User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Schneider Facts for newbees

If you do not already have a CDL you will be asked to sign a training contract in the amount of 3500 dollars. If you should voluntarily or involuntarily leave the company before 12 months of continuous service you will owe the full amount. If you already have a CDL but you have no recent experience you will be obligated as stated above. If you are a recent driving school graduate with a certificate you will not be asked to sign..( Must be within the last 90 Days)
Pay base .26 mi account premium .04 geographic premium .04. They pay household mover guide miles. Also you only have a 10% window on those miles in regard to trip planning or you will be considered out of route. You will be required to purchase a King pin lock , 4 installments of 13.75. Get your CDL on your own, this training program is very fast paced and for many people it does not work out for them. They also don’t pay empty miles. In most circumstances you can only go through home under a load . You also must be able to accommodate the tractor and trailer at your home park location
You also must fill out a agreement in regard to your home park location with many stipulations. Such as who will you call for starting problems and freight security etc

If your new get your CDL on your OWN do not go through this program you could regret it. Have some start up money you will probably go 6-8 weeks with out a substantial pay check. I think you would have be able to cover your bills as well as have 150.00 per week spending money while on the road if you are very scrupulous with you budget. I wanted to make this post because you will not find out this information until you are on the property. Don’t trust anyone in this business. Remember business is business. You can probably make a good living but be careful starting out.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:50 PM
Board Regular

One good thing about schneider though is that they have the webasco bunk heater intalled on all their tractors. At least all the newer ones.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis friend
One good thing about schneider though is that they have the webasco bunk heater intalled on all their tractors. At least all the newer ones.
Hmmm I had a Webasco with Gordon and W&S. So I am not sure this is a unique plus for Schneider.

.26 cpm HHG and not paying for empty miles is highway robbery. I have heard of buying the kingpin lock rather than issue a lock as a negative but not paying for empty miles?

Could a Schneider driver verify this? Is this something new?
Old 03-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Senior Board Member

SNI does pay empty miles!!!! never heard of this one!!!!
Old 03-03-2007, 12:10 AM
Rookie

I recant that statement about empty miles but there are some situation you may not get payed for empty miles. I left and may regret it but I have to move on. I live in MA and everybody from New york and PA got
NE regional runs not me though National fleet with no hope of a regional run. living in Ma no good trucking job avialable right now . Life goes on.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:12 AM
Rookie

In July I will hit 2 years with Schneider. I went through their school and at that time it was only $3000. They pay was .28 plus for me .02 geographic premium living in MI. Now you get that or for the first 6 months you get a $500 minimum pay, which ever is greater. For a noob that works out good because then you don't have to run yourself ragged when you are not used to the lifestyle.

My first 2 trucks did not have the heater in it and we were allowed 20% idle time before it impacted your fuel bonus. Throw a C/Pap machine (100% covered by insurance as of 4/3/06) and you got 40% - 50% The only miles you do not get paid are the bobtail home ones. They try to make it so you don't have a empty trailer with you while at home and they won't bobtail you more then 150 miles. So basically if you get a job and it tells you how many miles away it is, you are getting paid for it. Going home shows up as unknown because there isn't a customer code for your place to park.

The parking agreement is for insurance purposes. If you have a big enough driveway at your house to park a bobtail at least then you can say you are taking it to your house. They would love that because you can plug in the engine block when it hits below 30. They would like you to park ideally no more then 150 miles from your residence and you can just get a verbal agreement from where ever. If you got a friend that is mechanic or a wrecker driver that will jump you for free, Schneider would love ya more for that. :lol:

The kingpin lock isn't that much of a bother to buy at all. I haven't had to use it yet as I've never been under a load going home. What I wish I could find is a cuff lock for the air break handles on the dash when I'm parked.

Schneider may not be the best company out there but then again there isn't one company that is perfect for everyone.

Dedicated runs open all the time. Just keep a good relationship with your STL and look in the dedicated runs book every time you stop through any OC. Only the major ones get sent over the Qualcomm.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Senior Board Member

NONE of the good dedicated ones are even posted in the book or the qualcomm, they are posted at your home OC, walk back to the operations area, and look for the "dedicated" sign, they will be posted up there.......... and not even some of those get posted, it just depends on who your ica/stl know and how good of a relationship you have with your ICA!!!!
Old 03-03-2007, 02:12 PM
Rookie
Default schneider

have to tell ya, I spent 3/half years with Schneider, all on dedicated, with some truck/rail when dedicated ran slow....They pay empty miles, they allow you time to get used to trucking, ok, they might have slow trucks, but think about that part....Slow trucks? How many times going across I-80 does the same BIG truck pass ya? I've had the same truck pass me 3 or 4 times from Lincoln to Ogallala.... So speed is not always the thing to have!
Home time? That depends on how you and your STL get along....Webasco heaters? I ran trucks in Europe 20 years ago, that had webasco heaters.... Welcome to the future America!
Slow and steady....Have you ever counted how many Schneider trucks you see on the shoulders of America, with over 14500 drivers, a small percentage compared to most companies.
Even driving at 63, covering the Mid West, I still managed 2800 every week, out Sunday afternoon and home Friday morning/afternoon...
Not the best company, but better than others
I left them out of boredom of the routes....Now starting Monday for Koch trucking out of Minneapolis....Any have any thoughts on them?
Stay safe....
Old 03-03-2007, 03:59 PM
Board Regular

Well if you go through training in Fontana, CA you wont have to sign a contract. Its the only terminal where you can get the training an quit 3 months later an not owe them anything. Also when i called to get a job i got on a local dedicated account hauling for RoSS. Monday through friday with weekends off and home everynight.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis friend
And this would benefit a new drivers wallet how? They're are on there for one reason and one reason only, to save "Schneidley" on idling costs. :shock: