User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I say go for it. If you can keep a level head with a rookie and know how to teach, I wouldn't have a problem going out with you. I'm not sold on this idea that a trainer needs to have X amount of years to be a good trainer. There are pros and cons to both sides of the story. But, I would much rather have someone with less experience than someone that's only in it for the money he can make from my miles.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:11 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasman2
I'll be honest with you.
I don't drive yet... I start school next Monday.
When I "DO" start driving, last thing I want is someone with "only" 6 months under his/her belt. I would refuse you.
I'm gonna play devils advocate just for discussion purposes. You haven't driven yet and you're going to refuse a trainer with 6 months. Based on what? Someone that has never driven doesn't know right from wrong, doesn't have a clue if what he's being taught is correct. You haven't been out with a trainer yet, so you don't have anything to make a comparison on. I'm just curious what you would base this refusal on. I hope there is some logic behind it and not just opinion or something you read on a forum somewhere. I will be starting school soon too, so I'm curious what matrix you use to determine if someone is a suitable trainer for you, as an idividual, and why. Your ideas may help some of us in the same situation.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaJim
Quote:
I'll be honest with you.
When I "DO" start driving, last thing I want is someone with "only" 6 months under his/her belt. I would refuse you.
I'm gonna play devils advocate just for discussion purposes. You haven't driven yet and you're going to refuse a trainer with 6 months. Based on what? Someone that has never driven doesn't know right from wrong, doesn't have a clue if what he's being taught is correct. You haven't been out with a trainer yet, so you don't have anything to make a comparison on. I'm just curious what you would base this refusal on. I hope there is some logic behind it and not just opinion or something you read on a forum somewhere. I will be starting school soon too, so I'm curious what matrix you use to determine if someone is a suitable trainer for you, as an idividual, and why. Your ideas may help some of us in the same situation.
Call it a gut feeling. Part of this is, I feel a "good" trainer should have 3 to 5 years under his/her belt. With 6 months and having a bad trainer, not learning anything from him and being self taught, I don't see how he/she would know all the ins or outs of trucking yet. My feelings on a self taught driver with 6 months would be a danger to myself and others on the road.

Here he is.... 6 months.... had a crappy trainer..... learning on his own.... and "Thinks" he is a better trainer than others. Yet is still "Learning".
I want someone that can answer off the wall questions if needed, not someone that says "well I'm not sure" or tries to make up an answer.

Years ago I was out there with a friend ( whom is a truck driver ). I was just going for the ride and checking it out. He had been driving for 10 years, so I felt good about going out on the road with him. He knew what he was doing and answered a lot of questions I had at the time. So it's not like I haven't been out on the road, I just wasn't driving. He would point out stupid stuff that "other drivers" were doing and tell me why is was stupid or a danger to others on the road.

My answer has nothing to do with what I have read on here, it's how I feel about going out with someone with a good amount of time under his/her belt, that would "know" what to do should an emergency arise, and not panic and do the wrong thing and get us both killed.

If the company that I want to work for hires me, I already have a trainer set up. It's another friend that has been driving for 5 1/2 years. I feel good about this for 2 reasons. 1 he has 5 years under his belt with no tickets or accidents, or violations. 2 we are friends so we already get along, and we already talked about ( several times ) the training, ie if I do something "really stupid" he might raise his voice, mostly out of panic.

I can understand "some yelling" or "raised voice" if someone or I would do something "really stupid" BUT I also told him if I felt the yelling wasn't called for I would yell back. He said "fair enough", then we would talk about it. I really don't see that happening ( yelling ) because I'm a safe driver and always look for hazards now. When your driving a 37 foot motor home you always check your mirrors, intersections, ect, same with driving a motorcycle, which I own and drive both. Yes it's not the same, but it's close as far as hazards go. You can't stop a motor home on a dime and need to know what is around you at all times. Same as a motorcycle, most people don't see you, and you need to know where you can go to avoid an emergency.

I can understand where the OP is coming from.... He had a bad trainer.... he wants to be a better trainer, and I think he is thinking in the right direction, but I also think he needs more time under his belt.

This is just my opinion, my gut feeling. Who knows... he "could" turn out to be a good trainer, but I don't want to take that chance.

Now he, you, or anyone on this board can bash me for my opinion/gut feelings, but it's not going to change my mind.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Board Regular

I'm with glasman on this one. Say your having open heart surgery next week, who would you rather doing it. Somebody with 10 years experience and thousands of operations under his belt, or somebody 6 months out of med school, with maybe 10 under his belt?
Old 03-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaJim
Quote:
I'll be honest with you.
Call it a gut feeling. Part of this is, I feel a "good" trainer should have 3 to 5 years under his/her belt. With 6 months and having a bad trainer, not learning anything from him and being self taught, I don't see how he/she would know all the ins or outs of trucking yet. My feelings on a self taught driver with 6 months would be a danger to myself and others on the road.

Here he is.... 6 months.... had a crappy trainer..... learning on his own.... and "Thinks" he is a better trainer than others. Yet is still "Learning".
I want someone that can answer off the wall questions if needed, not someone that says "well I'm not sure" or tries to make up an answer.

Years ago I was out there with a friend ( whom is a truck driver ). I was just going for the ride and checking it out. He had been driving for 10 years, so I felt good about going out on the road with him. He knew what he was doing and answered a lot of questions I had at the time. So it's not like I haven't been out on the road, I just wasn't driving. He would point out stupid stuff that "other drivers" were doing and tell me why is was stupid or a danger to others on the road.

My answer has nothing to do with what I have read on here, it's how I feel about going out with someone with a good amount of time under his/her belt, that would "know" what to do should an emergency arise, and not panic and do the wrong thing and get us both killed.

If the company that I want to work for hires me, I already have a trainer set up. It's another friend that has been driving for 5 1/2 years. I feel good about this for 2 reasons. 1 he has 5 years under his belt with no tickets or accidents, or violations. 2 we are friends so we already get along, and we already talked about ( several times ) the training, ie if I do something "really stupid" he might raise his voice, mostly out of panic.

I can understand "some yelling" or "raised voice" if someone or I would do something "really stupid" BUT I also told him if I felt the yelling wasn't called for I would yell back. He said "fair enough", then we would talk about it. I really don't see that happening ( yelling ) because I'm a safe driver and always look for hazards now. When your driving a 37 foot motor home you always check your mirrors, intersections, ect, same with driving a motorcycle, which I own and drive both. Yes it's not the same, but it's close as far as hazards go. You can't stop a motor home on a dime and need to know what is around you at all times. Same as a motorcycle, most people don't see you, and you need to know where you can go to avoid an emergency.

I can understand where the OP is coming from.... He had a bad trainer.... he wants to be a better trainer, and I think he is thinking in the right direction, but I also think he needs more time under his belt.

This is just my opinion, my gut feeling. Who knows... he "could" turn out to be a good trainer, but I don't want to take that chance.

Now he, you, or anyone on this board can bash me for my opinion/gut feelings, but it's not going to change my mind.
Thanks for the response! Good luck out there.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:15 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalregion
I'm with glasman on this one. Say your having open heart surgery next week, who would you rather doing it. Somebody with 10 years experience and thousands of operations under his belt, or somebody 6 months out of med school, with maybe 10 under his belt?
That analogy is a little to the extreme, but point taken. The difference is these so-called experienced drivers are wrecking trucks and killing people every day. It doesn't say much for the experience theory.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:38 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalregion
Totally irrelevant. You are comparing a skilled trade with a teaching trade.

Now who would be better at TEACHING the surgery?
Who has the people skills?

I had trainers I could get along with. They were new, but expressed their points well (illegal or not).

I did have a trainer with 19 yrs. experience. I couldn't make heads or tails of what he was saying!
Old 10-26-2007, 01:11 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyD
Sure, I'll give you 2 answers.

Considering industry standards, my lack of experience alone would be enough to not qualify me to train others... no argument here.

With Swift, however, a driver with 6 mos., no accidents, and no log violations fits the basic qualifications to train.

Now I have to ask myself if i'm fit to train others.

I would say the short answer is yes... or at least yes because I know I would be better than my trainer (12 yrs exp, no communication skills, no teaching skills, only knew how to yell and scream... I learned more in my first 2 weeks solo self-taught than i did that whole 6 weeks)

I've heard countless horror stories about swift trainers, with good stories few and far between. I know I could do better.

You think you can train someone with six months experience? LOL come on, get real. Six months or even one year is nothing.

Get some real miles under your belt first, rookie.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:51 AM

And this one is only 7 months old..only to insult the guy.

Bitter much, or just a Swift fanboy?
Old 10-26-2007, 01:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Every post by him is a negative insult. Someone has some mommy issues.