User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default discouraged Werner driver needs advice

Please save all the I told you so's. I am a new driver with Werner for 2 months now. I heard all the horror stories before I went with them but had to learn the hard way myself. Can anyone suggest a company that will take a driver with only 2 months experience that doesnt s@ck. I like Crete but dont have the experience for them, Im almost willing to take anything but Werner at this point.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:57 PM
Board Regular

You don't say where you live, however give Transport America a call I do believe they will work with you. Since you only have 2 months experience you may have to go with one of their trainers for a week or two because they have to cover the a$$ insurance wise. They will treat you with respect and nothing like Werner.

Doesn't matter where you have been, it's where you are going in life that counts!
Old 12-22-2006, 02:16 PM
Senior Board Member

so what is so bad with Werner that you want to leave? Cant you work out the problems and still be driving get some more experience then you will be in a better position to drive for another company
Old 12-22-2006, 02:37 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the tip movinit, Ill look into them.

Classic the main problem with Werner is .26cpm and the lack of miles. My loads are never late , Ive never gone into log violation yet Im not getting enough miles. I dont know of too many drivers that would deal with a $5oo wk paycheck for too long. I dont wanto be a job hopper but I do have a family to support.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz
Thanks for the tip movinit, Ill look into them.

Classic the main problem with Werner is .26cpm and the lack of miles. My loads are never late , Ive never gone into log violation yet Im not getting enough miles. I dont know of too many drivers that would deal with a $5oo wk paycheck for too long. I dont wanto be a job hopper but I do have a family to support.

I have no driving experience . . . so take the advice for what it's worth.

Before jumping, consider the total costs involved. What will your bottom line for 2007 be if you stay? What will it be if you jump? Generally, you will earn more by not jumping unless you're really getting hosed by an unfair pay structure.

Looked at another way, if you do jump ship, at least do it with the understanding that it may not help your family's financial situation for a while.

I've been hammering at the seasonal lack of miles and business for weeks now, trying to understand it for myself.

I still don't. I can't get enough drivers to respond to make a fair assessment of whether there is a slow down, whether it is seasonal-related or economics-related.

But from what I read, it appears that we're in a slump and all companies are slower than normal. Freight is slow right now (it seems).

Have you taked to management at Werner? Other more experienced Werner drivers? Is this normal for them? Have they seen this happen before/ What do they expect for '07?

And again . . . I'm a total newbie to the industry . . . not speaking from experience.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Freight is a little slow for everyone right now, plus the fact that you are still a new driver. Personally, I would stick it out with them a month or so more. Be nice about it and ask your dispatcher or FM what is it going to take to get more miles. Tell him or her that you think you are ready to handle more miles. Dont be a smartass about it. Then see what they say. There are drivers at Werner getting good miles right now. Ask the dispatcher what they are doing different than you.
Like I said, you are still pretty new at this with only 2 months. A lot of it has to do with the fact that you havent learned a lot of the things that help you get more miles.
As far as the 26cpm part....yeah that sucks no matter how many miles you get. But you have to get your experience somewhere.

On the otherside of things.....If you go ahead and quit, I can put you with a trainer until you get the full 3 months and after that we will pay you a lot more than 26cpm.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:17 PM
Board Regular
Default General commodity freight is slow . .

. . all the way around. Regional and dedicated fleets are probably doing a little better than OTR.

That said, part of driver development is learning how to get miles. Don't be afraid to call and ask for work. Don't rely on just your DM and the qualcomm. Some planners/dispatchers will work with you and some won't. When you hear "there is no freight", ask to be moved even when it will take you further from home.

When all else fails, let your DM know that you're not happy and that if things don't improve quickly, you'll walk. Depending on who you listen to, it costs these guys around $6000 to get you on the road and it will cost another 6k to replace you. If it comes to that, you want to leave under the best terms possible. Don't quit or even threaten to quit while you're under load.

Try filling out the online app here and at other sites like layover.com. Investigate the nibbles, talk to a few recruiters and ask questions here. Whatever you do, don't jump until you have something else lined up.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:31 PM
Rookie

Thanks for all the helpful responses, its alot to think about, possibly just tough it out a few more months till more doors open for me.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Senior Board Member

I have yet to meet a Werner driver that was getting more than 2000 to 2300 miles per week. Some were happy with that, most were not. Crete gets a lot of Werner drivers who turn in their trucks in Omaha and then get a ride to Lincoln to join us. However, if you did decide to go with Crete be prepared to start from scratch and train for another 8 weeks.
Might get lucky (depending on your skill level) and get away with 5 or 6.
You'll definitely get more pay and significantly more miles (I avg 3300 to 3500 a week) though.
Going with Transport America would not be much of an improvement. Some, but not much.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 12-22-2006, 06:57 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

Frogman, freight always slows down this time of year, from Dec 1 on till about the second week in Jan. Several reasons. Places don't want to recieve stuff and have it in inventory at the first of the year and have to pay tax on it. Building is down because of weather. Places close for taking inventory. Right around now they can't find anyone to work the docks, same around New Years. I've been doing this for close to 40 years and it is the same every year, slow, and the rates suck. I always plan on having the truck parked by sometime in the second week of Dec. and it don't move till the second week of Jan. Lucked out this year and didn't have to deadhead far Came from LA to Mobile then picked up 4 pieces of LTL right there going to Orlando, hour and a half from home