User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2006, 05:17 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Layed off from Roadway and want to go OTR

Thought I would post this secnario, and see what people's opinions were.

I was layed off this week with Roadway, I will probably get called back in mid January. I would like to go OTR for a month or two. First is do you think it will be hard to find a company willing to put me out for that short period of time? I live in Ohio so I don't want to have to go to NC or MO for orientation, I refuse to take a bus so I will be driving. I have 2 years good experience and spotless driving record and work record.
What I have been honestly thinking is trying to drive for JB Hunt, Swift or Schieder. I want to see what it is really like for them, everyone says they are the worst companys to drive for and I want to find out. I could care less what they pay, but I cannot stand to sit here at home. One other thing, I have never been to California and would like to go (would like to cross Donners pass) Any input, information, suggestions or even smart ass comments are welcome.

Old 11-17-2006, 06:05 PM
Senior Board Member

I am a former Swift driver, and regardless of what everyone says, it comes down to it is what you want to make of it. I had times when I hated the company, and times when they treated me great. Sometimes the freight was there, sometimes it wasn't. Just like any other company really. It just takes time to learn their systems, and to find a driver manager that you can really work well with.

EDIT - I also ran out of the Columbus, OH terminal for a while, and one of their extended coverage guys was my driver manager... top notch. I would honestly go back to Swift today, no questions asked if I could have him for my DM again.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:09 PM
Rookie

You said it was ok to smart butt so, if you want temporary why not try KBR?

Actually, i am being serious.

But to be really serious, i think there are temp companies that offer this kind of thing. You need to look those up on the net.

The other thing is it will probably take at least 2 weeks to process the paper work and you say you will "probably" get called back in mid january. So we are really only talking about 1 month. Do you think that is cool to JB, schnieder and/or swift? Remember, they all use DAC and it might not look good on your record to quit so soon.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:28 PM
Senior Board Member

going with JB Hunt you will not go west of I-35
Old 11-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Rookie
Default w

what is dac
Old 11-17-2006, 07:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Interesting tidbit.... I worked for Swift for two years.... and nothing shows on my DAC, it's like I never existed.... :shock:

Driverman, your DAC report is like a trucking credit report. It keeps track of all commerical trucking jobs you've held, and what kind of safety records you had there. It also contains information on drug screens and why you left a company, or why you were terminated.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:18 PM
Senior Board Member

http://driversource.net/cgi-bin/jobs.cgi?category=4
http://transportation.careerbuilder....217091695-XR-2
their is another staffing agency i am thinking of but couldnt find they offer day to day positions well let ya know i think they have offices all around.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:34 PM
Board Regular

I doubt most OTR companies would be willing to hire you for such a short period of time due to cost alone. As others have said, consider a temp company or even a holiday position with UPS. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:18 PM
Senior Board Member

I can get on at UPS, teamsters can get you that job but it's only 4-5 hours a day. I can make more drawing unemployment with only working 4-5 hours a day. I would like to find a driving job. I figured JB would go farther West than 35. I guess finding a staffing agency for holiday work driving might be the way to go.

I'm just not really interested in sitting and drawing unemployment especially in the winter time. If it were summer time NO PROBLEM I would be sitting on the Ohio River fishing everyday. I did call JB and talked to a recruiter, she didn't seem to think it would be a problem only working 2 months and just quit. Didn't really like the idea she wasn't acknowledging what I wanted to do and that I just quit on them. Not really worried about the DAC thing, I don't think Roadway will go out of business where I would have to find another job.

Still thinking on what to do

Old 11-17-2006, 09:57 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben45750
I can get on at UPS, teamsters can get you that job but it's only 4-5 hours a day. I can make more drawing unemployment with only working 4-5 hours a day. I would like to find a driving job. I figured JB would go farther West than 35. I guess finding a staffing agency for holiday work driving might be the way to go.

I'm just not really interested in sitting and drawing unemployment especially in the winter time. If it were summer time NO PROBLEM I would be sitting on the Ohio River fishing everyday. I did call JB and talked to a recruiter, she didn't seem to think it would be a problem only working 2 months and just quit. Didn't really like the idea she wasn't acknowledging what I wanted to do and that I just quit on them. Not really worried about the DAC thing, I don't think Roadway will go out of business where I would have to find another job.

Still thinking on what to do

Can't you work the dock or do city driving for 2 months until they call you back ?