User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007, 12:42 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default recent highschool graduate looking for entrance into truckin

I'm a recent high school graduate looking fo entrance into the trucking industry. I have grown up with my uncle in the trucking industry but he has recently gotten out of OTR trucking. I'm looking for others advice on what I should do. I'v spent ots of time with my uncle out on the road so I know what its like. I'm 18 years old and i'm looking to get my CDL. I live in Georgia and I can get my Class A CDL and drive a truck as long as I stay in the state lines. I'm currently trying to get on with a company doing dockwork or something that will get me closer to trucking until I get my CDL. If anyone has any advice or anything that may help me..please send it my way. Thanks.

Terry.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:02 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: recent highschool graduate looking for entrance into tru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaW900L
I'm a recent high school graduate looking fo entrance into the trucking industry. I have grown up with my uncle in the trucking industry but he has recently gotten out of OTR trucking. I'm looking for others advice on what I should do. I'v spent ots of time with my uncle out on the road so I know what its like. I'm 18 years old and i'm looking to get my CDL. I live in Georgia and I can get my Class A CDL and drive a truck as long as I stay in the state lines. I'm currently trying to get on with a company doing dockwork or something that will get me closer to trucking until I get my CDL. If anyone has any advice or anything that may help me..please send it my way. Thanks.

Terry.
Here is the advise I'll give you. You just gotton out of high school. Go to college, and get into a decent career. Truck driving is not the world it once was. Go get a education, get a degree. I know that most will tell you different. This is the advise I'm giving my boys. Your young, and just starting your life. Start out right. Besides, not many companies will hire you until your 21-23. After a few years in college, you will be able to make much more than what truck driving can give you.

And i want you to know. If you were already over 25, I would help you out. But in my heart, I know I'm right.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 06-18-2007, 01:32 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: recent highschool graduate looking for entrance into tru

Quote:

Terry.
You can only do intrastate. You must 21 to do interstate by law.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:33 AM
Rookie

Yes. intrastate is what i'm wanting to do until i turn 21
Old 06-18-2007, 01:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Yes. intrastate is what i'm wanting to do until i turn 21
You might be able to find something. I think most insurance companies will not want a trucking company to hire someone younger. But there are always exceptions.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:32 AM

AquaW900L,
Good luck breaking into this field, it is not as tough as it once was. If you take the advice to get a college education that is fine and nothing wrong with higher education, but the truth be told many college educated people are coming to trucking because there is money to be made. Get your experience and then get on with a great company, i.e. wal-mart, you could very well be set for life. Make your up your own mind, as with any job, you get of trucking as much as you put into. Attitude is everything in this career.
Again Good Luck to you!
Old 06-18-2007, 02:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Go to college, get a degree and set your sights..........higher than trucking.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate1577
Go to college, get a degree and set your sights..........higher than trucking.
I went to college. I got a degree. My sights are set higher than trucking.

I'm still trucking.

If you don't want me to be a truck driver anymore, then hire me to do something else that pays at least $40K a year.

Nobody else will. I tried to hire myself, but I couldn't make enough money to even dream of taking a chance that there might be more money later. My father has been dreaming that dream, and he's $180,000 in the hole, and the company he put all that money into has gone out of business, and he is so, so, so screwed. At least I only owe $16,000 (aside from my house.) It could be a lot worse.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:51 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the advice truckers. I have thought about the whole college thing but I already know college is not for me....i thought the 4 years of getting through High school was bad enough. My uncle drove OTR for about 25 years and has taken me on alot of trips with him and I love being on the open road. I learned how to drive his truck when i was 9 years old. and to this day I enjoy watching the rigs and driving them with my uncle. He is currently driving a heavy duty recovery truck...he got burned out on the OTR so he's trying other stuff around to do with the trucks but he's looking at going back OTR soon. I would go to college and get a higher education but I dont want a job of sitting behind a desk doing paperwork. So the best thing I can see myself doing is getting into the trucks and driving them. Trucking has been my whole life dream. I know money is a big thing is everyones career but happiness is also a big importance.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:58 AM
Senior Board Member

You sound just like me aqua when i was 18. Well just to let you know i quit high school at 17 (Got my GED). I started work as a laborer running a jackhammer etc. Got my CDL at 18 my dad is a O/O of a tri axle dump truck. Started driving dumps at 18 when i was around 20 i started to drive a tanker. The Money is good i made alittle over 50k last year and for only being 23 thats damn good in my book. But trucking is a tough road and its getting tougher with all the BS laws and regs.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug