User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007, 10:27 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Aqua, it's very unlikely for you to get hired on at a big LTL outfit like yellow, or others you've mentioned, i've been driving almost since i've gotten out of school, since the age of 19. In my opinion, you need to go around town and beat down the doors of your local mom and pops outfits, it took me 3 months to find a job, but i was able to find that job because of determination, i hauled sod for the first 4 years of my career, and although it was hard way to make a living, i was able to get myself ahead and land a better gig. Guys like me, and Mackman started out just like you, and we're still young and wet behind the ears in to this wonderful world of trucking, but take it from him and i when we say it's gonna be tough finding someone to bring you on at your age, but with a little determination theres a good chance you'll find someone, look at rock haulers, construction outfits, sod companies, whatever you gotta do to get your foot in the door.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:18 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm only a couple months from getting my cdl, so I'm in the same boat as you are. In the mean time look into other areas of driving, coke, pepsi, bread routes, vending machine companies ( which I did.)

It's amazing though reading what some people have posted, they talk down about there job, but yet in other threads they wouldn't trade it for the world. Hmmm Interesting :?:

Old 06-19-2007, 12:53 AM
Rookie

Thanks millersod215 and madlux. Well I'm still looking into how i'm going to get my CDL...i talked to the DMV here in town and the way the man was telling me....he said i bring $30 and take the test and i got them but I know theres alot more to it than that...i mean come on....why do they have the truck driving schools...so i talked to americas driving force and they said they will train me to get my CDL class A. I have aleady seen a sod farm looking for drivers...and others have told me about the pepsi and coke companies..so i'll look into that further. Thanks again guys.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate1577
Go to college, get a degree and set your sights..........higher than trucking.
I wish someone had given me this advice when I was 18.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:18 PM
Board Regular

Almost guaranteed that coke and pepsi want you to be 21, there's a good chance those sod farms will give you a chance, and although it's a tough way to learn to drive, it will teach you a lot more than just the basic skills learned on the road, and i'm not saying that as an insult to anyone, but you'll learn to drive offroad and in rough conditions, which in the long run will teach you a lot.