User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2007, 06:06 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Handicap parking at truck stops ?

I was at the flying -j off I-70 in MO I think exit 188 a few months ago , and it was like 2am And I there was only 1 empty spot I backed in ,and the driver next to me starts waving his hand up and down in an angry motion , and started pointing at something then he grabs a "HANDICAP" sign off his window ,and comes flying out of his truck and comes to my door ,and starts to loudly explain I'm in a Handicap spot. There were no signs and the paint on the ground was so faded I couldn't see it marked . I moved and waited for about an hour someone to leave ,so he wouldn't have a heart attact or die from from me strangling him , But what caught me funny was he pretty much jumped out of the truck ,and had no problem climbing and yelling on my truck , So what exactly qualifies as a handi-cap giving you special parking privilages ,because from what i saw with him he wasn't in need of a handicap parking space ,and i also thought a driver had to be relatively physically able bodied to pass a dot and drive ...

I moved and waited for another spot to empty ,but what would you guys have done in a similar instance ?
Old 10-25-2007, 06:11 PM
Board Regular

You have to move. Feel lucky he wasn't a real butt hole and just let you park there and then call a cop.

It seems to me that most of the people with handicap mirror tags are not handicapped, they have a relative that is and just take advantage of the close parking.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay B
You have to move. Feel lucky he wasn't a real butt hole and just let you park there and then call a cop.

Yes him calling the cops would have sucked , But because there was no sign posted at viewing level from a vaehicle there's no way to enforce it with a ticket . :wink: I just moved ,because it seemed easier than being stubborn .

It seems to me that most of the people with handicap mirror tags are not handicapped, they have a relative that is and just take advantage of the close parking.
Well I wonder if a load going to Newark or central long Island counts as a Handicap ?
Old 10-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Senior Board Member

As basically mentioned this person may have had someone who is handicap in the truck with him.

Sadly though, as mentioned already, there are people who use the handicap stickers, placards, and plates just to get a better parking space when there is no need for it.

As far as what constitutes "handicap" as far as the special plates and stickers go, the person who gets one has to show a need for it that has to be signed off on by a doctor. This need is such where walking from a "normal" spot is either impossible or places undue stress on the person such as someone who is on oxygen 24/7 or who has a bad heart, etc.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
As basically mentioned this person may have had someone who is handicap in the truck with him.

Sadly though, as mentioned already, there are people who use the handicap stickers, placards, and plates just to get a better parking space when there is no need for it.

As far as what constitutes "handicap" as far as the special plates and stickers go, the person who gets one has to show a need for it that has to be signed off on by a doctor. This need is such where walking from a "normal" spot is either impossible or places undue stress on the person such as someone who is on oxygen 24/7 or who has a bad heart, etc.

SO basicly your average fat ass who passes for "OBEESE" could qualify for this classification . :shock:
Old 10-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Senior Board Member

In a word, no.

Contrary to what your bigoted comment would indicate there are many obese people who are probably in better shape than you are. Speaking from a cardio-vascular stand point.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Board Icon

In some places, if a sign is not present, then it cannot be enforced as handicap parking.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
Quote:

SO basicly your average fat ass who passes for "OBEESE" could qualify for this classification . :shock:
Probably, could also be classified as a OCD. Can you get a handicap sticker for OCD's? WAIT.... let me be PC "handicapable"
Old 10-25-2007, 10:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
In a word, no.

Contrary to what your bigoted comment would indicate there are many obese people who are probably in better shape than you are. Speaking from a cardio-vascular stand point.
How was that comment bigoted? Don't obese people ultimately have control over their "handicap"? Chances are if you are obese you are in very poor cardiovascular health (very high BP).
Old 10-25-2007, 11:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan
Quote:
In a word, no.

How was that comment bigoted? Don't obese people ultimately have control over their "handicap"? Chances are if you are obese you are in very poor cardiovascular health (very high BP).

Exactly I've never seen a person who honestly decreased their caloric intake with a heatlthy diet along with good exercise not drop fat , But I have seen and heard many SUPER sized individuals talk about genetics and "METABOLIC INDIVIDUALITY" as the reason they can't drop any weight while they are choking down a couple Big Mac's with fries and the "MAGIC" Diet soft drink .