User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2007, 01:27 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default SCHNEIDER OR CRETE?

I just started driven for Schneider about a month ago at .28 a mile, Crete called me a week ago with an offer of .41 a mile, what should I do.
(CRETE or SCHNEIDER) :roll:
Old 07-03-2007, 01:30 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: SCHNEIDER OR CRETE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiecox6
I just started driven for Schneider about a month ago at .28 a mile, Crete called me a week ago with an offer of .41 a mile, what should I do.
If you're serious.....its a "no-brainer". 28 cpm on HHG versus 41 cpm on Practical miles???

Uh, Karnajj.... maybe you should take over here.... 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:

Depends on where you live and if you care about getting home timely and without fifteen phone calls/ messages to dispatch as they ignore your going home request. If you live in the east you should be ok. Also with Crete you will have to follow their guidelines on logging and speed or logs will nail you. They will keep you busy and take care of their equipment, just learn what terminals to stay out of.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:06 PM

I went through the Schneider Academy in August of 06. Again, I wish that I would of stayed with them, I got worried about the Dollar General account for a newbie, some of the places that I went to with my trainer were very difficult to get into and it was a nightmare! I know, I am a whimp but it was my first time on the road so maybe it is not that bad. Schneider was good, they do take allot of pride in their safety and training.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
How much experience do you have? If they are willing to start you out at .41 a mile you must not be a newbie. Like I've said many times the big question you have to ask yourself is how important is home time? If you want to be home once a week or even every other week Crete is not for you. Crete can get you home every two weeks but the way their dispatch system is set up it's hard to get good miles (at least 3000/wk) running like that.

Crete can get you home to Wisconsin pretty easily. We run a lot of Milwaukee, Eau Claire, Neenah and Green Bay. You could probably get on the Walmart fleet at Sterling Il. and get home once a week but they are having a hard time keeping drivers there because the miles are poor.

To provide a counter to what dipstick said, I have never had a problem getting home when I wanted. I like to tell people that Crete has only gotten me home on time twice in two years. That's because the rest of the time they got me home early. I've never gotten home late.Twice I got home 5 days early and still came back out on the day I had originally scheduled. Not earlier. If you establish a reputation of running hard (legally) they are much more apt to bend over backwards to help a driver get home. That also applies to drivers who stay out four or more weeks at a time. Two week drivers don't get the same level of help.

My first complete year at Crete I ran 137,000 paid miles. YTD I have got 71,000 miles so I'm on track to break 140,000.

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.

P.S. You will run all 48 states. I hit 45 in less than 9 months.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 08-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Rookie

What about schneider? do they cover a good portion of all the states? I'm starting training Aug 18th here in Green Bay (I'm only 30 miles away). I'm wondering what to expect...and hoping that I see all 48!!!
Old 08-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrBlonde
What about schneider? do they cover a good portion of all the states? I'm starting training Aug 18th here in Green Bay (I'm only 30 miles away). I'm wondering what to expect...and hoping that I see all 48!!!
Schneider is not a good place if you want to see all 48. They travel to all 48 but the chances of one driver getting to see them all is pretty poor. At Crete it took me less than 14 months to see them.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 08-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Rookie

I have worked for SNI for just about 2.5 yrs. I spent about 7 month OTR, 7 months Regional and over a year local. In the 7 months I was OTR I went to every state but, Florida, Montana, and Rhode Island. I also went to 6 of 10 "states" in Canada. So you do get a decent look at the country.

When I 1st started I lived in the East. I think my 2nd time out with SNI I spent 3 weeks up and down I-81 and in that general east area.

But you never know. A buddy of mine that started the same time I did was getting runs out west and all over.

I took a break from OTR and went regional for a bit, once I came back out OTR and was running a lot of south and west. Then up into Canada 2 times in one month. While I'm not a big fan of driving in Canada (mostly cuz I didnt have good canada maps) it was ok cuz I always got great miles out and in.

So, I guess you just never know where you are gonna run these days. I know that I have heard that the average miles that system people are running are are down right now. So I would recommend that you try to get on a local type account, Walmart, something rail (regional or local). We just got letters talking about pay raises, but I don't know what they are gonna be or how much or when. Hope this helps.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:57 PM
Rookie

thanks dave...
I've talked with some of the drivers around the OC here, (I live very close to GB), and it seems like if you request a long run now and then, if you're a decent employee, they'll give it to you. thanks for the info tho!!!!!

8)
Old 10-13-2007, 05:33 AM
Board Regular

i spent about 8 months driving System for schneider, and i never got west.
i got to all points east, except Vermont. if you wanna see the country, you gotta ask for it. if you're willing to stay out more than 2 weeks, they'll send you anywhere, i think.

I have a real hard time believing that Crete would give you .41 cents with a few months exp. Besides, after the first year, SNI should have you up to .39 cents minimum, and they have miles to give, afaik.

me, personally, i'm on a salaried dedicated account that gets me home most nights and weekends. not bad, but i'm starting to want more do-re-mi. All the dedicated accounts will be reviewed after the first of the year, so maybe they'll make it worth my while.

Basically, Schneider will give you just about anything you want to do as a company driver, except flatbed.