User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2006, 08:18 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the excellent advice. I will try to stick it out to at least the 6 month point, there are some companies out there that do open there doors at that point. Im not the kind of person to be a job hopper, I just want to find the right fit sooner than later. Again I appreciate the help and have a safe holiday.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktari
If you're slow, and aren't in a big hurry to get to the next load are there opportunities to unload yourself? We had a Werner recruiter in the other day and if I remember correctly, he said they'd pay up to $150 if the driver did the unlaod themselves. Maybe do that once or twice a week if time allows?

Just a thought.
Werner pays a maximum of $40 to unload a trailer and its rare that you will unless your on a dedicated route that requires it like Family Dollar.
Oh. Well, it WAS a recruiter and I'd swear he said it was around $150. Oh well, just trying to help. :sad:

Good luck whatever happens.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:33 PM

even if u can stick it out for just a few more mths there are several companies that will hire u with 3-6 mths if u dont get at least that much u will have to go thru training all again then u really will have a small paycheck for a while.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:50 PM
Senior Board Member

JB will take ya with experience and pay a hell of alot more that Werner is now. Miles will be better than what you are getting
Old 12-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Senior Board Member

My miles sucked at Werner for awhile when I switched from Western Regional to 48 ...But much of it was me ,As I started to slack for instance if I was given a load on Monday that was 600 miles that did not deliver until Wednesday morning ,but I could be at the cons that night with I would not do it I would take until Tuesday night ,and I would shut down at a truck stop 2 hrs away rather than park over night at the cons then drive over from the trk stop Wednesday morning....Yes I was on time ,But I was wasting much time slacking this way ,and not only did I know this was not the way to run but my dispatcher wasn't to thrilled with it either ,and it reflected in the runs I started to get . When I pulled my head out of my A$$ my runs magically returned to 600-1000 mile runs and my dispatcher did what ever it took to get me miles ,As a result my miles were 2800-3200 every week even when others were sitting .

Werner only pays .26 CPM...But making miles/money with them is no different than Crete Or CFI . I started to slack for awhile and it showed in the trips I was given the miles per wk I was running ...And my 500 a week checks . You will hear your dispatcher say things like time management ,But all that really boils down to is running as far as you legally can with your available hours for the day ,and utilizing shipper/receivers as your shut down points rather than truck stops as often as you can to make the best use of you available hours every day . If you are given a load that can deliver much earlier than scheduled notify dispatch ,and call the cons if you can't manage early delivery inquire about a swap or split ,and keep moving the load I have been split as little as 50 miles from the final ,and handed a new load to keep moving...

Learn how to run ,and make miles before you consider jumping to another company ,as if you don't you may just frustrate yourself and keep jumping from company 2 company looking for that magic situation where miles just fall into your lap. I would suggest you stick it out for for a bit longer learn the ropes then train for 6 months so you can earn 12-1500 wk while doing your 1 yr at Werner then move on to a company where you can make about the same running solo .
Old 12-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

.26 cpm? I wouldn't get outta bed for that kinda scratch. But, to each their own.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
.26 cpm? I wouldn't get outta bed for that kinda scratch. But, to each their own.

Nope .26 cpm isn't the best in the industry ...But if one can't make miles at Werner then jumping to another company isn't going to change much ,as making miles at Crete CFI Etc is the same as making them at Werner ,So a 1600-1800 mile driver might jump up to a 1800-2000 mile driver ,but until they change the way they run they will not be running 3k a week and making $1200.00-1400.00$ with any company .

As for the local jobs I looked into that however all the good paying union local/non union jobs require me to don a ridiculous outfit they call a "UNIFORM" ...no thanks ,But I'm still looking for a good local job ,and when I find one that doesn't require a uniform I'll be all over it.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:55 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Sweet, No wonder i've been well lazy I dont drive near as hard as I did at first.. I'm making .26 cents per mile I don't really care about running a ton of miles.

Oh I hit two deer today right in front of the rest area on I-64 going westbound the MOREHEAD, KY one... Hit both head on oh well. They staired straight at me.. I didnt swerve to miss em. I didnt overly brake I just attemped to slow up..
Old 12-30-2006, 09:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Not trying to tick you off or anything but... If your hungry, need to put food on the table, and pay bills .26 cpm is better than .00 cpm.
Ya I know... I'm not a trucker yet, but if I don't get hired by the company I WANT to work for right out of school, I'll take that .26 cpm untill I can fine something better.