User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2006, 11:38 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Yeah, my options were to go on the extra board, I would get called in if the board went to rest, Happened 1 time in the last 4 years. I could work the dock, I would go above all the casuals which would be on average 1 day a week maybe 2 days or take a complete layoff. Living by the phone is bad enough when you work every day but to live by the phone when your only working 1 day a week would be miserable. So I took the full layoff thinking I could have a holiday vacation. I saved when I was at Conway expecting a layoff with them, it got slow to soon so went to Roadway. With Roadway I had 2 great months on the road with them untill these last 2 weeks it slowed way down. I have had the OTR bug for a while and would like to go that route.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben45750
I can get on at UPS, teamsters can get you that job but it's only 4-5 hours a day. I can make more drawing unemployment with only working 4-5 hours a day. I would like to find a driving job. I figured JB would go farther West than 35. I guess finding a staffing agency for holiday work driving might be the way to go.

I'm just not really interested in sitting and drawing unemployment especially in the winter time. If it were summer time NO PROBLEM I would be sitting on the Ohio River fishing everyday. I did call JB and talked to a recruiter, she didn't seem to think it would be a problem only working 2 months and just quit. Didn't really like the idea she wasn't acknowledging what I wanted to do and that I just quit on them. Not really worried about the DAC thing, I don't think Roadway will go out of business where I would have to find another job.

Still thinking on what to do
If you are REMOTELY serious about being a driver for any length of time, your DAC is EVERYTHING. Why screw it up for a month's worth of driving?
Old 11-17-2006, 11:49 PM
Senior Board Member

JB Hunt doesn't go west of I-35? I guess nobody told that to those drivers based out of the JB Hunt terminal near me in El Paso, TX. :lol:
Old 11-18-2006, 12:58 AM
Board Regular

I agree that a temp agency would be a good choice for you, many are begging for drivers and don't care how much or how long you want to work. Most around here have a variety of runs. They will understand if you just want to commit for a couple of months.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:10 AM
Senior Board Member

PackRatTDI I believe they are regional drivers not OTR. When I pulled for JB as a company and O/O you were east of I-35 unless you were a regional driver in CA or AZ things could have changed sheepdancer will have to answer that
Old 11-18-2006, 01:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldiesPlating
If you are REMOTELY serious about being a driver for any length of time, your DAC is EVERYTHING. Why screw it up for a month's worth of driving?
I agree it's important, it's important when your looking for a job. I plan on staying with Roadway, it will be my last driving job. But my luck something will happen with another company and then Roadway decides not to bring me back. :lol:

Old 11-18-2006, 05:32 PM
Rookie

Ever thinking of getting off the road gig and do city work ? I talked to one of our supers(yellow) this morning and he said that Roadway has got to be one of the most screwed up companies out there. I know I'd sure hate being laid off every couple of months or so. Heck were are in the big push now (holidays). We have more work than we can handle at our Terminal. I just got home from Sat. dock work
Old 11-19-2006, 01:26 AM
Senior Board Member

As others have stated, I don't know if an OTR Co. would want to hire you for such a short period of time.

I do know that this time of year, many OTR Co.'s see a reduction in demand and freight volume.

There is one other concern that I have here; If you did get on with them, then, irrespective of what "promises" a recruiter might make, you would most likely have no real assurance of getting back home once you get recalled by Roadway. In regards to timing, I don't know what your window of opportunity for resuming work if you are 1200 miles away and get the call to go back to Roadway.

If I were in your shoes, I'd get something local and temporary, and just hang tight!!

BOL2U!!
Old 11-19-2006, 01:26 AM
Senior Board Member

naw, I cannot staaaaaand doing city work. Roadway might be a little screwed up but hey Yellow runs us right? But i'm very happey with Roadway, and I don't mind being layed off and I hope they do the same next year. Ken_o mentioned driver staffing company's and I think I will go that route instead of OTR.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Well talked to several staffing company's, just isn't going to work out because I live to far away. It's bad enough that I live 2 hours away from the Roadway terminal and I really want to go OTR.

So Monday I start orientation with JB hunt and I would like to thank Sheepdancer for all the help. I am looking forward to driving for them until Roadway calls me back.