killing someone which also creates a huge liability for the company.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:51 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
so Swift would rather hire someone that could steal the truck or the whole load.
Actually, yes. Replacing a truck and a trailer is a whole lot cheaper that paying out millions to someone that has a wreck and kills someone. And like it or not, right or wrong, and God forbid...if you are in a wreck and kill someone, your past as a drug offender will be front and center for the prosecution. So most companies today have adopted a no-tolerance policy.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Actually, yes. Replacing a truck and a trailer is a whole lot cheaper that paying out millions to someone that has a wreck and kills someone. And like it or not, right or wrong, and God forbid...if you are in a wreck and kill someone, your past as a drug offender will be front and center for the prosecution. So most companies today have adopted a no-tolerance policy.

And he's a recruiter, so, right from the horses mouth, so to speak.
"It's not surprising, then, they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations." --explaining his troubles winning over some working-class voters - BARACK OBAMA
Old 07-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Rookie

But you should ask not just ass-ume that if you have a possion charge that your on drugs or used them. I have never used drugs! or my husband! in my case I was 16 and had no other way to take care of my self but to sell them. I refused to sell my body! and as for my husband he got a possion because they had no other charges on him to prove! he was sitting at the bus stop and there was dope boys around the police jumped out on them and they thru the dope under the bench and the police put it on him! and with the "justice" in florida and no money you get a sorry public defender and everyone knows they work with the state.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:13 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

A possession charge is a possession charge, regardless of the circumstances. Whether or not you used them is actually irrelevant. In the same situation I posted, if you were in an accident and killed someone, your felony charges would be the crowning jewel of the prosecution and I guarantee you that not a one of them (prosecution, jury, or judge) would believe you never used or your husband had the charge just thrown on him. Whether that's true or not is not for me to decide or comment on. I'm just telling you HOW it would be viewed in a court of law and WHY most companies will not hire you.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Board Regular

the guy that wrecked and burned on the bridge in oakland not long ago, he had a felony and the media brought that up front and center. it sucks, but some people in society just cant forgive even if one repays society.