User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldiesPlating
I guess you never had that auto shift out in the snow. Total lack of control as the truck hunts for the right gear and keeps you (or puts you) in a ditch.
Hey Fred buddy, whether it's an automatic or stick doesn't matter about winter driving, it's all in how you use the throttle. You can wipe out and spin the tare out of the tires with a stick just as easy as an auto unless your automatic has traction control. If not, as long as your light on the throttle, you reduce the chance of lighting the tires up with either.

Devil, it varies but on paper it looks like they are about the same afterwards. Mav pays per mile while TMC gives you a choice of per mile or percentage. From what I have been seeing with both, the pay works to be about the same depending on how you run.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Board Regular

I really can't compare the two AFTER training because I've only worked for Maverick. I can tell you that if you want to run hard, it's not a problem to gross $1000-$1200/ week at Maverick. I'm sure it's not at TMC either, BUT there is no way that I would consistently preach these numbers to the new guys. I personally, don't do those numbers every week, but I could if I wanted to.

This is not about who pays more, or who is the better company. I doubt there is enough difference to matter. It comes down to personal choice. Fred just makes it out to be a big deal and does everything he can to promote TMC and run down Maverick. He knows it and I think 90% of the people reading these threads see it. I have to hand it to Fred, he's always been good at disguising his bashing. I've always just overlooked it since it seems that even as BAD as Maverick is, they sure don't seem to be hurting for potential drivers.

Quote:
And once again for deaf, pig-headed loudmouths like yourself
Ok, let's review: Freddy Boy posted on a Maverick thread, bashing Maverick. I called him on it. The rest is basicly BS from one side to the other.

I know you'll respond and you'll admit that Maverick is a good company and there's really not much difference between the two. But, then in the end you'll throw in some off-hand comment about maroon trucks, or Freightliner, or auto shifts. Jump on it Fred, we all know the drill by now.

I know it's tough Fred, but don't let your blood pressure get the best of ya :lol:
Old 05-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arky
I really can't compare the two AFTER training because I've only worked for Maverick. I can tell you that if you want to run hard, it's not a problem to gross $1000-$1200/ week at Maverick. I'm sure it's not at TMC either, BUT there is no way that I would consistently preach these numbers to the new guys. I personally, don't do those numbers every week, but I could if I wanted to.

This is not about who pays more, or who is the better company. I doubt there is enough difference to matter. It comes down to personal choice. Fred just makes it out to be a big deal and does everything he can to promote TMC and run down Maverick. He knows it and I think 90% of the people reading these threads see it. I have to hand it to Fred, he's always been good at disguising his bashing. I've always just overlooked it since it seems that even as BAD as Maverick is, they sure don't seem to be hurting for potential drivers.

Quote:
And once again for deaf, pig-headed loudmouths like yourself
Ok, let's review: Freddy Boy posted on a Maverick thread, bashing Maverick. I called him on it. The rest is basicly BS from one side to the other.

I know you'll respond and you'll admit that Maverick is a good company and there's really not much difference between the two. But, then in the end you'll throw in some off-hand comment about maroon trucks, or Freightliner, or auto shifts. Jump on it Fred, we all know the drill by now.

I know it's tough Fred, but don't let your blood pressure get the best of ya :lol:
Nah not gonna jump on it. From what we discussed ALREADY several times, I believe readers can see us BOTH for what we are and I've got HUNDREDS of emails and PM's to prove I'm an asset to new and experienced drivers alike. Those who've actually CALLED me for help can attest to that. I don't push TMC over the phone and continue to help out drivers from SEVERAL companies besides TMC.
A very few others, like yourself, will ALWAYS find an argument even if one doesn't exist.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldiesPlating
I guess you never had that auto shift out in the snow. Total lack of control as the truck hunts for the right gear and keeps you (or puts you) in a ditch.
Hey Fred buddy, whether it's an automatic or stick doesn't matter about winter driving, it's all in how you use the throttle. You can wipe out and spin the tare out of the tires with a stick just as easy as an auto unless your automatic has traction control. If not, as long as your light on the throttle, you reduce the chance of lighting the tires up with either.

Devil, it varies but on paper it looks like they are about the same afterwards. Mav pays per mile while TMC gives you a choice of per mile or percentage. From what I have been seeing with both, the pay works to be about the same depending on how you run.
I've only heard the traction complaint from other drivers. I never drove an autoshift myself. I've heard more against them than for them. Perhaps the newer ones or future ones will be or are better. For now, I prefer my 13 speed. I like the ability to control what gear I'm in and thus the response and handling of the truck feels more under MY control. Not to mention the effect of my Jake Brake on slowing the truck down is directly related to the RPM's of my tractor and those RPM's are better controlled by me (with a stickshift) than by an autoshift with no eyes, ears or seat of the pants feelings. I may be old fashioned, but I feel autoshifts are for people who really don't (or can't) or are tired, of driving a truck for a living.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Board Icon

Same here on that last note Fred. I like a stick over an auto but if I get one, I will not turn it down for the city driving I do or better yet, those Manumatic's or whatever they are called. You can use the stick to go thru gears but if your in heavy traffic that is stop and go, you can flip a switch and put'er in automatic mode and let the truck shift itself.

Believe it or not, using your Jake in winter weather is just asking for trouble. I've had a lot of old timers that have reminded me to make sure my Jake is off in the winter stuff. I hardly use it anyways because we have a bunch of "NO Jake" areas.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Since we're on the topic of transmissions and Maverick....
Hubby wants to know if the autos at Mav have a switch on them (he says on top) that gives you control of the shifting, not an actual stick like the mixed ones, but just lets you control the buttons. Hope I made sense....
Old 05-12-2007, 11:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madii'swife
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
It's a shame they give me over $1,000.00 per month, otherwise I just couldn't tolerate it.
Funny, if TMC only pays $1000 a MONTH, its a wonder they keep drivers :lol:
Well, I'm slowly working my way up, I hear I may make it to $1,001.00 per month soon.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
Same here on that last note Fred. I like a stick over an auto but if I get one, I will not turn it down for the city driving I do or better yet, those Manumatic's or whatever they are called. You can use the stick to go thru gears but if your in heavy traffic that is stop and go, you can flip a switch and put'er in automatic mode and let the truck shift itself.

Believe it or not, using your Jake in winter weather is just asking for trouble. I've had a lot of old timers that have reminded me to make sure my Jake is off in the winter stuff. I hardly use it anyways because we have a bunch of "NO Jake" areas.
Nooooo I'd never use the Jake on slippery surfaces. I was talking about on dry pavement, I like the option of controlling the rpm of the engine with a manual tranny so when I get off the pedal, the Jake either has a huge effect (higher rpm) or less effect (at lower rpm/higher gear)
Old 05-12-2007, 11:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by madii'swife
Quote:
It's a shame they give me over $1,000.00 per month, otherwise I just couldn't tolerate it.
Funny, if TMC only pays $1000 a MONTH, its a wonder they keep drivers :lol:
Well, I'm slowly working my way up, I hear I may make it to $1,001.00 per month soon.
See? TMC even has talented comedians too!
Old 05-13-2007, 12:25 AM
Rookie

I am now in my second month of a 2-3 month wait for Maverick. Not a big deal for me because I am currently employed and was told from day one it would take this long to get me to Arkansas to CDL school. I checked in with my recruiter just the other day and was told everything was still on track and would be getting a call anytime now. It seems its the whole school thing because I was told if I wanted to go get my CDL on my own, wait time to go to orientation would only be a week or two. Or I could go specialized and that would speed it up as well.

I had also got pre-hired with TMC but was told I would have to pay for my CDL on my own and would be reimbursed at the rate of $100 a month, once I started there. I was told they had no programs that paid for your schooling up front. The cheapest school around my area that they would accept me going to was around $4000, so to me it was pretty much a no-brainer. I just didnt feel comfortable putting that on a credit card, which I would have had to do.

I dont think a newb can go wrong with either company, it just depends on what you CAN do financially and some of what you wanna do.