User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007, 04:05 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

The military can get you driving a tractor trailer and give you a darn good mark on your resume for when you get out. Army transportation corps is probably the best for being a driver but the Air Force, Navy and Marines all have drivers as well.

The training is good but usually not recognized on the outside as you don't get a CDL but a military license although it will make it easier to get into a company program later.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:10 AM
Rookie

yes thats what my uncle told me. He told me to looking into the military because i thought about joining the usmc and driving a truck for them and when i got out I could look into starting somewhere hauling the heavy and wide loads...so that is something that i'm still thinking about.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:13 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Do yourself a big favor and RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN away from irregular-route over-the-road truckdriving. Too many hours on the job. Too much time away from home. Too much BS for the $$$$. WAYYYYYYYYYY too many freebies.

Stay home, get laid, have a life outside of and away from the truck. Head over to your local vo tech and pick up a skill or trade: HVAC, plumbing, electrical, glaziers, etc. Pretty much anything in the health care field pays good and you'll always have a job. Diesel mechanic, ASE-certified...now you're talking. Still want to drive? Then take a ride down to your local UPS sorting facility and put in an app. Do your time and bid your way up to package car and then feeder. 30 bucks an hour plus overtime plus Teamster pension.

OTR was a good job some 20-odd years ago. But nowadays it's nothing more than a tax-funded work release program for the homeless and recently paroled. Just look at the astronomical turnover rates: 120% per year!!!! :shock:
Old 06-18-2007, 05:18 AM
Senior Board Member
Default re cfm

feeder.............what is that????
Old 06-18-2007, 05:23 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: re cfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR SILVER
Feeder drivers are the ones you see driving the double pup trailers. They take the loads in between cities to the various package centers. There the local package drivers deliver them.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
Quote:
Feeder drivers are the ones you see driving the double pup trailers. They take the loads in between cities to the various package centers. There the local package drivers deliver them.

Here I was thinking you were talking about the drivers crowded around the buffet at the J. :wink: :lol:
Old 06-18-2007, 05:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
Quote:

Here I was thinking you were talking about the drivers crowded around the buffet at the J. :wink: :lol:
ya those are "feeders" too...................lol :shock:
well now i can sleep in peace....... 8)
Old 06-18-2007, 05:55 AM
Rookie

OTR was a good job some 20-odd years ago. But nowadays it's nothing more than a tax-funded work release program for the homeless and recently paroled. Just look at the astronomical turnover rates: 120% per year!!!! :shock:[/quote]

So im guessing you have a low opinion of OTR driving,I would take offense to what you typed,but as someone that just got paroled from the military,its just too hard for me to comprehend.

Not all jobs are meant for everyone,it takes a special breed,to do what we OTR drivers do, being in the military you get used to working for free, but i tell you what i make 3x more than i did in the military. My opinion of OTR might change later on,but right now im loving it.Noone breathing down my neck,just me,truck, and my doggie on the open road,with a load that will be delivered on time.

If you do go the Military route,i suggest you get that college education on there time and money,take as many college classes as you can,online courses.These will all be avail to you,then when you get out you will have your gi bill that you can use for the rest of your college degree.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Working the dock at a LTL(Yellow, FedEx Freight,Con-Way, UPS Freight etc) or parcel company(UPS) is a great way to get into trucking if you really want to do it.

Its also a good PT job while you go to your Vo-Tech or Junior College and get a skill. Any type of skilled blue collar work will be better than the low pay and Capt. insano hrs or long haul drivers.

I have a college degree and am content with my job at an LTL dock/city guy... for now. Would I want to do this for 20-30 years HELL NO!.

I'd steer clear of the Army right now until we finally pull the plug on Iraq. Despite what the recruiters might tell you there are good odds of going getting injured or killed.

If you really want to do the military look at the Air Force ,Coast Guard or Navy. Just don't volunteer for Subs in you go with the Navy, my friend and college spend 3 very long miserable years on a missile boat.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:45 AM
Rookie

well I have put in several applications to different LTL companies in my area...Yellow Freight and and another one..cant recall the name of it...but i havent heard anything from Yellow yet...i put the other application in today but cant remember the name of the company. I also put some in a distribution centers in my area..so now i can sit and wait.[/quote]